PDA

View Full Version : What should i'm in alot of pain doing pt, and i feel like i can't go any longer?

Kelvin Quinonez
04-20-04, 09:43 PM
could you give me some advice on how i can make it through a hard pt session. For example if were doing push-ups, and my muscles ache and I feel that I can't go on.

lprkn
04-20-04, 10:08 PM
"Pain is temporary, pride is forever."

Kelvin Quinonez
04-20-04, 10:10 PM
yeah,but I would like to hear some advice from Marines on what they did.

sgt.lane
04-20-04, 10:20 PM
keep going, quit is no longer going to be in your vocabulary........................................ ..........................

1recon
04-20-04, 10:28 PM
Remember pain is weakness leaving the body. Fight through the pain and it will get easier with time. If you quit you will never get any further than you are now. Don't focus on how much longer you have to go, that makes it feel wors. focus on something totally different. Try to pretend people are watching you and if you quit you will look really really bad. This helps me alot. I know you said you wanted advice from Marines, but I thought this also might help. Also just stay motivated.

jdfairman
04-20-04, 10:46 PM
You need to know the difference between soreness, fatigue, and true pain. Being sore and fatigued is good. True pain is a different story. Pain means that something is wrong and you need to chill out. I am not giving you a license to be a lazy-ass here. I'm telling you to learn your body and what its telling you. If you are just sore, keep going. If you are experiencing sharp intense pain, slow down.

1833/8486
04-21-04, 07:09 AM
KELVIN,
IF YOU FEEL THAT YOU CAN'T SUCK IT UP NOW.....PLEASE DO NOT GO TO RECRUIT TRAINING. OUR MARINES IN IRAQ ARE LIVING SORENESS, FATIGUE , PAIN AND DEATH .THEY DESERVE BETTER MIND STRENGTH FROM A MARINE NEXT TO THEM IN TIGHT SITUATIONS. PAIN FROM PUSH UPS OR PT BEFORE BOOT.....IS A RED FLAG.
BUT IF YOUR DESIRE IS TO BE THE BEST AND TO SERVE WITH THE BEST. FOCUS YOUR THOUGHTS ON WHY YOU CHOSE THE CORPS INSTEAD OF THE OTHER MILITARY OPTIONS. THAT SHOULD GIVE YOU A POINT OF FOCUS

Kalbo
04-21-04, 08:04 AM
Kelvin,

Make sure you are streching your muscles before and after your workouts, and when ever you have a chance. Keep pushing your pain level, you should see improve. You may want to check with a certified physical trainer to see how you are doing your exercises and streching.

Another thing to watch is what you are eating. Some foods can help your muscles while other may be hurting your muscles and therefore giving you pain.

But, there will also be alot of time your just going have to "suck it up". Good Luck

Bill

arnoldyG/2/5
04-21-04, 10:21 AM
There is a difference between the pain of physical activity and something being wrong with your body. Your body will endure much more than you think it will but you have to be mentally strong to withstand the pain. In preparation for Boot Camp and being a Marine you need to continually push yourself beyond your perceived limits. How you motivate yourself to do that is up to you but keep this in mind, your life as well as the lives of your fellow Marines depend on you and that should be motivation enough regardless of the pain.

Kelvin Quinonez
04-21-04, 10:32 AM
Thanks to all of you for the advice. It wil help me get through boot camp. I understand that you have to be strong in a situation like the Marines in Iraq are. So I will just have to suck it up like some of you say.

HardJedi
04-21-04, 01:16 PM
did my time in the infantry. I did my time in the Corps. There was never a day without SOME kinda pain in there for me. There are all those cute little sayings, like"pain is tepmorary, pride is forever" and "pain is weakness leaving the body". Those are things designed to motivate someone. And if you need that kind of EXTERNAL motivation, then fine.

