PDA

View Full Version : I gotta question for ya!

wrbones
09-15-02, 08:18 PM
On another thread, Top asked for opinions on a subject of interest to him. I noticed that a couple of responses seemed phrased more along the lines of convictions to me.

Now this might start some crap, but we need a little excitement around here.

My short definition of the difference between opinion and conviction is this:

An opinion is based on a little bit of knowledge and a little bit of experience. Opinions might change based upon more knowlege or different experience.

A conviction is something you're willing to die for.

Just my opinion.

What's yours? :D

lindagr41
09-15-02, 08:48 PM
I have found that no matter where you post there will always be those that can express their opinion, and be satisfied that others can take it or leave it at that.

Then you have others that will ALWAYS try to change your opinion to match theirs. They will keep coming back at you with why your opinion is 'wrong'. Those are the ones that I feel are going off of their confictions...not opinions.

But then...that's just my opinion. :classic: :ditsey:

me

http://wowjoke.com/image/1003.gif

Barrio_rat
09-15-02, 08:55 PM
Well bones, what you had to say pretty well made sense to me. Just wanted you to know my opinion. ;)

badbob
09-15-02, 10:22 PM
I can add only this;

A conviction is not just something that you are willing to die for - it's also something that you're willing to Kill for.

AND now you have my opinion

Semper Fi,
Bob

Barndog
09-16-02, 04:36 AM
Yep - I'm saying Bob hit that nail rite on the head and drove it home.
It's like the difference between a 'point' and the 'principle of the matter'. A point is on the end of a pencil. When someone tells you , 'but my point is'...... stop them. I usually interrupt and say, 'whats the principle of the matter here'?

If that person can't define a principle, then they have no valid point to make or justify.
Then we have those argumentative types that will badger you and then get to (finally) 'WHAT'S YER POINT? - know what I say? 'I have no point, because I operate on principle and conviction. A point is at the end of a pencil.'

Here's another way to look at it: Are you a Marine on PRINCIPLE - or is the point that you are a Marine?

Takes you back to conviction doesn't it......

Semper FI

Barndog:idea:

Sparrowhawk
09-16-02, 07:29 AM
My opinions are usually based on my convictions, but my convictions are not based on my opinion.

Now that's my <strike>opinion,</strike> conviction. No, that's my <strike>conviction,</strike> opinion, well you know what I mean, but then that's your opinon. LOL

That's why everyone has every right to be wrong!