PDA

View Full Version : What Units Define the Corps?

HardJedi
03-23-04, 02:55 PM
Now, we ALL know that all who earn the title and serve honorably are Marines, no matter their MOS or where and when they served. But I just wanted to ask those of you here, on this board, is there any type of unit that BEST defines the Marine Corps? ALL of the units are necessary, otherwise, they wouldn't exist, ( well, except maybe the MP's) (joking) But, I guess, what i am asking, is who and what have earned the Marine Corps thier reputation? What do people think of when they think of the Marines?

I know what I think, but I want to get as many other REAL Marines opinion on this as possible. PLease, PLEASE everyone who reads this, post your MOS, and what units you think either define the Corps, or what you think MOST people would think of when they think about us.. Does that even make any sense? LOL

Thanks for your help. This means alot to ma, and I'll tell you all what it's about after a signifigant number of responses are posted, ok?

Thanks again.

charlie222
03-23-04, 04:25 PM
The whole Land, Air and Sea Team is what the U.S. Marine Corps is about. With-out that mix it woundn't be able to get "our" job done. Mos 0311/3051. charlie222 out.

USMC-FO
03-23-04, 04:33 PM
I think you really answered your own question here "Hardi". Being a Marine is not just what unit you're in--be it on the pointy end of the spear or in a support or logistics role. It is about a "team" with a single focus--to achieve the objective--regardless of what that objective may be. Marines are all about teamwork, pride and achievement. Everyone contributes. Marines are a working breathing "Ideal". We are a concept that succeeds.

MOS 0811, 0844, 0846

HardJedi
03-23-04, 04:37 PM
I understand that USMC-FO, but what do people OUTSIDE the Corps SEE us as? Who do THEY us as a defining point for the Corps?

mrbsox
03-23-04, 04:39 PM
0341, and a 'Mud Marine' at that.

Never was too much on the spit and polish, it just wasn't 'tactical' !!

But what makes the 'Corps' stand out, what do most people think of, what do I look at after the smoke clears ....

SILENT DRILL TEAM, 8th & I Marines. Watching the evening parade

COM PANYYYYYYYY.....

AT TEEEEEEEN .... CHUN !!!

To hear that SNAP, that rifle butt hit the deck... AS ONE

That means :marine: to me, as much as anything....

after the smoke clears, of course.

Terry
P.I., 3/4, 3/6, '75 to '79

What does the civilian world see ??? It depends on who shows it to them. They see the news, and get GRUNTS :). I don't think the 'average' joe gets to see, or could appreciate, what it takes to 'be one' during drill.

bobpage
03-23-04, 05:05 PM
03, that's me

kentmitchell
03-23-04, 05:37 PM
I'm a grunt. When I was young (first ICE AGE), the one thing that defined the Marines to me was what my family told me: They're The Best.
This was during and after WWII. I had a cousin who was in the 6th Marines from Guadalcanal through the rest of the war--Tarawa, Saipan, Tinian, Okinawa, and we had a picture of him in his greens.
I'm not sure what was in my mind's eye at the time. Just "They're The Best," and "a Marine corporal was equal to a captain in the army," but I'm sure that photo of my cousin was there somewhere.
And when we were getting our a**es kicked in Korea (I was 12) and I read that the Marines were going, I relaxed. We were finally sending The Best.
There must be an answer to the question somewhere in all that.
From here, today, I'd have to say a bunch of grunts humping some hill, hauling a load of stuff on their backs, sound and fury in the background, and all of them bit**in' probably comes to mind.
A Marine and his weapon. Maybe that's it.
It can be a rifle, missle, F-18, Cobra, LAV, whatever. If a Marine is using it, then it's dangerous to be in front of it.
Gung Ho and Semper Fi

sgt.lane
03-23-04, 05:42 PM
2142 trac mech
0411 secondary mos

HardJedi
03-23-04, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by sgt.lane
2142 trac mech
0411 secondary mos

are you saying a trac mechaninc and those who serveas them are the defining units of the Corps? if that's what you are saying, then cool. Everyone of us is important, but I wasn't really expecting THAT kinda answer! ;)

