PDA

View Full Version : Marine Combat Training

garrettbd
09-16-02, 12:20 PM
Hello all,

just a quick question for the old salts here. I just became a member of the world's most elite fighting force, the United States Marine Corps last Friday, 13 Sep 02. I graduated from Platoon 2092, Company H, 2nd RTBN. Now that I'm finally a Marine, there really isn't all that much more I could ask out of life. But I was wondering if anyone could give me the skinny on MCT before I get there, next Tuesday. I'm ready to go today, but I do have to take my 10 days of leave. Thanks to anyone who can give me a little info. Ooh-Rah Devil Dogs!

badbob
09-16-02, 01:10 PM
Welcome to the greatest Brotherhood in the World.

I still remember my Graduation - Walking tall and about 4 feet above the ground, unstoppable and immortal. It truly is a great accomplishment.

I can’t tell ya much about your next level; it’s been 38 years since I went to that next level and things have changed a lot. In those days they called it ITR "Infantry Training Regiment".

Here’s a link that should map it all out for ya. It has an actual (1) week training schedule http://www.lejeune.usmc.mil/soi/mct.htm

The only skinny I can offer up is this, you will learn small unit combat tactics and become proficient with map & compass reading, tactical use of small arms weaponry as well as test fire all the Company level, crew served weapons.

Basically, you’ll learn how to get into and out of just about any kind of combat situation they, your instructors, can muster up.

NOTE: I began Boot Training 38 years ago today - Platoon 285 2nd Battalion MCRDPI

Best of luck to you.

Do it for Chesty

Semper Fi,
Bob Neener

mrbsox
09-16-02, 01:59 PM
... we called it I.T.S.

Infantry Training School

As for skinny..... try this.

LISTEN to your Instructors, WATCH your Instructors, and try everything. This is when you get to learn the basics..... that will save your, and your Units A$$.

Were you listening..... I said the BASICS. Not everything you'll ever need, just the begining.

Listen to what is said, as well as the way it's said. Listen and watch when somebody else screws up. They'll get reamed for a reason. When you get out on patrol.... volunteer for POINT. Yhea... I said VOLUNTEER...... it's training. Get ALL you can. The instructors will try to screw you up. Learn from it.

Your BHG is your best asset. Use it.

Good Luck, Gods Speed.

Welcome to 'The Few, The Proud, The best the world has ever seen....... THE MARINES'.

Terry

ahlers_8
09-16-02, 02:05 PM
HEY THERE HARD CHARGER I AM AN INSTRUCTOR AT MCT WEST IN CAMP PENDLETON, CA. MCT IS NOT DIFFICULT AT ALL ANYMORE YOU WILL LEARN TO SHOOT A FEW NEW WEAPONS TO YOU AND LEARN SMALL UNIT TACTICS LIVE...

DEP_Walker
09-16-02, 03:24 PM
Just a quick question, isnt MCT and ITs two different schools. What I was told is that MCT is for those that are not going into infantry and that ITS is for, obviously, Infantry. Just making sure I got my lines straight.

Barrio_rat
10-01-02, 12:11 AM
It was ITS (Infantry Training School) up until about 1988/1989 then it becam SOI (School Of Infantry). I don't know the difference in the names only that the change came. I went in under a kinder-gentler less expensive Marine Corps. Went from boot camp to my A School. No infantry training other than that received in boot camp. CMC Gen Gray brought in the retro of 'every Marine a rifleman' and had 'em all go through the basics. I think it was a good move. They never should have strayed away from it.