PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Marine pleads guilty to wearing unauthorized medal

thedrifter
03-26-04, 08:12 PM
March 26, 2004

Ex-Marine pleads guilty to wearing unauthorized medal

By Jay Reeves
Associated Press

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — The head of an organization that honors military heroes faces a possible prison term after agreeing to plead guilty to wearing an unauthorized medal.
Dallas R. Ricker, 69, admitted wearing a Navy Cross medal he hadn’t been awarded, prosecutors said Thursday. The medal is the military’s second-highest award for valor after the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Ricker, a retired Marine sergeant from the Birmingham suburb of Hoover, had been chairman of the Marine Honors Society, a nonprofit group that recognizes military leaders. His current status with the group is unclear.

He agreed to plead guilty to a misdemeanor federal offense that carries a maximum of six months imprisonment and a $10,000 fine. Under the law, Ricker could also get probation. No hearing date was set.

Neither Ricker nor his attorney immediately returned telephone calls seeking comment.

In a statement, U.S. Attorney Alice Martin said part of honoring military heroes is policing the awards system that recognizes them.

“Those who violate the law by wearing decorations which they have not earned may expect to be prosecuted,” she said.

An investigation began last summer after Ricker brought a group of Medal of Honors recipients to Washington for an event that was supposed to be free, said Carol Cepregi of the Congressional Medal of Honor Society.

The recipients wound up having to pay for the trip, she said. Federal agents were tipped off that Ricker was seen wearing a Navy Cross and began a review, she said.

After checking Ricker’s military records, the FBI determined he had not earned the medal, Cepregi said.

“We hear about these phonies at least once a week,” she said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story.php?f=1-292258-2768291.php

Ellie

sgt.lane
03-26-04, 08:42 PM
Fry his balls in hot oil............................................... ..........

MillRatUSMC
03-26-04, 08:50 PM
There's no ex-Marine, this Marine has Dishonored himself by wearing something that other better men than himself have been honored for acts of valor by the Navy Cross.
He was retired so that makes a Marine till he dishonored himself.
They should give him the max, so others might learn.
I just feel sad that he had to resort to wearing a medal to up his self-esteem...sad...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

CAS3
03-26-04, 09:59 PM
I believe he is the poster child for an X Marine...any piece of crap that would pretend to be something he is not.

Up until this event, he would have been a former Marine.

charlie222
03-27-04, 04:49 AM
" Once a Marine, always a Marine", well, once you have Dishonored the Corps YOU are NO longer a MARINE! You lost the ability to use the title forever. charlie222 out.

leroy8541
03-27-04, 05:46 PM
Thats hits the nail right on the head, there is no such thing as an ex-Marine, unless you were dishonored by the corps. If at one time you were a good Marine then became a sh!tbird and got kicked out you are one of the few for sure, an Ex-Marine.

USMC-FO
03-27-04, 06:22 PM
I believe "ex marine" is the correct assessment here.

ivalis
03-27-04, 06:56 PM
Need some help here.

When is it kosher for a non-active personel to even wear a uniform?

charlie222
03-27-04, 08:38 PM
The answer is yes." Retired Marine Corps personnel may wear either the uniform prescribed at date of retirement or any of the current active duty authorized uniforms". (See Uniform Regulations). " While, Honorably separated wartime veterans may wear the uniform authorized at the time of their service". But,"non-wartime service personnel separated(other than retired and Reserve) are not authorized to wear the uniform but may war their medals". charlie222 out.

Soon2BkidTx
03-27-04, 11:03 PM
Well i understand that this guy dishonored our Corps. Maybe when he was a Marine, he felt he did something great and was not awarded for it. You all know how the system works. Some one has to see it and live to tell about it for it to be recognized. Yes we are going to bash him down for doing this, but then and again we dont know this Marines story. I dont know about you all, but i have seen many Marines doing great things and never awarded....I have seen it and i have heard about it from generations of my family being in the service.