And if that is NOT what you are saying, my bad! LOL

Phantom Blooper
03-23-04, 06:10 PM
If the grunt did not have the support of the machinegunner and mortar man? It is a very pretty sight to see a tank sitting behind your line to be called upon if needed. I cussed the supply man a many times because they wanted to give my men raggedy gear, but I also praised them because I needed to have them with 782 gear and flak jackets and helmets. And in the end they always came through. If you get in tight you may get a can of coffee or two. Some of that gear saved a many life. Couldn’t get along with out them C-rats either. Arty was always very loud, but when the FO called in a grid, they always came through, and took out the target. Couldn’t have called them if it wasn’t for the radioman and the wireman to keep that lines open. Even as s**t was hitting the fan. Thank God we didn’t have to send smoke signals or beat on drums. As a grunt you mostly hump and dig in and then hump again Hurry up, wait, hurry up, move out. But, Motor “T” was always a blessed sight, even if ya were herded into a cattle car, or in the back of a cold bumpy 6x6. That’s where the meat wagons come from too! Historically it is said the grunts and wing do not get along. Again count your blessings for the wing, when you need to make a tactical insurgent 40 miles from your starting location into a hot LZ. Very impressive sight when you see 8 choppers in the sky bringing you reinforcements, waterbulls, mules or a jeep. Hungry call the wing, they will drop the C-Rats by the pallets for you. The wing saved many a life by ferrying the wounded to ships offshore or to a field hospital. Remington Raiders, get a bad rap. But without them your pay and leave would not be. Keep a check on them though, because they are only human. Cooks, God bless them! Try to cook for hundreds and not have a complaint. Get up at 0330 and sometimes don’t leave until 1900.Gotta love it! How about them corpsman, do the same thing as the Marines and save lives too! All the “S” shops and HQ’s provide ya with mail, Intel, an a** chewing and a good laugh now and then. I could go on and on, but by now you should understand where I’m coming from. I love the grunts; I wouldn’t have wanted to do anything else. I found it to be very rewarding. Every Marine is a rifleman. But it couldn’t be done without all of the Marine Corps mos supports. Semper-Fi!

:marine:

HardJedi
03-23-04, 06:22 PM
So Phantom, I guess what your are aying is theat The Corps is The Corps, but combat Arms Units, (which you seemed to talk about the most) are the defining units? Of Course they need the supprt units.

Just asking for some clarification.

Phantom Blooper
03-23-04, 06:33 PM
Every Marine Male or Female needs each other to accomplish the mission. The Marines are basically taught that every man and woman are riflemen. We are not an army of one. I feel that all units support each other. I was a grunt and a grunt SNCO for 16 years minus boot, and I don't see where we could have done everything without the support of everyone else involved. Sorry,HardJedi I can't give anymore clarification than that.Semper-Fi! Chuck Hall :marine:

vfm
03-23-04, 06:34 PM
Back when i was in the Corps every Marine started out as a basic o311.That was a Marine's primary MOS. After completing ITR, then you went on to a specialty school. But you were always a grunt.
Semper Fi !!!
vfm

namgrunt
03-23-04, 06:50 PM
Fleet Marine Forces! Without a doubt or hesitation. 03's!!

People think of Marines landing on hostile beaches and charging the jaws of death. Grunts are the close quarter combatants.

Say a name, and connect an image:
Wake Island, Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Pelelieu, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Inchon, Chosin, Khe Sanh, Hue City, Con Thien, the Rocket Belt, Beirut, Panama, Grenada, Kuwait, Baghdad.

Lots of armor and airwingers, but the grunt is the one who closes with the enemy, and goes hand to hand. His is the Image people remember. We are all grunts under the schooling.

OOH-RAAH!

Semper Fi!

Osotogary
03-23-04, 07:16 PM
I am not a Marine so I'm coming in from "another perspective".
I think the United States Marines are defined by their written Corps Values and their active involvement carrying out those written values. "Attitude"- not a bad word for one of the Marine constants. The idea that the United States Marines have had only one marketing firm to handle their public relations speaks volumes of their approach to their Traditions and Corps Values.
Resourcefulness, tenaciousness, and intelligence all help define what I have seen and known as a United States Marine. Last but not least is generousity. The United States Marines have always been very generous.
Note: I am not a Marine wannabe nor am I a Marine type. I am just letting you all know what I have seen and known.
Osotogary(Gary)

Phantom Blooper
03-23-04, 07:47 PM
Curiosity, HardJedi, I would like to know why you asked this question? Inquiring minds want to know. What is considered a significant number of posts? Semper-Fi!! Chuck Hall

Arty101
03-23-04, 07:58 PM
I think what truly defines us is our history and how we approach our future. It's not just "a," "one," "singular" unit or individual, it's the total package; the team.

