PDA

View Full Version : College hoops star and future Marine in spotlight

thedrifter
04-17-04, 03:15 PM
College hoops star and future Marine in spotlight
Submitted by: Marine Corps Recruiting Command
Story Identification Number: 200441412303
Story by MCRC Public Affairs

QUANTICO, Va. (April 14, 2004) -- Courtney Davidson, team captain for the 2003-2004 Navy women's basketball team, put one last touch on a stellar collegiate basketball career, appearing in the 16th Annual Mountain Dew College Basketball Slam Dunk and Three-Point Championships in San Antonio, Texas on April 2. The competition, held in conjunction with the 2003-2004 Men's Final Four, brought together the top men and women student athletes across the nation for a show of shooting excellence.

Davidson scored 11 points in the first round of the competition to place fifth overall in the women's three-point contest.

"The three-point contest was a great opportunity," said the New Oxford, Pa., native. "I met a lot of good players, had a wonderful time in San Antonio, but most importantly, was proud to represent the Naval Academy at a national-level event."

Beth Jones of Purdue, narrowly edged her out after a five-minute delay for officials to review the videotape, resulted in rescoring of Jones from 10 points to 12, moving Jones into the semi finals. Though her exit from the competition came early, Davidson's involvement in the annual tournament carried on through the Women's Final Four in New Orleans. She was also one of several athletes featured in the official program for the Women's Final Four. A one-page photo essay of Davidson highlights her contributions as a prominent woman basketball player on and off the court. One photo shows Davidson, a future helicopter pilot for the Marine Corps, standing next to a helicopter with a listing of her athletic and academic accomplishments. Davidson is excited about her future in the Marine Corps.

"Through four years of training, I have learned a lot about leadership, self-discipline, and time management," said Davidson. "I have had the opportunity to interact with and learn from Marine officers on the Yard. Also, the Naval Academy's summer training program gave me the opportunity to participate in an introduction to TBS for four weeks in Quantico and allowed me to spend another four weeks with active Marine units at Camp Lejeune, NC."

Davidson leaves the Naval Academy holding the Navy and Patriot League record for most three-point field goals made in a career, with 245. She also holds Navy records for the most points scored in both a season (530) and in a career (1,857). Davidson is a two-time Academic All-American selection and became the first Navy women's basketball player to be named to the First-Team All-Patriot League three times (2002, 2003, 2004).

Davidson is currently enrolled in the Naval Academy's Voluntary Graduate Education Program, through which she is taking courses at the University of Maryland. After completing her Master's Degree in public policy and government, Davidson will begin her career with the Marine Corps in January 2005.

"I chose to become a Marine for numerous reasons. The pride of belonging, esprit de Corps, discipline, and Semper Fi attitude all strongly appealed to me," said Davidson. "The Marine Corps demands great respect both domestically and internationally, and I wanted to be part of it. Additionally, I will be given both the privilege and responsibility of leading the some of the finest men and women our country has to offer."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004414123237/$file/Davidson001LOW.jpg

Courtney Davidson, team captain for the 2003-2004 Navy women's basketball team, put one last touch on a stellar collegiate basketball career, appearing in the 16th Annual Mountain Dew College Basketball Slam Dunk and Three-Point Championships in San Antonio, Texas on April 2. Photo by: Navy Sports

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004414123335/$file/Davidson002LOW.jpg

Courtney Davidson, team captain for the 2003-2004 Navy women's basketball team, put one last touch on a stellar collegiate basketball career, appearing in the 16th Annual Mountain Dew College Basketball Slam Dunk and Three-Point Championships in San Antonio, Texas on April 2. Photo by: Navy Sports

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/1A3C920837F58FA985256E76005AA44B?opendocument

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie