PDA

View Full Version : MCJROTC senior shoots for excellence

thedrifter
03-28-04, 07:27 AM
MCJROTC senior shoots for excellence
Submitted by: 8th Marine Corps District
Story Identification Number: 200432511731
Story by Staff Sgt. Raymie G. Cruz

Recruiting Station Albuquerque(March 25, 2004) -- At El Dorado High School in Albuquerque, N.M., the Marine Corps Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps teaches high school students basic military knowledge, including rifle marksmanship.

“What we do is help people prepare for life after high school,” said Sgt. Maj. Lee Dickens, El Dorado High School JROTC Commander. “We have our successes, but we don’t always succeed. It’s those talented individuals that keep us coming to work every day.”

Among those talented individuals in the El Dorado JROTC, one stands out: Lauren Gurney, a 17-year-old senior who is the number one ranked woman air rifle competitor in New Mexico.

Gurney originally got involved in the JROTC after deciding that, upon graduation from high school, she wanted to go to either the Naval or Air Force Academy.
“I wanted to gain more knowledge of the military, and have some sort of background,” Gurney said. “I figured that the best way to do that was to join the Marine JROTC at my high school.”

“Young men and women who have been in the JROTC are about five times more likely to complete an academy,” Dickens said. “Lauren is a prime example of the type of person we like to see in this world. She is bright, articulate and is well-respected throughout the athletic community as well as the academic community.”

During her junior year, Gurney shot the air rifle for the first time and realized it was something in which she could excel.

“The first time I shot in the ‘offhand’ I scored a 79 out of 100 points,” said Gurney. “My dad said ‘There’s no way you’re not a natural shot.’”

After some inspiration from her father, Gurney stepped up her training and began shooting every chance she got.

In April ’03, Gurney went to Las Cruces, N.M., to compete in her first match and realized how good the other shooters were. At the match, she placed 5th in state, but was determined to become number one.

Although her senior year is only the second year she has competed, Gurney made the decision to become the best and took the necessary steps.

“During the first nine weeks of school. I bought my own air rifle from George Benzovich, the coach of the University of Texas in El Paso shooting team,” she said. “I also spent two training sessions with him in order to better my skills.”

After learning more about the competitions and gaining extra coaching, Gurney focused on her goal and used a lot of her free time to practice.
“I would shoot about eight times each week, but had to slow down to four to six times, because this is my senior year and, at this time, your academics are more important than before,” she said.

Since then, Gurney has taken first place in her last three events: the National Rifleman’s Association International, the American Legion International and the NRA three-position air rifle competition.

In the NRA three-position, consisting of kneeling, standing and prone, she scored 282 points out of a maximum 300.

Although Gurney enjoys competing in air rifle matches, she was also given the title of the 2003 Sports Car Club Mechanic of the Year while working with her Dad.

After high school, the Denver, Colo. native has chosen to attend the Air Force Academy and says that some day she would like to see if she can compete in the Olympics with the air rifle.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004325111454/$file/MCJROTClowres.jpg

Lauren Gurney, a 17-year-old senior in El Dorado High School’s Marine Corps JROTC, sights in during target practice. She is the number one ranked woman air rifle competitor in New Mexico. Photo by: Staff Sgt. Raymie G. Cruz

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/04D20402314E506985256E620058946D?opendocument

The Drifter's Wife
Ellie