When most people see a Marine in uniform, for the most part they have no clue as to what that individual Marine does. And you know what? It really doesn't matter, we've all earned the title. When we don the uniform we represent the Marines, not the Wing, Grunts, Commo, Motor-T, Disbursing, Armor, Arty, FSSG, et al.

"Every Marine a rifleman," okay, that quoted catch phrase does imply infantry, so maybe that's how we're perceived?

This has started to get too philosophical, my brain hurts.

HardJedi
03-23-04, 08:08 PM
OK well, I supopse for the purposes of this board, this could be considered a signifigant number :)

Anyway, here's the scoop.

First though, let me re-emphasise something: If you earned your title, ans you served honorably, then you are now and forever, a United States Marine, regardless of your MOS, or when and where you served. All Marines are my Brothers and Sisters, and i truly mean that. ( even some of it I couldn't stand as people, I woulda gladly fought to the death for them, they may have ben jerks, but they were jerks in MY unit, and in OUR Corps)

So, here we go.

there is something that has been bugging me for awhile. It is the people, who after they end thier active service to the Corps, they go home, and are all of a sudden the baddest man or woman to walk the earth, because they were in the Marines. It is USUALLY, but not alway's people who served in non-infantry/non-combat roles who act this way. The clerk typist, the mail room Lcpl, the suppy clerk, so on and so forth. They LORD it over people that they were Marines, and act like thier stuff doesn't stink, or they become these great war heros (from behind their desks) And that just really bugs me. You almost NEVER ( or at least I haven't) run into any combat Marines who go around acting all high and mighty. They were THERE. They KNOW what they did, and feel no need to pump themselves up by acting all hard and tough.

I don't know, It's like SOME, not all, but SOME of these fellows feel it nescesarry to to justify thier time in the Marines by bieng all hard to their Wives and Kids once they get out.

Whatever. Anyway, I am in NO WAY saying that ALL Marines should not carry themselves with pride. We should. I am not saying anyone is not free to act as they wish. AND I DEFFINATLEY am not saying one kind of Marine is better than another

Well,I just wanted to see what everyone , of ANY mos thought the defining unit/mos of the Corps was.

and so far, my thoughts are correct. o311/rifleman/combat arms ect.

Heck, now i have lost my train of thought and can't finish this, maybe i will be able to later.. LOL

greybeard
03-23-04, 08:48 PM
There's a thousand 'correct' answers to this question. How the rest of the world sees us is inconsequential, unless the viewer happens to be a potential enemy. Then, I hope they see us as hell unleashed on earth.
For the rest of the world, I hope they see us as we see ourselves-Always Faithful.

Tracker
03-23-04, 08:50 PM
What Marine unit do people think of when they think U.S. Marine Corps? They think of the most famous action picture in the world. The flag raising on Iwo Jima. What MOS were those Marines? Well, they covered several MOS's. In the final analysis they were United States Marines. That's why we don't wear unit patches, there is no difference between one Marine and another. A U.S. Marine is a U.S. Marine is a U.S. Marine.
Semper Fi

TracGunny
03-23-04, 09:09 PM
We are a Marine Corps, not a Marine Units; which is no stronger than the sum of its parts. Ultimately, every MOS does its part so that at the end of the day, the Grunt (0311, 0341, 0369, 03whatever...) can stand victorious over a vanquished enemy.

I think I understand HardJedi's question: IMHO, when the average American Citizen who has no inkling of the vast complexities that run on and off the "stage" thinks of the Marine Corps, they see the Grunt, and nothing epitomizes the Marine Grunt better that mrbsox's choice, the Marine Corps Show and Tell Super Grunts, the Silent Drill Team.

So I second mrbsox's nomination of the Silent Drill Team as the single unit that best defines the Marine Corps to the civilian population at large. You can thank the media, Hollyweird, and the slick ad execs of Madison Avenue for that...

