PDA

View Full Version : 18-year-old college grad drops books, picks up rifle

thedrifter
04-05-04, 08:09 AM
18-year-old college grad drops books, picks up rifle
Submitted by: Headquarters Marine Corps
Story Identification Number: 20044217213
Story by Lance Cpl. Jess Levens

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(April 2, 2004) -- Television shows about child geniuses have captivated American people for decades: "Doogie Howser, M.D.," "Malcolm in the Middle" and even Cartoon Network's "Dexter's Laboratory" have captured hearts of nearly everyone that watches. One show, however, may never exist: "PFC Billy McCulloch, U.S. Marine."

McCulloch, 18, earned a Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry before he was old enough to vote.

While growing up in Seguin, Texas, McCulloch learned at a rapid pace at his private school. He was so far ahead of his classmates, he was allowed to skip seventh and eighth grades.

"I just seemed to understand," said McCulloch. "Science came pretty easy."

At the age of 12, McCulloch began his freshman year of high school. Later that same year, he took a placement test from Duke University and placed in the top one percentile.

"I did so well on the test, I was allowed to go straight to college," said McCulloch.

So the boy genius enrolled at St. Phillip's College, which is near his home.

"I had a chance to go to Duke, but we couldn't afford it, and it was too far from home," said McCulloch.

McCulloch said he fit in with other students despite the age gap.

"At first it was weird having my mom drop me off at college every day," said McCulloch. "But I realized I wasn't even old enough to drive, so there was no shame in that. I actually got along with everyone. I guess age doesn't really matter. We were all science geeks and we had a good time together."

After his third semester at St. Phillip's, McCulloch transferred to Texas Lutheran University to finish his degree.

He graduated with his degree when he was 17, and despite his educational victory, McCulloch had another dream: the Marine Corps.

"I've thought about the military for a long time," said McCulloch. "I knew it had to be the Marines because they're the best. It's common knowledge. Every Marine is a rifleman first, but every airman or sailor isn't. I know I can count on my fellow Marines every time."

McCulloch looked into becoming an officer but was unable to because he didn't meet the minimum age requirement of 20 years old. He decided to enlist.

"I wanted to join right away," said McCulloch. "There was no way I was going to wait around until I was old enough to be an officer."

McCulloch joined as an infantryman for several reasons.

"I want to go out and see all that I can," said McCulloch. "If some combat is involved, great. I just want to be out there in the thick of it."

While preparing for life in the Corps at recruit training, McCulloch's knowledge and organizational skills helped him become the platoon scribe. The scribe helps the drill instructors with administrative duties.

"McCulloch is a smart kid," said Sgt. Kent Sabido, one of McCulloch's drill instructors. "We give him a task, and we don't even have to explain it to him. He just figures it out."

Although Marine Corps recruit training doesn't call for much chemistry, McCulloch still found ways to put his skill to use.

"One time, there were some spots on the floor and nobody could get them up," said McCulloch. "I went into the gear locker and mixed some chemicals and it took the spots off."

McCulloch graduates today in front of his family and peers. "While "PFC Billy McCulloch, U.S. Marine" will never grace TV land, the sight of him walking across Shepard Field as a Marine will remain in the minds of those close to him.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20044217854/$file/PFC_B_McCulloch_lr_MajG.jpg

PFC Billy McCulloch, Platoon 2158, Company G, fills out a platoon fire-watch roster. McCulloch was appointed platoon scribe for his knowledge and organizational skills. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Jess Levens

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/F10B9615B1A328DB85256E6A00790D94?opendocument

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie

MillRatUSMC
04-05-04, 08:16 AM
Semper Fi
PFC Billy McCulloch USMC and welcome to the "Brotherhood"...

"Want to feel safe tonight? Sleep with a Marine"
~ From a bumper sticker ~

"A man or woman is measured
by the footprint,
he or she leaves behind"

"They were the best you had, America,
and you turned your back on them".
~ Joe Galloway ~ Speaking about Vietnam Veterans

“Marines have always been physically and mentally tough.
We must keep squarely in our sights,
the fact that toughness can be decisive in combat.”
~ General Charles C. Krulak ~
31st Commandment of the Marine Corps

TO THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
THAT OTHERS MAY SAY PROUDLY
I AM A MARINE

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo