PDA

View Full Version : Three Amigos share blood, sweat, and tears

thedrifter
03-29-04, 06:35 AM
Three Amigos share blood, sweat, and tears
Submitted by: Headquarters Marine Corps
Story Identification Number: 200432874215
Story by Sgt. Nathan K. LaForte

AL ASAD, Iraq (March 28, 2004) -- They say that the rigors of war and the stress of imminent combat allow men to form bonds of friendship that can rival the test of time.

One question remains after a statement such as this.

Who are "they?"

This time, the "they" in question happen to be a trio of Marines. A group of three Marines who have no question in their minds about the friendship they have found during combat operations together.

In January 2001, two new analysts, fresh from their military occupational school, joined up with the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit after doing their time in Marine Corps recruit training and Marine Combat Training.

One of these green Marines was a 26-year-old man from Morrisville, Vt. Lance Cpl. James G. Hindes had graduated from the People's Academy High School in his hometown and went on to college at the University of Vermont.

He found that college life was not for him at that time, and eventually after a few restaurant managing jobs, he made his way onto his very own set of yellow footprints.

"When I was in school, I realized I didn't have the financial ability to go (to school) any more, so I joined the Marine Corps," he said. "I joined the military to get money for school and further my experiences."

The other Marine, a 19-year-old from Philadelphia, had just finished taking off his cap and gown from Pennsauken High School in New Jersey. The young man said he was looking for something that he felt school could not offer him.

"I was looking for a little bit of adventure," said Cpl. Alfred F. Torrissi. "The steady paycheck really helped the decision to be made as well."

Their reasons for joining the corps were irrelevant at the time. At least, they were irrelevant to then-Staff Sgt. Cullen D. McPeek, who was senior analyst for the 15th MEU at the time. All the 27-year-old Grand Junction, Colo., native said he needed to know was that they both were privates first class in the Marine Corps and they needed experience.

"They came to me as new guys," he said. "I figured I had to train them up. They showed up at the beginning of the training cycle so there was a lot of work."

After the seasoned Marine started working with the two young Devil Dogs, his views on their abilities improved.

"I had no problems with them," he explained. "They were good young Marines and were willing to learn. I saw potential for them to be great Marines and analysts."

Their opportunity to learn came hard and fast with the quick-paced operational tempo of the MEU, McPeek remembered.

"We were with the MEU, which means we do anything from humanitarian assistance missions to what turned out to be combat operations later on," he noted.

All was fine one beautiful evening in Darwin, Australia. Drinks and relaxation seemed to be the order of the day. The 15th MEU had pulled into port and the sea weary Marines were enjoying a bit of the Australian nightlife.

"Hindes and I were in a place called Shenanigans having a great time listening to a band," Torrissi explained. "The Shore Patrol broke into the joint and the lights came on."

About the same time, McPeek was enjoying a favored local sport.

"I just got done playing a game of rugby and was having a drink when I saw it happen," He exclaimed as the memory flooded back. "I saw the World Trade Center get attacked."

While McPeek rushed back to the ship, the Shore Patrol had its hands full trying to get the rowdy bunch at Shenanigans to focus on what had happened.

"When the SP's bust into the place, they told us all to get back to the ship," he said. "Of course, it took a little while to get us all to realize what they were telling us was the truth. After it sunk in, it was like a mad scramble back to the ship."

A few stops and hops later, Torrissi, a newly promoted Lance Corporal, found himself in an Air Force C-130 cargo plane, bound for the as-of-yet unsecured Camp Rhino.

"We went in and it was still Taliban-controlled territory during the whole time we were there," Torrissi explained. "We had an outstanding landing. The kind that feels like a roller-coaster ride."

When McPeek and newly promoted Lance Cpl. Hindes got there a few days later, Torrissi explained the feeling as Nostradamus would explain the future.

"Being a part of history in the making was really exciting," he exclaimed. "For us, it is something to be proud of."