Dam, Ostogary! What YOU said! No matter you never wore the dress blue; your son does and you have won our respect as a Brother!

TracGunny
03-23-04, 09:16 PM
crud, I go off for a minute or two to write a reply and 5 posts pop up from where I last left off... hope my above post is still relevent...

sgt.lane
03-23-04, 10:28 PM
I agree with Osotgary as well as the fact that I was a trac mech. Even though in the brotherhood we call Marines it is being the best at everything we do as a team that gets the job done and makes the enemy have respect, good common sense and just plain fear. I was as good with a 9/16 wrench as I was with my M-16..............

HardJedi
03-23-04, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by TracGunny
crud, I go off for a minute or two to write a reply and 5 posts pop up from where I last left off... hope my above post is still relevent... :

:D
Gotta be QUICK Gunny! LOL

riverrat47
03-23-04, 10:34 PM
When civilians think of Marines, they probably envision the Dress Blues, Silent Drill Team and/or the Iwo flag raising. The uniform and Drill Team signifies perfection (at least to me) and the flag raising signifies getting the job done, no matter what the odds.

HardJedi
03-23-04, 10:36 PM
Ok, here is my point! YES I KNOW that ALL Marines are equal, this question in no way is saying one unit is BETTER than another, I guess I am asking you what made us famous? It was our COMBAT prowess, correct?

My VERY best friend since 1st grade also joined the Marines, and he was a electronic repair tech. Do you think I have less respect for my BEST FRIEND EVER and Fellow Marine cause he wasn't infantry? HEll no!

That bieng said, The Germans in WW I didn't coin the term devil dog for the nitfy way we fixed our tanks or polished our boots. Guess that's all I am saying.

no ones job is more important than anothers but what DEFINES the Marine Corps to most people?

sgt.lane
03-23-04, 10:36 PM
ooohrah!!!!!!!!!!!!!Marine Corps

HardJedi
03-23-04, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by sgt.lane
ooohrah!!!!!!!!!!!!!Marine Corps

Was that an agreement of what i just posted above, Sgt.Lane? LOL, any way, Just noticed you were a fellow Show-Me-Stater!

HOWDY FROM KC! LOL I used to work as a bail Bondsman in Columbia Mo, Hope I never had to get YOU out of jail!( just kidding)

MillRatUSMC
03-24-04, 01:09 AM
Gary, I was going along those lines...Marines go through boot camp training as infantry and basic riflemen regardless of MOS to come later.
Main basic topics taught in boot camp are;
1st. History and Tradition
2nd. Drill and Manual of Arms
3rd. Marksmanship
4th. Swimming
5th. But the most important Marine Core Values and Ethics
With this basic knowledge a man or woman will become a basic Marine, and represents with many think of the Marine Corps
Spit and Polish has it's place, the Marines of 8th and I know that they represent all the Marines of the Marine Corps regardless of MOS.
Is any Marine less Marine because of MOS?
I think not!
There is no "I" in TEAM as the Marine Corps team that is worthy of being called a Marine because of the legacy left to us by all that proceed us in the ranks of the Marine Corps
I stop to think of all the Marines that it was my privilege to have served, known and met later on...they covered most of the MOS's of the Corps but I only saw them as Marines
Sgt. George H. Morrow USMC was in communications, MGySgt. Bill Robinson Jr. USMC was in the infantry most of his career.
1st. Lt. Frank S. Reasoner USMC was a Recon Platoon Leader.
I could go on and on but I think you get the idea, all these men were Marines.
Many just see the uniform, it's rather dull and plain, that being Winter Green Alpha's.
Other than individual marksmanship badges and ribbons, there not much to tell what each individual Marines does.
As it should be...
Because we are all MARINES!!!
Yes, I'm shouting because in my signature is this;
TO THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
THAT OTHERS MAY SAY PROUDLY
I AM A MARINE
It does not say what type of Marine because they all were Marines...

