PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Rumsfeld: Stop The Waste

thedrifter
03-25-04, 06:59 AM
03-23-2004

Mr. Rumsfeld: Stop The Waste

Col. Hackworth:

I just finished reading several of your old articles and one in particular struck me. 14 MAR 95, "Its such a deal, I'll take two corps full" about how militarily effective and under budget the Marine Corps is. I just finished reading the 3ID AAR for OIF (250 pages) and a book by MG Ray L Smith, USMC ret. "The March up, Taking Baghdad with the 1st Marine Division." MG Smith and another journalist rode with the Marines through the invasion in an SUV never more than a couple hundred yards from the front getting the good word as it happened. One of the first things he described was the Marines fighting on "LogLite," cutting down their load and supply train to be more mobile. I thought this was amazing considering how light Marines already fight. What struck me even more was their rate of advance compared to 3ID with its cumbersome and backlogged supply system. The 3ID AAR devoted many pages of critique to the problems of logistics, from stateside depots to the 2 1/2 ton convoys. With comparable objectives and enemy forces facing them, the Marines raced through Iraq.

After reading this and looking at my surroundings (coalition base in Baghdad), I realized why it costs $4 billion a month to run this war! The Army is spending money like there's no end (yeah, big surprise). Millions have been spent on building up this base which we may abandon in a year. We sometimes drive around in rented SUVs (which are referred to as Non Tactical Vehicles) at the price of $4000 a month each. I walk past a dozen of these on my way to work each day, and there's easily twice that many on this base. I'm not too very far into the loop on most matters (2LT), but I get the impression from my commanders that there's a bottomless pit of funds and they're partaking in it. The phrase is "impact purchase," buying equipment and comfort items for the unit not normally bought in garrison because there's a budget to adhere to.

I'm not trying to smack the Coalition or the Army, but I feel it would be easy to save the taxpayers a few bucks. Its possible I'm naive about these things and don't see the big picture, if there is one, but I remembered after reading your article and MG Smith's book how cost-effective the Marine Corps is. Oh, and by the way, the Marines are back in town.

Army 2LT in Baghdad

March 14, 1995
IT'S SUCH A DEAL, I'LL TAKE TWO CORPS FULL
http://www.sftt.org/daa/14mar95.html

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=Special%20Reports.db&command=viewone&op=t&id=169&rnd=166.0571163424106

Ellie

25snakeman02
03-25-04, 07:22 AM
Unless things have changed since I was in, I pity that 2LT if He is ever discovered for his criticism of his service. Great PR for US!

Snakeman:marine:

Super Dave
03-25-04, 09:36 AM
Same ole..Same...the Army WISHING they could do what the Marines do...

25snakeman02
03-25-04, 12:29 PM
Roger your last Super Dave

usmc4669
03-25-04, 06:16 PM
Army 2LT in Baghdad, possible future Marine.

greybeard
03-25-04, 08:27 PM
Isn't that equivilent to a l/cpl? No offense to l/cpls intended!!

25snakeman02
03-29-04, 12:54 PM
Good News!

25snakeman02
03-29-04, 12:56 PM
Although USMC4669, Saw an article in either Squad Bay or somewhere else about some Marine Officers performing "...Conduct Unbecoming....". I will have to find it and see what your thoughts are

Snake out

d c taveapont
03-29-04, 07:20 PM
i request permission to join the board Marines. i will go under the name the mouse. served in the corps 1969-1973. one tour in the nam. then Camp Lejeune N.Car. 2nd marine div. but my 1st div was the 1st mar div. in nam with lima co. 3/1 at namo bridge. mos 0351. but i carried the prc-25 and walked point ....the mouse

thedrifter
03-29-04, 07:25 PM
d c taveapont

Welcome Aboard to the Best Marine Site on the net. Also welcome to your home away from home................
We have a great crew of Marines in here from WW II to the present............
Throw your sea bag in a corner, pull up a footlocker, sit and chat awhile.........

"AGAIN WELCOME ABOARD."

Ellie

d c taveapont
03-29-04, 09:41 PM
talk about foot lockers, i sure do remember holding those boot camp. as far as the sea bag i lost that years ago.