Look, I was the worlds WORST PFT'er before I went to boot camp. I could BARELY make the 1 1/2 mile run without collapsing, could only do maybe 5 pull ups on a good day. I COULD do a crap load of sit ups, but that was it. There were SOOO many times that I thought I could not possibly take another step, and that my arms couldn't possibly support my wieght for one more second. But you know what? As much as I hurt, and as hard as it was to breathe at times, what kept me going? I am TERRIFIED of failure. Whenever I thought about quitting anything, I thought to myself " how would this look? How would I ever face my family or friends again, knowing that I just GAVE up, cause I hurt?"

We ALL have our limitations. There are people who could outrun me going BACKWARDS for god's sake, that could NEVER keep up with me on a hump. So, who was stronger? Who was the better Marine? I sure have no answer to that. All the advice I can give you is the same as I have given several other potential Marines, and the same as my Senior DI gave to me. Never stop trying. If you fail to do something, if you are just physically incapable of doing something, whatever you do, just do NOT stop trying. Keep pushing. Not everyone In the Marine Corps can run an 18 minute 3 mile. Not everyone qualifies as an expert Rifleman. Not everyone can walk at 4-5miles an hour for 40 miles with 50 pounds of gear strapped to their back. But the ones who make it, the ones who have everyones respect? Those are the guys who never gave up, and neer stopped trying, no matter what.

A couple of true stories for you.
Final PFT in Bootcamp. I did my 80 sit ups. I finally for the first time ever got my 20 pull ups ( my previous high to that point was 12) Then came the run. I went as fast as I could starting out. A BIG mistake. after turning the corner, and heading back, I had about a mile left to go, and I thought CRAP I am never even gonna finish, I started too fast. I couldn't breath, my side hurt, my legs felt like rubber, and i thought about walking for a minute, just to ease up. But I got mad at myself for that thought and kept going. Once the finish line came into site, I sprinted with everything i had that last 1/4 mile or so, and when i crossed that finish line I threw up, and passed out. Know what? I finished in 1820, best time ever had been 2000 flat before that. And no one made fun of me. Matter of fact, My Senior DI stood my up and used me as an example, he said "SEE? now THAT is giving it your ALL! THAT is pushing yourself!"

Second true story? I'll make this short.
SOI. In the middle of our 20 mile Grad Hump, I tripped and fell, and my whole leg felt like it was on fire. But I got up and went on. Finished the hump, and sat down and YELLED for a doc. They put my on a stretcher, went to the hospital. Got x-ray's. Had 13 stress fractures in my lower leg.

It is not all about what you can do physically. Being a Marine is about HEART and DESIRE.

Eric Robinson
04-21-04, 01:29 PM
It's Marines like HardJedi that make me proud that I joined the Marine Corps.

Saurian'sEdge
04-21-04, 01:34 PM
When ya feel your legs shaking and arms trembling and yer gut is going to explode, that's good pain. Now if ya feel a pain that feels like you just ****ed on an electric fence, thats bad pain. Sharp pain, intense, electric like pain is a no-no. Trembling, shakeing, feel like ya did yer girlfriend REALLY good, now that's good pain. Can ya tell the difference?

HardJedi
04-21-04, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the kind words , Eric, but there are many other Marines who have done things that wore much harder. Heck, I have done things that were harder. but Like I said, thanks.

:D

naclyknine
04-23-04, 03:42 PM
I just imagined myself going home as a freakin' non-hacker. I would have rather died than face my friends and family and have to tell them that I was not Marine material. Don't imagine yourself failing. Visualize yourself making it through. Once you put on that EGA, are you going to tell one of your fellow Marines that you would like to save his life but, gosh, I'm just too tired and my muscles are all achy? Your body will do what your mind tells it. Your mind will do what your Drill Instructor tells it. Get some!

ROD_S.O.D.
05-20-04, 12:11 AM
Remember this...

"If it don't kill you, it only makes you stronger."

When I went thru boot camp back in 84, this was my little saying I'd repeat in my head over and over, everyday.

By third phase...sheeeat!...I was ready to run thru a stone wall if my D.I. had ordered me to.

You'll be fine Kelvin....be strong in your mind, your body WILL follow.

ROD_S.O.D.

