PDA

View Full Version : Labonte to honor Flight 93 heroes at Dover

thedrifter
09-17-02, 06:12 PM
saw this on another forum....

CONCORD, N.C. -- Like most Americans, Bobby Labonte had heard Todd Beamer's name countless times in the months following Sept. 11, 2001. He was well aware what occurred on United Flight 93 in the skies over rural Pennsylvania.

However, until Joe Gibbs Racing vice president of marketing Dave Alpern offered up an idea earlier this year, Labonte didn't realize that Beamer was a spearhead in executing one of the most heroic deeds in American history -- grounding that plane, which had been hijacked by terrorists.

"Sure, I'd heard Todd's name, of course, but never really associated it with anything else," Labonte said. "So when (Alpern) came to me and asked about running this paint scheme, and told me what it was for and what it was all about, it was just a natural thing. I thought it sounded great, sounded like a honor."

To honor Beamer and his fallen comrades, Labonte will run a special paint scheme this weekend at Dover International Speedway. The scheme, which includes Beamer's now famous battle cry "Let's Roll" on the hood, will benefit the Todd M. Beamer Foundation.

http://www.nascar.com/2002/news/headlines/wc/09/17/blabonte_letsroll/index.html

http://i.cnn.net/nascar/2002/news/headlines/wc/09/17/blabonte_letsroll/18_logo.jpg

Sempers,

Roger

Sixguns
09-17-02, 06:22 PM
Look for the tem to run a Toys For Tots car too. Rumor has it that teammate Tony Stewart will not.

Sixguns
09-17-02, 06:25 PM
Look for the team to run a Toys For Tots car too. Rumor has it that teammate Tony Stewart will not. Many teams in NASCAR are running special paint schemes in response to 9/11 anniversary. The Team Marines car in the Busch Series ran the "Patriot Car" at Richmond Sept. 6th, the last race event before the anniversary. Look at the car at www.teamrensi.com. Glad to see fans and teams getting behind their military and other heroes.

8th&I Marine
09-19-02, 03:20 AM
I have been a bobby jr. fan since i saw the car. Ladys and Gents if ya have spare change give it to the foundation. I and my fellow Fire fighters have collected over 40,000 for the Fire fighters fund. I think it would be great for this foundation to get a good start.

cantrell