PDA

View Full Version : Warriors put fast in fast roping exercise

thedrifter
04-09-04, 06:33 AM
Submitted by: Marine Forces Atlantic
Story Identification Number: 2004481250
Story by Cpl. Glen R. Springstead

ARMY NATIONAL GUARD MANEUVER TRAINING CENTER, FORT PICKETT, Blackstone Va. --((March 30, 2004)) -- "Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there." -- Lt. Gen. Victor H. Krulak, Commanding General, Fleet Marine Force, Pacific, April 1965.

In an effort to achieve future wins for the Marine Corps team, approximately 250 Marines from 3rd Fleet Anti-Terrorism Security Team (FAST) Company, Marine Corps Security Forces Battalion, recently trained at the Army National Guard Maneuver Training Center, Fort Pickett.

During the four-day evolution, the FAST Marines polished their technique in patrolling, defensive and offensive maneuvers, military operations in urban terrain (MOUT), M249 squad automatic weapons (SAW) training, endurance course negotiation, rappelling, and helicopter rope suspension operations (elevator fast roping) from a Navy UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter.

“It’s been a great experience. The Marines are really enjoying it, and I think they are getting a lot out of the training,” said Sgt. Jonathan C. Young, platoon guide, 1st platoon, 3rd FAST Company.

“I know they are learning,” he added. “I’ve got a great platoon here. They are highly motivated, and they want to excel in their jobs.”

The training evolution was geared toward keeping the unit’s skills sharp for whatever future deployments may arise and to get the younger Marines comfortable with elevator fast roping which has become a cornerstone in the vertical envelopment and MOUT operations.

Unlike standard Marine infantry units, the FAST Company platoons are formed with Marines fresh out of the School of Infantry according to Maj. Mike Rodgers, commanding officer, 3rd FAST Company.

“All of the Marines come together at the same time, and the platoons have a two-year life cycle, where they go through all their training together,” Rodgers said.
For many, this training evolution was a new experience.

“Most of these Marines are new to elevator ops,” Young said. “For most, this is the first time they have had the chance to do something like this since boot camp. The NCOs and squad leaders are doing an outstanding job in guiding their Marines.”

The military’s use of helicopters has completely changed the face of modern warfare. The ability to rapidly insert and extract troops behind enemy lines allows for a greater element of surprise. However, over the years the battlefield has shifted from the fields and jungles, to war torn streets and buildings.

Fast roping allows the Marines to touch ground swiftly and secure a perimeter without the helicopter having to land in an unsafe area. During fast roping operations, combat loaded Marines are lowered into a hostile zone by sliding down a rope suspended from a helicopter.

Since the Marines are sliding freely without the aid of a harness, safety and training are paramount according to Rodgers.

“Safety is one of the primary factors that we are concerned with while conducting helicopter rope suspension operations,” Rodgers said. “To ensure safety, the Marines are required to undergo tower training prior to going on the helicopter.”

By the end of the day, the unit finished their fast roping prerequisite for the evolution with the satisfaction of mission accomplishment under their belts. The warriors walked away with confidence, knowing they will be ready to handle whatever task confronts them and ready to embody the immortal words of Lt. Gen. Krulak, ‘Ready to Win.’

“This is great training,” said Lance Cpl. Jeffery Heath, guard and basic rifleman, 1st Platoon, 3rd FAST Company. “I think everyone should get the chance to go through it. I’ve been looking forward to doing things like this since I joined FAST,” he concluded.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/D3063F020304C36E85256E7000585974?opendocument

Ellie