Kelvin Quinonez
05-20-04, 11:58 PM
Thanks, a lot everyone. Im trying to get ready as much as i can. I

cjwright90
05-21-04, 06:28 AM
Just don't quit Kelvin. You can do it. It all depends on what you have in your mind and heart that counts. If you think you will fail, you will fail. Like I said before, I almost quit in boot camp, but the firewatch and I had a little talk. He reminded me of how I would feel had I gone home early. How my friends would never let me hear the end of it, all kinds of truths. I did not quit trying after that. Matter of fact, I kicked up the intensity a notch after that. I did not finish top of my class, but I sure did improve on my PFTs!

yellowwing
05-21-04, 06:38 AM
I remember a recruit that all through training and just could not make the 3 mile run in a reliable passing time. On the last PFT he pushed himself so hard he practically collapsed afterward. He passed!

The Corpsman walked him over to an outside water spigot and made him sit under the water spray to cool him down. He had reached down deep and passed one of the last hurtles in becoming a Marine.

ALSEUT
06-04-04, 08:02 AM
Here is Boot Camp story. I couldn't run for @#$% I would always fall out of the run. I would blame it on this and that why I couldn't run. I worried each and every night. The trick is not to think about the damn run. Get your mind on something else. I was always thinking about being home showing off to all the whimps who wouldn't join the Corps. It worked. Finally i would run every other day after boot 4-6 miles. Still not a fast runner, but a runner.

Kelvin Quinonez
06-04-04, 10:07 AM
ok

snipowsky
06-11-04, 11:12 AM
INTESTINAL FORTITUDE = digging deep inside you for something you think you don't have but in reality you really do if you dig deep enough to find it.

NO SURRENDER and never give up! Trust me if and when you cross that parade deck as a Marine you will never ever have a greater feeling in the world. I still get goose bumps thinking about that day!

Good luck Kelvin! I wish you well and Semper Fi!

JAMarine
06-11-04, 12:05 PM
Kelvin, take the advise and the lessons from the Marines here. I have read your post and the others responses. I've also read the crap and the mind altering 'sayings'.
Know your own Body young man. Know your limits If you continually pass those limits and tear yourself down it takes so much longer to recap the damage. My Brothers and I always had a saying; "This Marine beside me is my Brother. I can not survive without my Brother. When my Brother falls, I will NOT leave him. I will pick him up and we will continue together.
Kelvin, don't give up on yourself. If you fall, we will pick you up and carry on together.
Good Luck and God Speed son. I'm Proud for you.

rich
if you ever need someone to yak with e-mail me. We're here for you. We're here for all of you.

PooleeWebber
06-11-04, 01:59 PM
It's great to see all the Marines actually taking care of us worthless poolee's, and I'm very grateful for it.

I'd say my biggest worry is similar to Kelvin's....I know there will be a point in bootcamp where I feel like I cannot go on any longer, where my body feels like it's close to shutting down, where mentally I am spent.

I'm confident that I will be motivated enough to get over this hump. It still worries me, though. Does anyone have any advice, suggestions, or stories about this situation and how I can get it done?

WillManning
06-11-04, 04:27 PM
Just don't think about it... One day is one day closer to the Parade Deck.

Kelvin Quinonez
06-11-04, 05:20 PM
Thanks alot everyone. I'm trying my hardest to get as ready as i can. Although i know there is no way to be ready. All of your advice is and will help me. I leave in July. Thanks againd everyone, i appreciate it.

DebSantos
06-11-04, 11:50 PM
Kelvin sounds like you have some awsome encouragement in here ! I would like to encourage you with one of my favorites! Hope you can use it !

Isaiah 40: 30-31 reads

Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in he Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles;they will run and not grow weary,they will walk and not be faint.

Take it for what its worth. (it works for me)
Good luck to you !

Kelvin Quinonez
06-12-04, 12:15 AM
Thanks DebSantos. I like this one

Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.

Philippians 4:13

HardJedi
06-12-04, 03:16 AM
hey webber, just go back to the start of this thread and read the whole thing. tons of info there

CrazyBrave83
06-12-04, 09:04 AM
Kelvin,
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~moi/pullups.htm

http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyattsville/PT%20Prep%20Guide.htm

When Poolees ask me "what'd you do to get Ironman?" I tell'em about those two programs.

Its a little off topic, but you had mentioned that you were training for July's ship date. Well there ya go... use Recon Rons pullup program, supplement with 3 sets of max pushups every morning, 4-6 sets of crunches everyday 30-40 at time. Then follow the running program in the second link, if you get into a YMCA, or a gym, then supplement your running with an everyday swimming program.

If you follow those programs, you'll max on your PFT.

Eat a lot of greens (veggies) for good cardio. Eat a lot of protein for strong muscles. Cut the crap out of your diet. (little debbies, soda pop, etc.)

Supplement with weight lifting as you get more advanced.

Never stop training. Even after boot camp. Keep raising the bar. Set a goal, achieve the goal, then raise the bar even higher.

Push yourself at all times. Not just in training. In everything you do in life.

If the Marine Corps has taught me anything in the last 344 days, its that you should put forth 110% effort at all times. Anything less could cost a fellow Marines life in combat. Maybe even yours.

-????

PooleeWebber
06-12-04, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by HardJedi
hey webber, just go back to the start of this thread and read the whole thing. tons of info there

Acknowledged, thanks.

DebSantos
06-12-04, 11:21 AM
Hey Kelvin , Philippans 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me! Thats a good one and as long as you know where to draw your strength from, you'll be just fine! Did you know that Evandor Holyfeild (the boxer) has Philp 4:13 on his robe that he wears before getting in the ring? hanging on to that belief sure did him well and hid record shows that! Dont want to bore you but my son is also a boxer for 10 years now ,before he left he was ranked 7th in the nation in his amature weight class.when he came home from boot camp he went and got a tatoo . It was the lords praying hands with his dog tags wrapped around them .He left the tags blank, I asked what are you going to have tatooed in side the tags? he said Philippians 4:13 I find it cool that this one is also your favorite! by the way how are your pull ups? Take care

Kelvin Quinonez
06-12-04, 11:22 AM
Thanks alot man.

Kelvin Quinonez
06-12-04, 11:25 AM
I can do 7 pullups right now. I do a 3 mile run in 20:40. I can't remember how many crunches I did. That's awsome that your son did that.

Kelvin Quinonez
06-12-04, 11:26 AM
Thanks for all of the advice everyone.

Blindside8162
06-12-04, 12:04 PM
I hit 21 pullups last Saturday at our poolee function. Thats a personal best. I got 103 sit-ups and my 1 1/2 mile is 11:25.

snipowsky
06-12-04, 01:38 PM
I won't even lie...one thing that helped me through boot camp is my faith in God and attending church every Sunday at Parris Island helped me emotionally and spiritually to keep on trucking through the next weeks events. If you have God in your life all things are possible. You just don't even realize what talents he gave you until you max yourself out and go beyond what you thought are your very own capabilities!

Oh and seeing them sexy female DI's every now and then on PI was a motivator. lol I got busted checking out a female DI in formation one time and my SDI let her thrash me. Talk about one happy recruit. I was loving be thrashed by her!

If you have that WHO DARES WINS attitude nothing will stop you! Don't get me wrong boot camp is very physical, but if you go there with the right mental attitude you will not be stopped by anything and you will become a UNITED STATES MARINE!

The smartest thing I've seen so far by any of you Poolees is what CrazyBrave83 said. I can see a Marine in him already and I like that! Follow his lead and when you get to boot camp be your own leader. If you study your USMC knowledge your recruiters should be giving you and do what you are told...there is no reason your DI's or your SDI won't realize in time how locked on you really are and you will stand out from the rest!

Semper Fi!

DebSantos
06-14-04, 08:24 AM
Kelvin, one more thing. NO MORE AND NO LESS ! Just do as your told ,and do it fast!!!! did I say fast I meant to say FAST

CrazyBrave83
06-14-04, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Blindside8162
I hit 21 pullups last Saturday at our poolee function. Thats a personal best. I got 103 sit-ups and my 1 1/2 mile is 11:25.

25 Pullups, 153 Crunches, 9:36 for 1.5

Beat me. If its in your heart, you will. But you HAVE to train. Your diet is important. And most of all, you have to earn it.

Side note. When I started with the DEP I did 4 pullups, 46 crunches, and 13:38 for 1.5.

Keep this attitude... "If you ever DREAM of beating me, you'd better wake up and apologize."

-????

Angel
06-14-04, 09:44 AM
You'll make it through if you put your mind and heart into it.. Stay motivated and while you're at boot camp make sure you write to everyone at home that would write back to you.. They will give you the motivations and the strength to keep on going.. Motivations letter or hearing from home will keep you stronger and it will push you forward into succeeding because you'll want to see them proud of you when you are done.. Keep in close contact with your families and friends while you're in bootcamp.. It'll make you realize who is your real friends and who you can rely on.. It'll make you stronger... Stay motivated..

enviro
06-14-04, 10:08 AM
Damn good on the pull-ups Poolees - keep it up! Pull-ups are the money points for the PFT score.

I remember back when "kipping" was allowed with pull-ups. I had it down to an exact science and could do about 35 of them pretty easily. Then somebody got the idea that we should be doing dead-hangs. I went from a solid 20 every time to 7 on my best day. I managed to work my way back up to about 12-15 before I got out.

Crunches are better than the old sit-ups we were doing. Sit-ups hurt the back too much.

And when I turned 27 and got an old man's score that helped, too! ;)

Anybody who thinks 27 isn't old, hasn't been in the Marine Corps. I think we age in dog years.

HardJedi
06-14-04, 02:55 PM
HELL YEAH Enviro! Ever seen a 38 year old First Sergeant who served in the infantry? Thjose guy's look like they are in the 60's -70's! LOL

Personally though, I alway's thought the sit-ups/ crunchess were the easy points. Hell, I was a fat slob before boot and I could do 80

lovelldj
06-14-04, 03:21 PM
The DI tells you to do pushups until he gets tired. Funny thing is, some people drop after 10-15, some after 20-30, and some of the best after 60, 70, etc. But, eventually, all stop doing pushups. You can only do so many pushups. But strangely, while you're lying on the deck on your face, someone else's boots a few inches from your noise, sweat making a pool underneath you, eventually, you get more tired of being on your face than you are of doing pushups, so you start doing pushups again. You don't last long - you were already tired. But, you do more. Then the DI gets bored and has you switch to situps or bends and thrusts or running in place (higher! higher! higher!). You just keep doing it. And when you're about to quit, you do one more. Then you do one more. By the time the 12 weeks are over, you can do many more of each than you used to be able to, and it's all kind of a joke by then. You're no longer afraid of your DI, and you look forward to a good strenuous PT session. That's when they need to graduate you and move you on to something else - you got out of recruit training what you were supposed to get out of it. One of those things is the realization that when you need to, you can call up extra reserves from your body. You don't even need someone yelling at you to do it. You just do one more.

Blindside8162
06-16-04, 08:04 AM
You must be like the enegizer bunny in crunches crazybrave! I'll get back to you next month about my new IST scores. I'll beat you before i ship out in September!

BIGFISH
06-22-04, 11:59 PM
I was sick and could't do the run , I had to go to the Hosp. after I got out of the Hosp, I went to a new Paltoon, so it took me one more try to make it out of boot camp. In Nam during tet a rocket blew me against a tank, I did't think much of it, but I was taken to 95th Army hosp. there were a lot of wounded but the doctor saw this marine first he gave me a shot of morfine, and told me to lay still, someone from my unit came and said I had orders to go back to the field right now, I went out for two weeks my leg swelled up twice its size, I was ordered to the rear, I went to China Beach Hosp. the doctor said I had Broken my leg in 5 places. The thing I'm getting at is never give up , it took me three tries to make it out of boot camp, but once you do you might have a chance to make a difference in your unit.