PDA

View Full Version : Retired Marine donates Waterhouse print to Depot

thedrifter
04-12-04, 06:55 AM
Retired Marine donates Waterhouse print to Depot
Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island
Story Identification Number: 20044984017
Story by Lance Cpl. Brian Kester

MCRD/ERR PARRIS, ISLAND, S.C.(April 9, 2004) -- Retired Col. John W. Ripley donated a print depicting his heroic actions in Vietnam to the Depot at Barrow Hall April 2.

The original print by Col. Charles Waterhouse, the Marine Corps' only artist-in-residence, is one of three that were donated to various training facilities Ripley attended.

The contribution was made in the hopes of inspiring the individuals going through training, and will soon find its home in 1st RTBn. Headquarters.

The print depicts Ripley's actions in Dong Ha, Vietnam during the 1972 North Vietnamese Easter Offensive. Ripley, serving as an advisor to the 3rd Vietnamese Marine Battalion, destroyed a bridge almost single-handedly during the battle. His actions allowed his battalion of 735 Vietnamese Marines to fight off more than 200,000 enemies in the decisive battle that many historians claim changed the course of the Vietnam conflict. His actions at the bridge earned him the nation's second highest honor, the Navy Cross.

"I had intended, when the painting was first done, to give it to three institutions," said Ripley. "The first [donation was to] Parris Island, the next is the Naval Academy and finally the Marine Corps Basic School."

Ripley trained at each of these institutions and reflects on each as contributors to his actions in combat. Such actions include the 12 hand-over-hand trips, scaling the girders under the bridge and setting explosives it took to destroy that bridge in Dong Ha. He wishes to use those actions to motivate recruits currently undergoing training.

"The intent is to inspire young recruits -- to let them know that even though it may feel as though the world is caving in and they're not capable of doing a dog gone thing, that everything the Marine Corps does for you has a definite application," he said.

Ripley believes that all of the skills acquired will pay off for recruits much the same as they did for him.

"Eventually it will make you better in everything," he said. "Not just as a Marine, but in your attitude, your value to your country and all of those terribly important values that the Marine Corps teaches."

Those values and lessons learned are already making an impact on the Depot as service members are anticipating the arrival of the print.

"[1st Battalion personnel] have already been calling and asking where it will be placed so they can come look at it," said Lt. Col. Keith L. Cieri, commanding officer, 1st RTBn. "Colonel Ripley is a hero and he carries on the legacy of the Marine Corps. [His heroism is more of a modern influence] for those who have not been in as long as some of us old timers."

Hero or not, humble is a word that would describe the way Ripley wanted to bestow the print to the Depot.

"Frankly, I hadn't planned on a ceremony," he said surprisingly. "I just wanted to bring it to whoever was supposed to get it and have it displayed in my old battalion. It really is meant to be for any Marine recruit, and the message is: If I can do it, you can certainly do it."

That motivation is something that Ripley found during his stint at recruit training 47 years ago.

"Every recruit has those moments when he says, 'what have I done. I will never be as good as the Marines who are teaching me are, I'll never be as good as the Marines of World War II, Korea, Vietnam or Desert Storm. I don't possess the same qualities,' and yet, you do. You just haven't had an opportunity to exercise them yet. Once you do, you find out you are every bit as good as they were. The inspiration of those former Marines is what makes us that good."

Giving inspiration is what Ripley planned on doing during his visit; however, he had not planned on receiving any. Even though he did not expect it, he did receive inspiration in the form of a guidon from his former recruit training platoon.

"It was a huge surprise getting the guidon," said Ripley. "I reflect on what my drill instructors would say if they saw me getting this incredible honor. It has meaning that only a Marine could appreciate. Every time you go someplace they give you a nice memento. I must have 500 pictures of the Naval Academy Chapel, but this one [is very special]."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004499015/$file/Ripley(L).jpg

Brigadier Gen. Joseph J. McMenamin, Commanding General, Marine Corps Recruit Depot/Eastern Recruiting Region, and retired Col. John W. Ripley, unveil an original print by Col. Charles Waterhouse at Barrow Hall April 2. The print, depicting Ripley's actions in Dong Ha, Vietnam, was donated to 1st RTBn.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Brian Kester

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/92414F73A3EAB25A85256E7100459B2D?opendocument

Ellie