PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Rico Braces For The Base Closing, Roosevelt Roads Naval Air Station

usmc4669
04-01-04, 09:53 AM
Washington Times (SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico APR. 01)
After 60 years, the U.S. Navy yesterday officially closed its sprawling Roosevelt Roads Naval Air Station in eastern Puerto Rico, already dropping property values and flooding the surplus housing market. In the short term, Puerto Rico expected to suffer with closure of the base, which pumped an estimated $300 million a year into the U.S. commonwealth's economy. Long term, nearly 4 percent of the island's land area will be available for tourism, housing and industrial development. Rosy Roads, as the military installation has long been nicknamed, was shut because the Navy could no longer use the nearby island of Vieques for bombing practice after May 2003. At one time, as many as 10,000 soldiers, civilian employees, outside contractors and their dependents lived on the base, though that number has shrunk throughout the years.

Isn't this what the people of Puerto Rico wanted? They are the ones that protested the Navy and Marine Corps for using the island of Vieques. What did they think we would do, keep Rosy Roads open and turn it into a R&R center for our top Brass?

locobrujo
04-01-04, 09:59 AM
Like the Navy base in Bermuda...

fulmetaljackass
04-01-04, 12:05 PM
I heard so many stories when I was stationed at Lejeune about how the city of Jacksonville, NC d!mn near went broke during the 1st Gulf Warbecause most of the Marines, sailors etc. stationed there were not there to keep pumping money into that sh*tty little town's economy! While I was there, the limits on the demo ranges were so restrictive because of surrounding residences that we actually started considering ourselves LUCKY to go to CAX so we could actually get some realistic training!

Granted, our troops have to be stationed somewhere, but in a hypothetical situation, I would like to see military bases disappear so those crummy towns surrounding them suffer total economic collapse and ALSO disappear. These towns always forget that they would not be there without the support of the bases they complain about so much.