Hindes added the event had much further reaching implications beyond just being part of history.

"It felt good," he said. "It was an insertion of troops that pretty much rewrote part of the MEU standard operation procedures. And we were a part of it."

They went from co-workers to friends after their time in Afghanistan, though the three Marines recognized this only in hindsight, Torrissi said.

"With all the work ups and time spent together, people are going to build a bond," he noted. "We were a tight-knit crew after that ..."

"... Yeah, we figured it out," McPeek chimed in. "We spent about 600 of the last 800 days together. There is definitely a bond formed there."

The bond continued to grow and the Marines again found themselves in a combat situation months after the 15th MEU deployed again - this time to Iraq in support Operation Iraqi Freedom.

"Our part of the mission was to seize and secure the port of Umm Qasr," Mcpeek explained. "From there we moved in to secure Az Zubayr port."

Shortly after that, the MEU took part in another, slightly more famous, slice of the history pie, Hindes mentioned.

"We were in An Nasiriyah, which wasn't secure at the time, and they wanted us to perform a diversionary attack," he said. "Our role was to draw the Iraqi regime away from the hospital that held Jessica Lynch."

Torrissi mentioned that the MEU had their hands full with this mission.

"At the time of the rescue, the MEU was fighting Baath Party loyalists and Saddam Fedayeen," Torrissi explained.

He added that the three Marines started relying more on each other to make it back alive and well.

After the MEU left, the three Marines started receiving permanent change of station orders and it seemed as if the team was destined to split up.

After a few months, the breaking up of the group turned into a surprising reunion, Hindes said.

"In September of 2003, Torrissi and I got orders to Miramar, but to different units," he described.

"So temporarily, we got split up," finished Cpl. Torrissi. "Then Gunny McPeek, who we lovingly refer to as the 'old man,' got orders to be the chief analyst at (Marine Aircraft Group 16), which is exactly the unit I was at."

"When MAG-16 got tagged with the mission of returning to Iraq, who should get temporary assigned duty orders to come to MAG-16?" McPeek asked. "None other than Lance Corporal Hindes."

Hindes claimed it was a battle to get this accomplished, but one worth fighting and one worth winning.

"I was (originally) at Marine Aircraft Group 11, and I fought to get orders to MAG-16 because I wasn't going to let these guys go without me," he said. "If something happened to them and I was in the states, I don't know what I would've done."

In present day, the three Marines again share an office and their experiences. When asked, none of them would have it any other way.

"We work so well together ..." Torrissi started to say.

"... Because we know what each other wants. We know our moods, habits and what needs to get done." Hindes finished.

The crew started calling it "perfect cohesion."

"We respect the boundaries of professionalism," said Gunnery Sgt. McPeek, who was promoted to his present rank just before deploying to Iraq. "But, we have a bond..."

"... That supercedes rank," Torrissi concluded. "We lean on each other."

The outcome of their lives and their travels has been positive to each of the Marines, they said. They all said that they couldn't have foreseen the way it has all turned out.

"It is all coincidence, I'll tell you that much," Torrissi mentioned.

"All we know is that while we are here, ..." McPeek claimed.

"... We'll make sure we all come back together," Hindes concluded.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004328235756/$file/040328-M-9245L-002friendslr.jpg

(left to right)Cpl. Alfred F. Torrissi from Philadelphia, Lance Cpl. James G. Hindes from Morrisville, Vt., and Gunnery Sgt. Cullen D. McPeek from Grand Junction, Colo., take a brief moment to look out into the distance while on top of their building in Al Asad, Iraq March 28. The three analysts for Marine Aircraft Group 16 have stuck together throughout the past few years. The group of analysts went to Afghanistan and Iraq with the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit and they are currently in Iraq again with MAG-16. Photo by: Sgt. Nathan K. LaForte

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/CA06D427ACC0230E85256E650045C996?opendocument

Ellie