"A man or woman is measured
by the footprint,
he or she leaves behind"

"They were the best you had, America,
and you turned your back on them".
~ Joe Galloway ~ Speaking about Vietnam Veterans

“Marines have always been physically and mentally tough.
We must keep squarely in our sights,
the fact that toughness can be decisive in combat.”
~ General Charles C. Krulak ~
31st Commandment of the Marine Corps

TO THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
THAT OTHERS MAY SAY PROUDLY
I AM A MARINE

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

usmc4669
03-24-04, 03:06 PM
We are a brotherhood and it take every element to make it work, not like the Army who depends on the Air Force for their air support. The grunts depends on air support from thr Air-Wing and the Air-Wing depend on the grunts for protection. That is why we are a team.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"I can't say enough about the two Marine divisions. If I use words like brilliant, it would really be an under-description of the absolutely superb job they did in breaching the so-called impenetrable barrier. . .Absolutely superb operation, a textbook, and I think it'll be studied for many, many years to come as the way to do it." (General H. Norman Schwarzkopf, USA, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 27 February 1991.)

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" ..............Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945.

HardJedi
03-24-04, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by usmc4669

[b]"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"I can't say enough about the two Marine divisions. If I use words like brilliant, it would really be an under-description of the absolutely superb job they did in breaching the so-called impenetrable barrier. . .Absolutely superb operation, a textbook, and I think it'll be studied for many, many years to come as the way to do it." (General H. Norman Schwarzkopf, USA, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 27 February 1991.)

]

thanks for those quotes, just backs up what i said. We are KNOWN for our COMBAT Prowess. Nothing else. and YES all support is needed, EVERY Marine is important. But, how many times do I have to say this? I am in NO WAY saying one type of unit is more important than another. They are NOT. I am ASKING what units define the USMC to the world at large in the opinions of my fellow Marines?

Is this question to complicated, or are people just not understanding? I am NOT bieng sarcastic, or a smart ***. I just wanna know, is there anyone who does NOT understand what I am asking for?

charlie222
03-24-04, 04:12 PM
I really don't care what you are asking for at this point. Many Marines have posted their answer to your question and you still want someone to pounce on your question. charlie222 out.

HardJedi
03-24-04, 04:26 PM
pounce on my question? what does that mean?

usmc4669
03-24-04, 04:50 PM
HardJedi
If you are looking for any one unit that BEST defines the Marine Corps, I don't think that you will find just one unit. If you want to get down to facts then the Sea Going Marines of the Continental Marines would be the answer. Nov 10th 1775 till April 1783. The Marines really have two Birthdays Nov 10. 1775 and July 11, 1798, we honor the one on Nov 10, 1775.

On November 10, 1775, the Continental Congress meeting in Philadelphia passed a resolution stating that "two Battalions of Marines be raised" for service as landing forces with the fleet. This resolution, established the Continental Marines and marked the birth date of the United States Marine Corps. Serving on land and at sea, these first Marines distinguished themselves in a number of important operations, including their first amphibious raid into the Bahamas in March 1776, under the command of Captain (later Major) Samuel Nicholas. Nicholas, the first commissioned officer in the Continental Marines, remained the senior Marine officer throughout the American Revolution and is considered to be the first Marine Commandant. The Treaty of Paris in April 1783 brought an end to the Revolutionary War and as the last of the Navy's ships were sold, the Continental Navy and Marines went out of existence.

Following the Revolutionary War and the formal re-establishment of the Marine Corps on 11 July 1798, Marines saw action in the quasi-war with France, landed in Santo Domingo, and took part in many operations against the Barbary pirates along the "Shores of Tripoli". Marines participated in numerous naval operations during the War of 1812, as well as participating in the defense of Washington at Bladensburg, Maryland, and fought alongside Andrew Jackson in the defeat of the British at New Orleans. The decades following the War of 1812 saw the Marines protecting American interests around the world, in the Caribbean, at the Falkland Islands, Sumatra and off the coast of West Africa, and also close to home in the operations against the Seminole Indians in Florida.

During the Mexican War (1846-1848), Marines seized enemy seaports on both the Gulf and Pacific coasts. A battalion of Marines joined General Scott's army at Pueblo and fought all the way to the "Halls of Montezuma," Mexico City. Marines also served ashore and afloat in the Civil War (1861-1865). Although most service was with the Navy, a battalion fought at Bull Run and other units saw action with the blockading squadrons and at Cape Hatteras, New Orleans, Charleston, and Fort Fisher. The last third of the 19th century saw Marines making numerous landings throughout the world, especially in the Orient and in the Caribbean area.