Im not saying what he did was right, bc thats as wrong as you can get, but former Marines, Marines today, and future Marines should know the system, how it works, and do glorify all the Marines that have the highest honor of tradition, but dont forget all the other Marines that were on there side doing the same thing they did to get what they got......OOH-RAH! & Semper Fi

charlie222
03-28-04, 06:35 AM
What? Marines know the name "Honor" and Marines also know never to dishornor the "Corps". He was wrong and wearing the 2nd highest award is below any standard of commitment to being in our mist. In my unit in Vietnam a person put in for a Purple Heart for a bite by a snake. But the snake was already dead, was killed by the 1st Sgt. and put in a bucket. He (you quess it) put his hand near the bucket and was bite. This was funny at the time cause he could have been killed by the verom of the Cobra, but what was not funny was when the word got out of his paper work for the P.H. He didnt't get it, but had to see the Bn., CO. and tell him his story. That's when a policy of getting any P.H. you almost had to be dead by enemy action was sent to each Company. Also, most Marines know it never about getting personal awards, but doing things that get the job done. Most times it's not rewarded by Medals. charlie222 out.

vision836
03-28-04, 07:41 AM
I thought I saw this story on JAG well any way put his name on the list next to Pete Rose.

CAS3
03-28-04, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Soon2BkidTx
Well i understand that this guy dishonored our Corps. Maybe when he was a Marine, he felt he did something great and was not awarded for it. You all know how the system works. Some one has to see it and live to tell about it for it to be recognized. Yes we are going to bash him down for doing this, but then and again we dont know this Marines story. I dont know about you all, but i have seen many Marines doing great things and never awarded....I have seen it and i have heard about it from generations of my family being in the service.

THAT IS WHAT SEPERATES MARINES FROM SOLDIERS.
WE DO NOT JOIN OR DO OUR JOBS IN ORDER TO GET A MEDAL.WE ARE MARINES AND IN MY OPINION, SCREW GETTING A MEDAL FOR ANY ACTION. IT IS OUR JOB, LIFE, AND WHO WE ARE.
THE ARMY DISHES MEDALS OUT LIKE THEY ARE CANDY.

Robert Carnot
03-28-04, 07:37 PM
A MEDAL!

There are no EX MARINES; There are those who have been mis-guided; those who have visions of grandeure, and those who are just plain losers. They are our brothers, regardless of their infraction. Let us not judge them; unless we are ready to judge ourselves. CAS3, where do you get your authority to speak? (90-91)? I, as many of us have seen a lot in our days in The Corps. and medals are not what it is about. This is about an individual and we will deal with it and keep the "EX" from our Corps!! CAS, I hope you do not take offense------WLYB!!

Bob C.

USMC-FO
03-28-04, 08:06 PM
Col:

I think your shot at Cas for her service in 90-91 is a not so subtle effort to intimidate. She may not take offense but I do. Her tickets on this site are well known and appreciated.

Secondly I am curious to know if you would tag a Marine as "ex" if he were given a DD or perhaps "drummed out" ? If not why not ?. If so then I would argue that this question of tagging an "ex" in front of a person who clearly seems to be running some sort scam including wearing an unautorized Navy Cross then becomes only a question of where the line of dishonor begins. I suspect for most people this fellow is well past that line and thus clearly warrents the "ex". As I noted previously I certainly do.

charlie222
03-28-04, 09:13 PM
Sorry Col. but USMC-FO is right on target and should fire for effect about the way you have forgotten that CAS3 has establish herself as an Marine when the "Eagle, Globe and Anchor", was place in her hand. Once more I will state that crook is not an Marine. He lost the pleasure of using the honor of being called an MARINE, once and for all time. Semper Fi! to the Marine Corps. charlie222 over & out.

tophor
03-28-04, 09:26 PM
I think that individual should fry!!! Any Marine I know would NEVER disrespect myCorps by doing what he did. That is disrespectful to the Marines that HONORABLY earned the Navy Cross. He should be punished to the fullest extent of the law and then some.

namgrunt
03-29-04, 01:28 AM
Major C:

It does matter when the illegally worn item is the combat earned Navy Cross Medal. Those are not handed out with frequency. They usually mean the guy wearing one went through hell and survived. We're not talking Good Conduct Medal here, but a serious insult to those who didn't fake getting one. Judge not lest ye be judged is well and good, until you cross the line which blemishes the way civilians look at servicemen, wondering whether the ribbons they wear are accurate, or just phony fruit salad worn for show.

