PDA

View Full Version : Recalled Combat Center Marine makes use of his spare time

thedrifter
03-27-04, 06:24 AM
Recalled Combat Center Marine makes use of his spare time
Submitted by: MCAGCC
Story Identification Number: 2004326213613
Story by Lance Cpl. Anthony C. Bart

MARINE CORPS AIR GROUND COMBAT CENTER TWENTYNINE PALMS, Calif.(Mar. 19, 2004) --

Located between Las Vegas, Los Angeles and San Diego the wide-open roads, desert scenery and

clear skies make the region around the Combat Center ideal for the weekend motorcycle

enthusiast.

Cpl. Dennis C. Nelson, 2nd Section, Provost Marshal's Office, recalled to active-duty to

support the Marines deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom 2, made use of his spare

time aboard the Combat Center by using the Auto Skills Center here to restore and paint a

1972 Harley-Davidson Super Glide.

"I purchased the bike about a year ago," said Nelson, an Ohio native. "My dad wouldn't sell

me his, so I went out and found the exact same bike and bought it."

Nelson thought the motorcycle was great, but he did not like the cranberry color and

proceeded to get estimates from the body shops around Twentynine Palms and Yucca Valley.

"Everywhere I went they quoted me prices that were well above a $1,000, just for the custom

paint job," said Nelson. "That was ridiculous."
Then Nelson heard about the Auto Skills Center, Bldg. 1083, located behind the new

Commissary.

"It was early February when I was working at the front gate [at the Combat Center] and

someone told me about the Auto Hobby Shop and how it could save me money by doing it

myself," said Nelson. "When I looked into it, they told me they had all the tools and a

paint room that would only cost me the price of the paint and they would show me how to sand

the parts down, strip off all the paint and prime it before the final paint job."
"We can save a person so much money by helping them do the job themselves," said Rich

Lovejoy, technician. "We have the tools, the space and the technicians to help do any thing

a person needs or wants done."

Nelson added, "The paint cost me about $60, and by the time I finished the job it cost me

$150. That is a big savings."

The Super Glide is Nelson's first motorcycle, but he was raised around his family's passion

for Harley-Davidsons.

Nelson entered the Marine Corps in 1997 as infantry and became a sniper for 3rd Battalion,

3rd Marine Regiment, while stationed at Marine Corps Base Hawaii.

"I wish I had known about this program when I was in Hawaii," said Nelson. "I would have had

a Harley back then. There is not a lot to do in the area around base, so this gives me

something to do."

The Auto Skills Center not only offers bays and lifts, but the tools and technical help to

do any job.

"Rich Lovejoy is helping me by showing me how to properly polish and buff the parts," said

Nelson. "When that is done I am putting a [Prisoners Of War] symbol on the carburetor."

"Whether it is customizing, restoration, tune ups or a flat tire the skills center will save

you money," said Lovejoy. "Especially with restorations and adding personal touches to a

car, truck or bike, it is always more fun to do it yourself, whether you want to make a

career or hobby out of it."

The Auto Skills Center does more than provide spaces to restore Harleys. It offers roadside

assistance to the spouses of deployed Marines and Sailors, as well as a variety of classes.

"As part of Operation Enduring Families, we go out of our way to support the wives of our

deployed Marines," said Lovejoy. "If they have a tire that continually goes flat, we usually

can fix it for a couple dollars. With our roadside service program, they can give us a call

and we will go there and see what the problem is. We will check the battery, check the

alternator or whatever it takes to get them up and moving again."

For more information on upcoming classes and programs or to make an appointment for service

call the Auto Skills Center at 830-4179 or 830-7527 or stop by during regular business

hours, Wednesday through Friday noon to 8 p.m. and weekends from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004326214649/$file/harleylow.jpg

Cpl. Dennis C. Nelson, Provost Marshal’s Office, primes his 1972 Harley-Davidson Super Glide gas tank for a new coat of paint at the Auto Skills Center. Nelson says he saved a few hundred dollars by doing the job himself with the help of the ASC staff.

Photo by: Lance Cpl. Anthony C. Bart

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/3A4FC5F4F3918EB085256E64000E4DAC?opendocument

Ellie