Following the Spanish-American War (1898), in which Marines performed with valor in Cuba, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Philippines, the Corps entered an era of expansion and professional development. It saw active service in the Philippine Insurrection (1899-1902), the Boxer Rebellion in China (1900). and in numerous other nations, including Nicaragua, Panama, Cuba, Mexico, and Haiti.

In World War I the Marine Corps distinguished itself on the battlefields of France as the 4th Marine Brigade earned the title of "Devil Dogs" for heroic action during 1918 at Belleau Wood, Soissons, St. Michiel, Blanc Mont, and in the final Meuse-Argonne offensive. Marine aviation, which dates from 1912, also played a part in the war effort, as Marine pilots flew day bomber missions over France and Belgium. More than 30,000 Marines had served in France and more than a third were killed or wounded in six months of intense fighting.

During the two decades before World War II, the Marine Corps began to develop in earnest the doctrine, equipment, and organization needed for amphibious warfare. The success of this effort was proven first on Guadalcanal, then on Bougainville, Tarawa, New Britain, Kwajalein, Eniwetok, Saipan, Guam, Tinian, Peleliu, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa. By the end of the war in 1945, the Marine Corps had grown to include six divisions, five air wings, and supporting troops. Its strength in World War II peaked at 485,113. The war cost the Marines nearly 87,000 dead and wounded and 82 Marines had earned the Medal of Honor.

While Marine units took part in the post-war occupation of Japan and North China, studies were undertaken at Quantico, Virginia, which concentrated on attaining a "vertical envelopment" capability for the Corps through the use of helicopters. Landing at Inchon, Korea in September 1950, Marines proved that the doctrine of amphibious assault was still viable and necessary. After the recapture of Seoul, the Marines advanced to the Chosin Reservoir only to see the Chinese Communists enter the war. After years of offensives, counter-offensives, seemingly endless trench warfare, and occupation duty, the last Marine ground troops were withdrawn in March 1955. More than 25,000 Marines were killed or wounded during the Korean War.

In July 1958, a brigade-size force landed in Lebanon to restore order. During the Cuban Missile Crisis in October 1962, a large amphibious force was marshaled but not landed. In April 1965, a brigade of Marines landed in the Dominican Republic to protect Americans and evacuate those who wished to leave.

The landing of the 9th Marine Expeditionary Brigade at Da Nang in 1965 marked the beginning of large-scale Marine involvement in Vietnam. By summer 1968, after the enemy's Tet Offensive, Marine Corps strength in Vietnam rose to a peak of approximately 85,000. The Marine withdrawal began in 1969 as the South Vietnamese began to assume a larger role in the fighting; the last ground forces were out of Vietnam by June 1971. The Vietnam War, longest in the history of the Marine Corps, exacted a high cost as well with over 13,000 Marines killed and more than 88,000 wounded. In the spring of 1975, Marines evacuated embassy staffs, American citizens, and refugees in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, and Saigon, Republic of Vietnam. Later, in May 1975, Marines played an integral role in the rescue of the crew of the SS Mayaguez captured off the coast of Cambodia.

The mid-1970s saw the Marine Corps assume an increasingly significant role in defending NATO's northern flank as amphibious units of the 2d Marine Division participated in exercises throughout northern Europe. The Marine Corps also played a key role in the development of the Rapid Deployment Force, a multi-service organization created to insure a flexible, timely military response around the world when needed. The Maritime Prepositioning Ships (MPS) concept was developed to enhance this capability by prestaging equipment needed for combat in the vicinity of the designated area of operations, and reduce response time as Marines travel by air to link up with MPS assets.

The 1980s brought an increasing number of terrorist attacks on U.S. embassies around the world. Marine Security Guards, under the direction of the State Department, continued to serve with distinction in the face of this challenge. In August 1982, Marine units landed at Beirut, Lebanon, as part of the multi-national peace-keeping force. For the next 19 months these units faced the hazards of their mission with courage and professionalism. In October 1983, Marines took part in the highly successful, short-notice intervention in Grenada. As the decade of the 1980s came to a close, Marines were summoned to respond to instability in Central America. Operation Just Cause was launched in Panama in December 1989 to protect American lives and restore the democratic process in that nation.

