PDA

View Full Version : Been there, done that loved it....old Corps...

Kurt Stover
04-01-04, 10:21 AM
1.Yesterday sucked, today sucked, tomorrow is going to suck, and this seems to be a pretty solid forecast for the rest of my enlistment.
2. Spending 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year training for something that there is a 99.9% chance that we will never do.
3. WWWDWOA? (What would we do without acronyms?)
4. Taking simple daily tasks and breaking them down into nuclear physics before doing them.
5. Having to attend a brief prior to carrying out any task more complicated than picking my nose.
6. Being a personal servant (that's basically all I am) to any one of the 300 thousand people in the Marines who out-rank me.
7. Being a grown man and having somebody inspecting me everyday to make sure I shaved, put my clothes on properly, and put my shoes on the right feet.
8. Where else would I have the chance to be stuck on a ship with a couple hundred people in the middle of nowhere for six months at a time?
9. Standing "fire watch."
10. Being guaranteed at least two hours of sleep for every 24-hour period of time.
11. Getting relieved late after standing watch for four hours with a bulletproof vest on, a 20lb helmet, and a 20lb rifle in the middle of a typical North Carolina summer day.
12. Having to wear a "cover," or hat, every time I want to go outside.
13. I love cleaning the same places over and over and over until either the paint comes off or my hands are bleeding.
14. I couldn't live without having to write a "request-chit" to do anything other than breathe or wipe my ass, only to have it disapproved and turned down with a lame ass reason as to why they turned it down.
15. Where else do you get the chance to spend every night in a bed the size of a shelf?
16. There just isn't that many jobs out there where you can rest assured that everyone you work for is just waiting to screw you over any way they possibly can.
17. If I got out, I would surely miss the idea of waking up every morning for "formation."
18. Standing duty.
19. Knowing what words like "scuttlebutt" and "bulkhead" actually mean.
20. Getting to wear civilian clothes whenever I am not in the field.
21. Getting to eat meat that comes in boxes labeled " not fit for human consumption" and "for institutional use only."
22. Where else would you have the chance to be out at sea for 38 days straight, about ten miles off the coast of the Virgin Islands and not being able to have "libo" What really made that great was watching the navy take libo. It is really good for your mental health to be strung-along like that.
23. Getting "random" drug tests every couple of weeks. I was "randomly" picked for every test for almost two years straight. Not many people can testify to taking about 50 drug tests in the past two years without having ever been caught doing drugs in my life.
24. Going to medical complaining of severe heart and chest pain, and being told to come back during "sick-call" the next day.
25. I love the fact that my opinion has about as much influence as my sister's pet iguana's. The only opinions that matter come from people wearing rockers.
26. You do not have to respect the person; you have to respect what they wear on their collar.
27. I love living in a room with 80 other guys; half of which cannot lift a toilet seat to **** and don't have a clue what a shower is for.
28. Having the bedroom, showers, and toilettes for the above listed 80 guys in one stinky room.
29. I hate sleeping. Semper Fi! Yeah fvcking right.
30. I love the fact that the military wonders why we have so many people around the world that hate our country. I am sure that us being bullies and telling the world what they can and cannot do, then ignoring those rules ourselves has nothing to do with it
31. I hate good food.
32. I love the " you are U.S. ambassadors" speech.
33. I hate spending time with my family.
34. Not only getting to do my own job, but getting stuck with as many collateral duties as my chain of command wants to give me.
35. Having to change your computer password every two weeks to keep terrorists from hacking into our email or even playing an innocent game of solitaire.
36. I love the fact that you get paid more if you have more kids to take care of. I call it the "crack-head reproduction incentive." This encourages thousands of young Marines less mature than most ten-year olds to have as many kids as possible.
37. There just aren't many fields to work in where adultery is considered to be a good thing to put on your eval.
38. I want a job that will not allow me to go home and see the birth of my child. I think that it would be cool to have four kids and not see any of their births.
39. Hey, at least you can retire from the Marines in twenty years. When you get out you can go work at a company with a former SSgt that you treated like ****, only difference form then and now is that he will be your boss.
40. When you get out you will only be 38-40. You still have your entire life ahead of you. Yeah, okay, I want my life to start at 38.
41. I like to watch the same movies over and over for six months straight because that is the only form of entertainment I have on ship.
42. What? You are going on leave? You better go and shave before you leave this barracks.
43. Oh, look...There's the boss. We better all stand at attention until he tells us we can move. Do they do that in the civilian world too?
44. Is that local time or Zulu?
45. I want to work somewhere that has total control of my paycheck so that they can take half if I mess up.
46. If I get in trouble out in town I would like to get woken up the next day at "0530" and have to stand in front of my boss, manager, assistant manager, and anyone else who has nothing better to do so that they can all chew my ass.
47. Can we be tested to make sure we are physically fit every six months, only please make exceptions to this for enormously fat 30+-year-old SSgt and above.
48. Where else can you pay taxes to pay your own paycheck?
49. You take an oath to support and defend the Constitution, and after that the Constitution doesn't even apply to you.
50. Because only during magic shows and working hours are the rules of logic suspended.