Let me approach this from a different angle. I was once at a gun show in Las Vegas. Lots more things are sold than just firearms. In this case, I came across a sword for sale. The owner offered it to me at a discount from the $250.00 he was asking, when I told him I was a former serviceman. I told him thanks for the offer, but I couldnt' accept the generous 15% discount, even though he could see I was fascinated by the weapon.

You see, the sword was a Mameluke Sword, like the one YOU are authorized to wear. I have never been an officer, so I don't rate possessing THAT sword. I would have snapped it up if it had been an NCO sword, but it wasn't. The Ivory handle and the slight curve of the scimitar blade spoke one thing to me: Marine Officer! Leader of Marines! Lt Gen. Chesty Puller! Lt Gen. Victor Krulak! Maj Gen. Howling Mad Smith! 2nd Lt. Alan Kettner, MY Platoon Commander (Annapolis Graduate 1967; KIA, I Corps, Vietnam- 13 April, 1968)!!

The guy selling the blade told me that was nuts, and that it was only a sword. I thanked him and walked away quickly. I didn't want to start a fist fight in a gun show. He had insulted YOU, in addition to all the other Marines who EARNED that sword.

Do you think I'm nuts for passing it up? I understood what it represented. I understood it was a symbol of Marine Leadership. I didn't earn it, so I didn't rate having it, no more than I could wear an officer's uniform with full rank insignia of a lowly butterbar 2nd Lieutenant. I respect what it stands for.

It isn't judgement, it is pride in an outfit bigger than myself, which I'm a part of. I don't call Lee Harvey Oswold a "fellow Marine", even though he did serve, because he broke his oath to shoot the original JFK.

fulmetaljackass
03-29-04, 08:14 AM
Namgrunt.....just my opinion, but there's nothing wrong with just "possessing" that sword. If you're a collector, you're a collector. It's not like you were going to wear it with a uniform and lie to people about earning it.

namgrunt
03-29-04, 09:21 PM
fmj:

I know it is not "against any law" for me to possess the Mameluke Sword. It is the Spirit of the Law I was incensced about. I know the man who had it wasn't a Marine. He had bought it from someone else, who probably got it from some estate sale after the death of a dead Marine officer.

I would also punch out some clown I might see wearing a Purple Heart Medal, if he was under 18 years old. He could not have earned that medal. If it was his dad's, I would point out the solemnity of the award, and what it represented, then would ask if he would please not wear it unless he earned it.

If he was just some smart***ed kid wanting to make an anti-war statement, then I'd bust him up bigtime. I know what I had to go through to get the only PH Medal I have. I'll be damned if I'd let someone get off easy, if they were disrespecting the meaning of the medal. You don't get them in Cracker Jack boxes.

Thats just the way I see it. No apology, just am like this.

Semper Fi!

BC22
03-29-04, 10:27 PM
Last year when I was still a high school senior, I saw a kid standing outside my school wearing the Service A blouse. My school was a pretty liberal school, and just by the look of this kid I figured he had no real respect for the Marine Corps and what it takes to earn and wear the Alpha blouse, but I held my tongue and said nothing. Now, I'd probably ask him politely to not wear a Marine Corps uniform he didn't earn.

