PDA

View Full Version : Subject: Donald Rumsfeld v. Edward Kennedy

usmc4669
04-14-04, 12:44 PM
I'm no fan of Donald Rumsfeld, but this is really classic!

You will only understand the symbolism of the following if you learned through extraneous history, or were old enough to have watched it play out, that Ted Kennedy drove off of a bridge in Massachusetts on his way to an island with Mary Joe Kopechne in the late 1960's (actually, during the same week that Neil Armstrong and
Buzz Aldrin were walking on the moon). He made it out of the car and swam to shore, leaving Miss Kopechne trapped in the car under water. He then did not seek help to try to rescue her, but instead he made his way to a hotel, called friends and his lawyer, and the next morning reported the accident.
Miss Kopechne died, but Mr. Kennedy did not face any type of censure orreprimand, much less any legal punishment for this negligent act of manslaughter. Kennedy power extends wide in that part of America, but you have got to love the chutzpah of Donald Rumsfeld.
Now switch to February 05, 2004..........
During a Senate hearing, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld yesterday told Senator Edward M. (Ted) Kennedy that he was "all wet" when the Senator alleged that the Bush administration had lied about Iraq's weapons of mass
destruction to justify going to war.
The verbal clash came during Mr. Rumsfeld's testimony at a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing probing the state of pre-war intelligence. Senator Kennedy began his questioning of the Defense Secretary by saying, "Mr. Secretary, don't you think that some members of the Bush administration should be held legally accountable for the lies that they told about Iraqi weapons of mass destruction, and the subsequent cover-up?"
"First, and with all due respect Senator Kennedy, you're all wet," replied Mr. Rumsfeld. "The administration has not lied or covered up at all. However, in general, I do believe that when a man commits a crime he should face the bar of justice. He should not be allowed to serve in positions of power in our government and be hailed as a leader, when the question of his
guilt remains unresolved. If you know what I mean."
"I'm sure I do not know what you mean, Mr. Secretary," Mr. Kennedy said, "but the American people deserve to know why you can't find Saddam's weapons of mass destruction, if he had them." "Sometimes things are hard to find, even when you know where they are," said Mr. Rumsfeld. "For example, I've heard of a man who missed a bridge and drove his car into the water, even though he knew where the bridge was. And then sometimes you just keep diving into a problem, and despite repeated efforts, you come up empty handed. That doesn't mean that nothing's there, and as you know, eventually, the truth comes to light."
Having no further questions, Mr. Kennedy yielded the remainder of his time.

Now lets hear from you Liberals

namgrunt
04-14-04, 09:48 PM
Man o man! Where is the polaroid of Kennedy's face when Rumsfeld was speaking? I'd pay good money to see that.

yellowwing
04-14-04, 11:22 PM
That's a well known urban legend. A false one. We'd still be hearing about it on major news sources if it were true.

Come to think about it, I wonder if Ted ever got leveraged into disagreeable decisions with Chappequidick hanging over his head. There is no statute of limitations for this is there?

usmc4669
04-15-04, 10:22 AM
This is from a site called scrappleface. I wish it were true! Oh well you can't win them all can you yellowwing. Decided to stay on a while longer, would miss you the most. Gunny

Lock-n-Load
04-15-04, 02:47 PM
:marine:MARINE...You're not going anywhere...you belong in here, you are Permanent Personnel, Gunny :marine: Semper Fi:marine: