PDA

View Full Version : King Neptune Ceremony

Art
09-18-02, 07:16 AM
Ugh, I'm having a brian fart! I never did this, but when a ship crossed the equator, what was the ceremony called??? It's a really big deal -- fat sailors, beatings, vomit, etc... Historically it has been referred to as the 'King Neptune Ceremony.'

Art
09-18-02, 07:27 AM
http://www.mfp.usmc.mil/news.nsf/b3ca2bc78f601fe60a25660b007de87b/edf3e047aa77c63a0a25674700796a26?OpenDocument

Answered it myself (Shellback)... This is a note written by a SgtMjr about hazing.... What does everyone think?

I, by the way, remember being promoted to PFC. I had to walk through a line of guys who beat the hell out of me. I actually passed out right before the end, got pulled back up, and took two more poundings before I could pass out again. I couldn't lift my arms for days... I always thought that stuff was a bit too much myself....

AJR:)

Barrio_rat
09-18-02, 12:26 PM
Those that have crossed the equator and have gone through the ceremony are called Shellbacks. Those that have not, are Wogs. Short for polywogs. Slimy little creatures who fare none to well in the Raging Main. The Golden Shellback, a most rare creature, is one who has crossed at the equator at the International Date Line - Latitude 00.00.0 and Longitude 00.00.0. Very prestigious, indeed.

All I know it to be called is crossing the equator or becoming a shellback.

There is a ceremony. All Wogs must wear their t-shirts inside out and backwards - good idea to have it cut off so all the crud and flow through - trousers inside out and backwards, underwear on top of the trousers and again, inside out and backwards. Ya say on your hands and knees. Lot's of fun on a non-skid flight deck! I got film of officers on their backs, clapping their hands and calling out ‘Help me flipper!' When you have gone through the mess and ordeal, you come to a large pool. In there you dunk down and kinda get cleaned off. When you come back up, a man asks ‘What are you?' and you reply ‘SHELLBACK!' We had one guy who said ‘I'm a wog!' Seems nobody clued him in and they made him go through it again. After that, it's a salt water shower and then I threw my clothes, except my steel toed boots (which the leather in the toe had worn through), overboard. Went down and took a real shower. Then we had steel beach. Hot dogs, hamburgers, chips and soda on the flight deck. I didn't partake in any of that as I had to go to sickbay, which, of course was closed. Seems I had tonsilitis and spent the next few days in the ships hospital. It's a day I will never forget and a great deal of fun to rub it into some swabby that I'm a shellback and he's not. LOL It is not required that you go through the ceremony. Those that do not wish to, spend the time in full dress uniform in the ships hull. It's warm at the equator too. This is what you get for your day of trouble....

IMPERIUM NEPTUNI REGIS

Know All Sailors by These Presents: AND TO ALL WHALES, MERMAIDS, POLYWOGS, SEA SERPENTS, DOLPHINS, PORPOISES, SHARKS, EELS, SUCKERS, SKATERS, CRABS, LOBSTERS AND ALL OTHER CREATURES BENEATH THE SEA Greetings:
Know ye: On this 27th day of April year 1989 on Latitude 00.00.0 and Longitude 141.19E there appeared within Our Imperial Domain the U.S.S. Belleau Wood Equator bound.

Be It Known

That said ship with Officers and Crew thereof, have been inspected and qualified on by Ourselves and our Imperial Staff
ALSO BE IT KNOWN: By all ye Land Lubbers, sailors and marines who may be honored byhis presence that G.D. OLSON HAVING BEEN FOUND WORTHY AS ONE OF OUR HONORED SHELLBACKS HAS BEEN DULY INITIATED INTO THE Solemn Mysteries of the Ancient Order of Shellbacks
BE IT FURTHER UNDERSTOOD: That by virtue of the power vested in me I hereby command all my subjects to bestow due honors and respect to him wherever he may be. DISOBEY THIS ORDER UNDER PENALTY OF OUR IMPERIAL DISPLEASURE.

Davey Jones Neptunis Rex
His Majesty's Scribe Ruler Of The Raging Main

Barrio_rat
09-20-02, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Art
http://www.mfp.usmc.mil/news.nsf/b3ca2bc78f601fe60a25660b007de87b/edf3e047aa77c63a0a25674700796a26?OpenDocument

Answered it myself (Shellback)... This is a note written by a SgtMjr about hazing.... What does everyone think?

I, by the way, remember being promoted to PFC. I had to walk through a line of guys who beat the hell out of me. I actually passed out right before the end, got pulled back up, and took two more poundings before I could pass out again. I couldn't lift my arms for days... I always thought that stuff was a bit too much myself....

AJR:)

When I got my Shellback in 89 it was all good natured fun. Yes a couple got hurt. One guy (not quite bright enough to find pads for his knees) went to sick bay for tore up knees. Another got a shalaylie (sp?) - fire hose - tapped against his genitals. He was pulled aside, helped by the Shellbacks and did not have to participate any futher. Yes, he recieved his Shellback. We had one Sgt who was stupid. He hit me in the kidneys a few times - the butt was the only acceptable spot for hitting - and I let him know if he hit me in the kidneys again, I'd be standing up. I found out later that he lost his shalaylie due to his inappropriate actions.

I personally never did hit anyone who got promoted, just a couple good taps on the shoulders. I have been hit, but not to the point of sever pain, just a little sore.

I suppose, if you wanted, you could take the term hazing to an extreme and even say that boot camp in and of itself is hazing. It is initiation. Argument there is, it is controlled. Usually. Last official time a recruit was struck by a DI was in 83. I joined in 85 and saw individuals get hit. Nothing sever. Just little wake up calls. Attention getters.
I suppose there's a line. It should be well defined with penalties for crossing it. I don't see getting rid of traditions - Pinning, Shellback, etc - just because someone somewhere didn't like it and thought it was hazing.

I've seen some Navy guys get their wings. Got 'em real drunk.. Then take a combat boot, put ballute and a shot of everything from behind the bar in it with the wings. They had to drink from the boot until they got the wings. When they got the wings they were placed on their chest (wearing a t shirt at a public bar) without the backs. Then each of the current aircrewmen took one punch at the wings. Yeah, there was blood. It was in the muscle and I saw no one hit as hard as the could. Just a good solid punch. When it was over, they cleaned up and got even more drunk. In some ways, I think this adds to commaradery. To have people go through similar ordeals and become closer in ranks - to become one with the others. Just as we do by going through boot camp. We've been through the same as others and have joined their ranks.

At risk of rambling, I'll stop now. Was just a thought I had and wanted to share it.

Semper Fi!

3BadgeMarine
09-20-02, 12:43 PM
Art, The same in the Royal Corps,Its called crossing the line at Longitude 138'E, each member who crossed the line is baptised at the hand of "King Neptune"who pronounces him "Son Of Neptune,Thereby permitting him to cross the line at any future date date unmolested.and each member who crosses the line is given a certificate to that fact.Aye JR