FREEBIRD
03-30-04, 08:26 PM
this post goe out to Bob............would call him Sir Bob, but then I never really cared much for Officers anyway. Most of them were right out of colledge and if it wasnt for the NCO's they wouldn't know what to do or when to do it.
For example, Col Bob ask CAS3 what right she has to speak on this subject??? I wonder if he knows shes a Marine, earned the title and probably knows more than him about the subject mentioned. I'm not here to take sides but this one really gripes my (__*__)!!! I think that cute little thing was totaly uncalled for and he should as an Officer and a gentleman appoligize to her.
But then again, what do I know?? LOL
If hes like most Officers he wont see that maybe....just maybe he was wrong, they never did in the 60's and 70;s, don't think it will happen in todays corp either. Don't do as I do, do as I say!!
anyway just my thoughts,

FREEBIRD

CAS3
03-31-04, 12:16 PM
Thank you all for defending me!
Major Bob Carnot is a friend of mine. He was enlisted before crossing over to the other side, so he does know his sh!t!
I think he was trying to ruffle my feathers but as you all here know...it takes more than that to **** me off!! LOL

charlie222
03-31-04, 01:14 PM
Ok, I agree when you say that he is a friend of yours, but CAS3, as I stated the other day once you had the "Eagle, Globe and Anchor placed in your hand - hell you become an "Leatherneck" and no one can take that away from you. Now, on the other hand to support that crook and try to put you down is something your fellow Marines will not let happen former enlisted to officer or not. He should have been aware that he was opening a can of killer bees. charlie222 over & out.

jdfairman
03-31-04, 01:19 PM
Yeah... right on Sgt Freebird. As an officer, everything was given to me. I didn't have to work my way through college, OCS, TBS and presently flight school. Sure as hell didn't have to learn anything. I just showed up on the day of my commissioning, and they threw me an EGA and a uniform. After all that, I came down here to Corpus where they just handed over the keys to this neat airplane and said, "Here ya go LT... Take her for a spin." In reality, I don't know sh-t, and Oh yeah... with all my free time and all, I sit up at nights thinking of new ways to **** off all the enlisted Marines.

maverickmarine
03-31-04, 01:33 PM
I am with USMC-FO. I take offense as well. I served 89'-95' and and did what was asked without question and would do it again. We can't pick what happens when we are in. Even those that have seen no combat should be given our respect since they are still our brothers. It bothers me that you would have someone dishonor our Corps and still say they have the right to be called Marine. No, we don't know his story but we know what is instilled in every Marine and that we live by a certain code that seperates us from the other branches. A primary example of that code would be to have dishonored himself or the Corps by wearing an unawarded medal whether deserved or not.

That is all....

maverickmarine
03-31-04, 01:39 PM
did we just start an enlisted vs. officer deal while I was gone?

FREEBIRD
03-31-04, 01:43 PM
Damm, jdfairman..........you tell it just like I remember it, right to the heres the keys....LMAO
Seriously we had and still do have some good Officers and they do a great job. Most of them are Captains and above, 2nd lts and 1st lts kind of want to bully the NCO's around, but thats just to show whos the boss, even though they don't know SH!T!!
Best Officers I ever knew came up through the ranks and were all for the troops. I guess you wont understand this because you are an Officer and will always think your way, but think about this, some NCO's were in the corp for 6 to 8 years, had an Officer, usually a 2nd Lt or 1st Lt show up right out of OCS and automaticly hes the new boss, gets all the reconition and don't know jack about nothing, still scared half to death, and still missing his mommy!!!
On the other hand, over seas we had some great Officers, new and old with great leadership qualities, and would take them bars off and party with the troops. I'm sure theres good stories and bad, Just don't take it to heart!!
I do belive you when you say you sit up nights thinking of ways to **** off enlisted Marines LOL, alot of them seemed to have that nack!!

