PDA

View Full Version : Court martial resumes at Camp Pendleton

thedrifter
03-23-04, 07:25 PM
Court martial resumes at Camp Pendleton

SIGNONSANDIEGO NEWS SERVICES
6:43 a.m. March 23, 2004

CAMP PENDLETON – A female lieutenant accused of having sex with a married male subordinate while stationed in Kuwait was due back on the stand today at her court martial to testify in her own defense.

First Lt. Tara Burkhart also is accused of fraternization, sodomy, adultery, conduct unbecoming an officer and dereliction of duty.

Burkhart, 31, faces up to 26 years behind bars if convicted by two-thirds of a jury of Marine officers, which includes five majors, two colonels and two female captains.

The lieutenant testified yesterday that she had not desired a sexual encounter with Sgt. Jose Montes.

She testified she was deployed to Kuwait as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom in February 2003. She said she found out two months later from her second-in- command that a couple of Kuwaiti broadcasters wanted to throw a dinner party to thank the Marines for their efforts in the war.

Burkhart, who worked in public affairs coordinating members of the media embedded with the troops, testified she ran the idea of going to the party past her boss because the celebration was going to involve taking every Marine away from the office.

On May 12, Burkhart said she and the Marines under her command went to the apartment of one of the Kuwaiti TV employees. Burkhart said she put her weapon in her backpack and her men put their guns next to a TV at the apartment where they drank and dined that evening.

After the party, the Marines returned to the apartment and spent the night, and Burkhart allegedly had sex with Montes, according to earlier testimony.

Montes, who received immunity from prosecutors for testifying against Burkhart, was demoted to corporal for his role in the events.

Burkhart claims Montes raped her as she slept. Montes is also being investigated for the alleged rape of a Navy sailor in Kuwait, but has no immunity in that case, according to Lt. Col. Bruce White.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/military/20040323-0643-trial.html

Ellie

HardJedi
03-23-04, 07:33 PM
GOOD GOD! WHY can't people just keep it in their pants or thier legs crossed? WHY is sex so important? No, I am not running down sex, But there was one stretch while i was Ctive duty i went a year and a half without, by CHOICE AND by circumstance.
Either way, WHY take a chance on ruining you career, your life, and OUR CORPS REPUTATION, over sex? Not that this is the worst thing of this kind to ever happen, justthe most recent, and the first one i have seen on these boards since joing, so that's why my comments are as they are.

thedrifter
03-24-04, 08:29 PM
Pendleton lieutenant says she was victim of rape <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Officer, on trial, says sergeant assaulted her <br />
By Rick Rogers <br />
UNION-TRIBUNE UNION-TRIBUNE UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

thedrifter
03-28-04, 07:06 AM
Marine officer is found guilty on dereliction, alcohol counts <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
By Rick Rogers <br />
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER <br />
<br />
March 27, 2004

thedrifter
03-28-04, 07:07 AM
Convicted Marine gets 30 days in brig <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
SIGNONSANDIEGO NEWS SERVICES <br />
12:34 p.m. March 27, 2004 <br />
<br />
SAN DIEGO – A Camp Pendleton-based female Marine lieutenant convicted of...