PDA

View Full Version : A Stunning Surprise from the VA

thedrifter
03-31-04, 06:03 AM
03-30-2004

A Stunning Surprise from the VA

By David DeBatto

A funny thing happened on the way to writing this column. My opinion of one of our old adversaries, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) was changed – for the better.

I set out to write a column about the terrible, unfeeling way in which the behemoth VA has been treating returning veterans from Operations Iraqi Freedom (OIF) and Enduring Freedom (OEF). I had spoken with enough service members recently retired and/or injured in the Persian Gulf and Afghanistan to have somewhat of a picture of what to expect myself when I approached the dreaded agency.

It was a pretty grim picture. Stories of uncaring, grizzled VA staff virtually ignoring shell-shocked vets; veterans waiting in line for several hours just to be seen by a doctor or to refill a prescription; files getting lost; a wait of over a year to receive a disability rating, and on and on.

This was not merely a journalistic quest: As a soldier who was injured and medically retired during Operation Iraqi Freedom, I regarded daunting task of starting the process of enrolling in the VA labyrinth as definitely not something I was looking forward to. I would not be in this situation if it were not for the rude behavior of an Iraqi driving a 10-ton gravel truck in the area of Iraq I was stationed in, the Sunni Triangle about 50 clicks north of Baghdad. Coming back from a mission one evening, he had the bad taste to force my HUMMVE off the road and into a concrete embankment. I was catapulted through the front passenger windshield, head first. When I came to moments later, I had a concussion, a broken collarbone, compressed spine and two broken ribs. Other than that I felt fine. That is how I guaranteed my association with the VA for life.

I decided to do some basic research on the web before I jumped into the system in order to head off any problems before they started. On the main VA website, www.va.gov, there is a very informative link to returning veterans from OIF and OEF right on the homepage.

Just click on the Disability and Compensation icon and then the OIF/OEF link on the next page, and you are taken to a site dedicated solely to assist service members recently returned from those two operations. It is a very well-done site and also very easy to navigate. It covers everything from converting SGLI to VGLI, how to file a claim for disability compensation, receive educational and vocational assistance and much more.

The most useful item for me was a toll-free number that put me in touch with a VA national coordinator for OIF vets. This gentleman, Armando De La Garza, who is located in the St. Louis office of the VA, is a true professional and a patriot. He actually answered his phone when I called (amazing isn’t it?) and then proceeded to answer every question I had.

When he told me he was going to make some phone calls for me immediately and expedite my application, I almost fell out of my chair. He also told me that OIF veterans are on a fast track for benefits. I should be receiving my notice of rating within 30-40 days instead of the usual 12+ months!

He also informed me of what could be the best-kept secret in the VA: the Educational and Vocational Rehabilitation program. He walked me through a download of an application that will (listen to this) pay for my graduate degree including all tuition, books, fees and pay me $500-$600 per month tax free, for the length of the course plus two months after graduation. Once submitted, the turnaround time for a decision on acceptance into the program is 3-4 weeks.

Could this really be happening? It is almost too good to be true.

Today, I received a call from a gentleman in the Boston office of the VA where my application for disability compensation was submitted. He told me my application is in the system just days after I submitted it, and he expects to have my rating back to me within the next three weeks! Again, I was speechless (and for me that is an historic occasion). I had already received several calls from the Boston VA when my application was first submitted advising me of its arrival and answering several questions I had about the process. The few phone calls I have made to both the St. Louis and Boston offices have also been answered promptly and all of my questions answered fully.

I have to admit; I have never received this level of service before from any public agency, whether municipal, state or federal. I am taken aback every time I speak to these VA staff. They are courteous, knowledgeable, prompt and above all, they all have a very sincere desire to help veterans receive the benefits to which they have so very much earned.

As I said at the beginning, I started writing this column with the assumption that I would end up bashing the VA. After all, everyone else is. However, something incredible happened on the way to my doing that. The VA destroyed all of my negative assumptions. How about that?

Contributing Editor David DeBatto is a retired Army staff sergeant and Counterintelligent Special Agent who served in Operation Iraqi Freedom where he was injured in combat. He is currently writing a novel based upon his military service. He can be reached at info@mrdavid.net. Send Feedback responses to dwfeedback@yahoo.com.

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=DefenseWatch.db&command=viewone&op=t&id=426&rnd=242.35375911372537

Ellie

TMM54
03-31-04, 07:29 AM
Thank you for the great story Ellie. Roger's kindness to me at
the time I needed someone most will never be forgotten.
That's a legacy. As for the VA, I would not be alive except for
their help. Semper Fidelis, Tom Murray

kentmitchell
03-31-04, 04:17 PM
Something strange really is going on.
I recently applied for Social Security retirement benefits and had the same pleasant surprise as Ellie.
The guy was pleasant--VOLUNTEERED to take all the info over the phone and then gave me his name and phone number "just in case something goes wrong."
Everything went through perfectly and I got my first SS check on March 10.
Now tell me that ain't Bush at work!!!!

rsta
03-31-04, 05:58 PM
Hmm, civil servants serving civilly! How unique.