FREEBIRD

naclyknine
03-31-04, 04:25 PM
Marines do not lie, cheat, steal or tolerate those that do.

usmchauer
04-10-04, 08:06 PM
naclyknine
Marines do not lie, cheat, steal or tolerate those that do.
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.......

tferg78
04-11-04, 03:30 AM
everyone knows theirs only one theif in the Marine Corps, the rest of us are just trying to get our gear back.

usmchauer
04-11-04, 02:40 PM
LOL @ TFERG!!!

reddog4950
04-12-04, 06:33 PM
Why are U.S. Marines considered the world's premier warriors? Why? What puts the Marine Corps above the rest? Other military services have rigorous training and weapons of equal or greater lethality. So, why do U.S. Marines stand head and shoulders above the crowd?

The truth lies in the individual Marine. He (or she) did not join the Marines. Roughly 40,000 try each year. Those who survive the crucible of Marine basic training have been sculpted in mind and body. They have become Marines.

Once he has earned the title and entered the Brotherhood of Marines, a new warrior must draw upon the legacy of his Corps. Therein lies his strength. In return, the strength of the Corps lies in the individual Marine. The character (often defined as "what you are in the dark") of these warriors is defined by the three constant Corps Values: honor, courage, and commitment.

Honor: Honor requires each Marine to exemplify the ultimate standard in ethical and moral conduct. Honor is many things; honor requires many things. A U.S. Marine must never lie, never cheat, never steal, but that is not enough. Much more is required. Each Marine must cling to an uncompromising code of personal integrity, accountable for his actions and holding others accountable for theirs. And, above all, honor mandates that a Marine never sully the reputation of his Corps.

Courage: Simply stated, courage is honor in action -- and more. Courage is moral strength, the will to heed the inner voice of conscience, the will to do what is right regardless of the conduct of others. It is mental discipline, an adherence to a higher standard. Courage means willingness to take a stand for what is right in spite of adverse consequences. This courage, throughout the history of the Corps, has sustained Marines during the chaos, perils, and hardships of combat. And each day, it enables each Marine to look in the mirror -- and smile.

Commitment: Total dedication to Corps and Country. Gung-ho Marine teamwork. All for one, one for all. By whatever name or cliche, commitment is a combination of (1) selfless determination and (2) a relentless dedication to excellence. Marines never give up, never give in, never willingly accept second best. Excellence is always the goal. And, when their active duty days are over, Marines remain reserve Marines, retired Marines, or Marine veterans. There is no such thing as an ex-Marine or former-Marine. Once a Marine, always a Marine. Commitment never dies.

The three Corps Values: honor, courage, commitment. They make up the bedrock of the character of each individual Marine. They are the foundation of his Corps. These three values, handed down from generation to generation, have made U.S. Marines the Warrior Elite. The U.S. Marine Corps: the most respected and revered fighting force on earth.

enviro
04-13-04, 01:33 PM
Plain and simple - you earn the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor, you are a Marine.... FOR LIFE!

No matter what vile deed you pull, no matter how many times you stuck your head up your ass and farted, you will always be a Marine.

That being said, I'm sure we can attach another label to it such as "Dumbass Marine" or whatever.

I've spent many a day dealing with "problem" Marines. I've seen everything under the UCMJ committed. We hold them accountable as Marines and move on.

This guy, for whatever reason, decided to dishonor himself and the Corps. However, he will just be added to the list of others that have been added for one reason or another. Obviously, this guy was not in his finest hour.

He may not have earned the medal, but he did earn the title. We can't ever take that away. To do so would leave everything open for interpretation on who gets to "stay a Marine" and who doesn't. How many traffic tickets does one have to get before he is an "Ex" - How many joints does one have to smoke before the title "Ex" is thrust upon him?

The title is a time-honored tradition that no man can ever take away. To think otherwise would make you above the Corps. Who here wants to make that claim?

Semper Fi -

namgrunt
04-13-04, 01:52 PM
Reddog:

Good strong words.
Nice graphic too.

I'm not sure what would possess a man who has risen to the rank of First Sergeant in the Corps, to wear bogus ribbons. Perhaps its a hidden insecurity. As a punishment, he should be sent to Iraq with sign on his back saying "Kick me, I'm stupid. I wear false medals and ribbons."