Kurt Stover
04-01-04, 10:24 AM
51. Because no-matter how stupid you are, you will eventually get promoted. <br />
52. Because where else can you get your teeth drilled and Fvcked up whether they need it or not? <br />
53. I like getting my...

Kurt Stover
04-01-04, 10:28 AM
101: I love to get wet, turn the water off, soap up, then turn the water back on to rinse off, scalding myself in the process because the soap is dripping in my eyes.
102. Fighting over 1 of the 3 buffers for the entire barracks on field day night and feeling lucky that you got the one that only shocks you and not the one that bucks like a bronco or the one that only goes in one direction or the one that...........
103. How can you not miss MidRats?
104. Sleeping anywhere but your room on field day night so you don't mess up your rack or the deck.
105. Looking at another Marines girlfriend, undressing her, ravaging her until dawn and return her in proper order all in the same 15 seconds you meet her, and he looks at you, knows what you are thinking and says, “Cool”.
106. Finding a tank bar and some sand bags to make a weight room out in the Stumps.
107. Being able to force yourself to pick up butts because you don’t smoke and somehow your name came up as the NCO to supervise police call.
108. Fvcking with the new boot Lt.’s new Jeep he bought while at Quantico, that he left unlocked out in the parking lot.
109. Setting up a star ground outside of the Comm. Center and telling the new Pfc. to pee in the salt.
110. Waiting at an Amtracks crossing at 0330 in the morning at CAX and waking up an hour later and the whole convoy is behind you still in park with the motors in idle and every swinging soul is asleep.
111. Waking up at 0330 to listen to the whine of a tracked vehicle to see if they are a tank that is going to slice your cable and let it lie, or an Amtrack that is going to slice your cable and try to retrieve it.
112. Being awake at 0335 and watching an Amtrack slice your cable and pull your cable with the Pike poles, guy lines, plow up the dirt where it’s been buried and then yank the whole MDF up out of the ground and snapping off at the Hock.
113. Being awake since 0330 and trying to repair what an Amtrack did to your whole communications network until the following afternoon.
114. Being the advance party and looking for the next FP at 0200 and wondering why there is a blown up Sherman Tank hulk setting next to you as you scan your map.
115. Unassing an area because you now know why there is a blown up Sherman Tank hulk next to you.
116. Thankful that you see hydraulic fluid leaking out of the overhead on a frog as you load on.
117. Making horsey dorvies with the MRE crackers squeeze cheese that tells you must need it first and then adding ham slices and hot sauce.
118. Wondering why they took away the Sh1t Disk that was in the C-Rat’s.
119. Walking through the passageway on ship and seeing a Sailor and saying “What’s up Sh1tmate”
120. Walking into “O” country to cross over to the other side of the ship so you don’t have to walk through the bilge area.
121. Wondering why in hell cloverleaf’s don’t have some sort of drain system.
122. Wondering why they call it “Monkey Sh1t” and then you put your hand on the cable on the wing walls of a ship and find out why.
123. Walking from the inside of the ship through a hatch that you would find on a condemned projects tenants building, through a maze craze and then onto a pitch black deck and almost falling overboard.
124. Stomaching a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on crushed slices of 2-inch high bread after eating green eggs and ham for the 3 rd week in a row.
125. Not remembering when you tasted coffee that bad other than the time you accidentally drank three-day-old coffee.
126. Smelling the engine of your hummer burning JP fuel instead of the diesel and it somehow reminds you of a barbeque you once went to.
127. Actually trusting some rubberized canvas and a few turn snaps to hold back the total weight of your load that has been tied down with some slash wire.
128. Watching a 5-ton get stuck between an LCU and the tailgate of the USS Alamo with nothing but water underneath and the tires sliding slowly down.
129. Wondering why those dispatchers in Subic are all screaming and saying “Ma-nam-mabu” and other swear words over the radios.
130. Going to the “Crows Nest” in Okie and setting around getting toasted watching people do the “Boot scoot boogie”

sgt.lane
04-01-04, 06:23 PM
Good Times!!

mrbsox
04-01-04, 07:12 PM
Here Here !!!

# 35 ???
I thought this was 'Old Corps' stuff

What was a computer ??

But still grinnin :D an rememberin

Terry

HardJedi
04-01-04, 08:36 PM
71 and 102 had me ROLLING!

mrbsox
04-01-04, 08:51 PM
I didn't see;

Following a 'Butter Bar' with a map and compass, and getting lost OFF THE MAP

or

Standing guard over comm gear AND an armory of weapons, with 10 rounds, or even better, just a (broken) night stick.

I wonder if they are still counting the SAME 10 rounds I counted those many years ago !!

lurchenstein
04-03-04, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by mrbsox

What was a computer ??

'Puters were out there (Marine Tactical Data System - MTDS). They were just too big to stuff in your haversack or wp bag.

paul g fleming
04-03-04, 06:39 AM
you love it

DSchmitke
04-03-04, 07:23 AM
All sounds like fun to me.

cpl_daley
04-03-04, 02:46 PM
how about getting picked to be"pecker checker" for those random drug tests, I'm sure glad I wasn't a Corpral then...

watching 300 Marines wizz in a jar to make sure they don't cheat... how would apply in the civilian world?