PDA

View Full Version : Email from Iraq

usmc4669
04-07-04, 09:12 AM
This email was sent from a Marine to his father from Iraq

Dad,

Things have been busy here. You know I can't say much about it.
However, I do know two things. One, POTUS has given us the green light to do whatever we needed to do to win this thing so we have that going for us. Two, and my opinion only, this battle is going to have far reaching effects on not only the war here in Iraq but in the overall war on terrorism. We have to be very precise in our application of combat power. We cannot kill a lot of innocent folks (though they are few and far between in Fallujah).
There will be no shock and awe. There will be plenty of bloodshed at the lowest levels. This battle is the Marine Corps' Belleau Wood for this war.** and **will be leading the way. We have to find a way to kill the bad guys only. The Fallujahans are fired up and ready for a fight (or so they think). A lot of terrorists and foreign fighters are holed up in Fallujah. It has been a sanctuary for them. If they have not left town they are going to die. I'm hoping they stay and fight.

This way we won't have to track them down one by one.

This battle is going to be talked about for a long time. The Marine Corps will either reaffirm its place in history as one of the greatest fighting organizations in the world or we will die trying. The Marines are fired up. I'm nervous for them though because I know how much is riding on this fight (the war in Iraq, the view of the war at home, the length of the war on terror and the reputation of the Marine Corps to name a few). However, every time I've been nervous during my career about the outcome of events when young Marines were involved they have ALWAYS exceeded my expectations. I'm praying this is one of those times.

Name removed

This is waht we should do to these Sh**ts (short for Shiites).

Super Dave
04-07-04, 09:43 AM
This is just another example of what we all know...Marines have been, are, and ALWAYS will be the Greatest Fighting Force the world has EVER known and the young men and women that serve today are true leaders in every way.

Semper Fi..

USMC-FO
04-07-04, 11:38 AM
Great letter and we can only hope and pray all goes well for ths young man and the USMC ! Should any of us have had the opportunty to be back n the Sh*t then only as USMC !!

usmc4669
04-08-04, 01:33 PM
What the News doesn't tell you, this is straight from the horses mouth. <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Name removed <br />
<br />
<br />
Iraqis...

namgrunt
04-08-04, 01:48 PM
Damn fine e-mail and letter, Gunny.
Makes me sit a bit straighter as I type this. Our guys are the best, no doubt about it.

Semper Fi!