PDA

View Full Version : Recruit Lane has began his journey

sgt.lane
03-30-04, 07:29 PM
I just found out my son is in I Co. and has picked up his D.I.'s I am expecting a letter with in the next couple of days. Platoon 3073 is off and running (so to speak). I would like to keep everyone updated if enough people are interested. I am open to suggestions as how to do it or if this will work for everyone. Semper Fi:bandit:

yellowwing
03-30-04, 07:46 PM
Hey that's great! Is he gonna be an amtrac'r like his old man?

Osotogary
03-30-04, 08:07 PM
Thank you for the information, sgt.lane. Once everything gets kind of situated I'd like to write your son. Please feel free to PM me with the address when you get it. I will keep you informed as to what was written and when it was sent. Any suggestions would be nice.
Adios.
Gary

namgrunt
03-30-04, 09:31 PM
Sounds great, SgtLane. Any herd is a good herd, and 3rd Battalion is a good start point. I hope your son's new career is long and glorious.

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out, for your son's sake, the value of keeping a personal journal. I wish I'd kept some sort of running notes and observations of my time in service. Perhaps because of a head injury, I have a terrible memory for names, and get them mixed up with all the faces in my mind.

If I had kept a journal, I would have been able to recollect my thoughts for writing a book or my memoirs. Leon Uris, the author who wrote "Battle Cry", was a Marine during WW2.

All it takes is a few notes jotted down during moments of freetime. Bits of gained wisdom, as well as dumb stunts, are equally important for conveying the reality of Marine Life. Impressions of first Liberty in a foreign port on a cruise, or hard lessons learned by trial and error. You know what I'm talking about.

Its also a place to write down names of dead and wounded friends, along with the close calls which make you say "Holy S***! How did I survive that?" I remember so much, but can't put it in chronological order because I didn't keep good notes of events. Its just a suggestion, but one I wish someone had impressed upon me when I was a new Boot.

Semper Fi!

sgt.lane
03-30-04, 10:41 PM
Great idea, I did purchase a notebook for him (Marine Corps) similar to what you are talking about of all places wal-mart. Nice looking book and also gives suggestions on things you might want to write down. I too wish I had kept a journal of some sort as well. I am also happy as I was a third herd when I was at MCRD platoon 3099. Thanks

usmc4669
04-02-04, 07:17 PM
sgt.lane

Recruit Lane has began his journey
I just found out my son is in I Co. and has picked up his D.I.'s I am expecting a letter with in the next couple of days. Platoon 3073 is off and running (so to speak). I would like to keep everyone updated if enough people are interested. I am open to suggestions as how to do it or if this will work for everyone. Semper Fi

sgt.lane, maybe you could post a thread titled Letters to my son (Give his name) and some of the members could post a letter to him that you could copy and sent him.

Semper Fi

Gunny

lurchenstein
04-03-04, 01:29 AM
It'd be great hearing about your son's recruit training days. (Bring it on!)

namgrunt
04-03-04, 02:30 AM
Your son went to MCRD-SD, didn't he? I ask because there is an article in the Marine Mentor section about a SDI who stands 6'9" tall. He just began a new herd in India Co. 3rd RTB at MCRD-PI.
If your new boot is in PI instead of SD, then he has the tallest Marine Drill Instructor in the Corps barking down on the top of his skull. That would be an interesting platoon to watch.

I believe the platoon numbers are different, your son's is 3073, while SSgt Starnes's new herd is 3040. Would have made for some tall sea stories when you son graduated if the numbers were the same.