Less than a year later, in August 1990, the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait set in motion events that would lead to the largest movement of Marine Corps forces since World War II. Between August 1990 and January 1991, some 24 infantry battalions, 40 squadrons, and more than 92,000 Marines deployed to the Persian Gulf as part of Operation Desert Shield. Operation Desert Storm was launched 16 January 1991, the day the air campaign began. The main attack came overland beginning 24 February when the 1st and 2d Marine Divisions breached the Iraqi defense lines and stormed into occupied Kuwait. By the morning of February 28, 100 hours after the ground war began, almost the entire Iraqi Army in the Kuwaiti theater of operations had been encircled with 4,000 tanks destroyed and 42 divisions destroyed or rendered ineffective.

Overshadowed by the events in the Persian Gulf during 1990-91, were a number of other significant Marine deployments demonstrating the Corps' flexible and rapid response. Included among these were non-combatant evacuation operations in Liberia and Somalia and humanitarian lifesaving operations in Bangladesh, the Philippines, and northern Iraq. In December 1992, Marines landed in Somalia marking the beginning of a two-year humanitarian relief operation in that famine-stricken and strife-torn nation. In another part of the world, Marine Corps aircraft supported Operation Deny Flight in the no-fly zone over Bosnia-Herzegovina. During April 1994, Marines once again demonstrated their ability to protect American citizens in remote parts of the world when a Marine task force evacuated U.S. citizens from Rwanda in response to civil unrest in that country. Closer to home, Marines went ashore in September 1994 in Haiti as part of the U.S. force participating in the restoration of democracy in that country. During this same period Marines were actively engaged in providing assistance to the Nation's counter-drug effort, assisting in battling wild fires in the western United States, and aiding in flood and hurricane relief operations.

maverickmarine
03-24-04, 04:50 PM
I started out as a a tanker 1812 and then moved to 0311 then to 0321. I agree that the whole of the Marine Corps is needed to be successful and we are all Marines. However, to answer your specific question I would have to say that people think of either the 03's hitting the beaches or of 8th and I.

charlie222
03-24-04, 04:56 PM
USMC4669, Now that's a answer , plus an history class, Semper Fi! Gunny. charlie222 out.

HardJedi
03-24-04, 05:02 PM
yep, that is DEFFINATLY an answer Gunny! Plus a VERY good history lesson for anyone who did NOT already know it. Thanks to all who have taken the time so far to post on here. I GREATLY appriciate it.

charlie222
03-24-04, 05:05 PM
It's my pleasure, HardJedi. Ooorah! charlie222 out.

usmc4669
03-24-04, 05:08 PM
jwalker1647, you are wrong. Without air cover you would never make it to the beach.

charlie222
03-24-04, 05:17 PM
USMC4669, that comes back to my first post on this question. Land, Air and Sea Team is what the Marine mix is about! charlie222 out.

wayne553
03-25-04, 03:17 PM
Namgrunt
I dont want to burst your bubble BUT most people see a SHARP Marine in Dress Blues FIRST.all the spit n polish then all of what
you said,the grunts
I agree with you,but then I'm not normal people I'm a Marine

wc

http://www.geocities.com/wayne_553/Dyer.html

wayne553
03-25-04, 03:29 PM
Namgrunt
I dont want to burst your bubble BUT most people see a SHARP Marine in Dress Blues FIRST.all the spit n polish then all of what
you said,the grunts
I agree with you,but then I'm not normal people I'm a Marine

wc

http://www.geocities.com/wayne_553/Dyer.html

mrbsox
03-25-04, 06:17 PM
I have a unique opportunity to post an answer for you HardJedi !!

As I live near Nashville, but work in Louisville KY, I have a 'house mate' type situation in Louisville. A few live here full time, and a few of us commute every week.

But, 1 of the guys is from Canada, on a work Visa (yes, his 'papers' are in order). So I asked him;

Go back, before you came to the states (about a year ago), and what is the first thing that comes to mind when I say

United States Marine

What I got was 'the white hat, the blue jacket, and that sword thing they carry' (moved hand in front of his face as in 'sword salute').

Does that help ??

Semper Fi

Terry

reddog4950
03-25-04, 06:36 PM
0300 Mos are the backbone of the Corps, but never forget the Marines are a team, without everyones help in the Corps the job wouldn't get done. Teamwork is what matters.
OK Chit I am also a 03 mos :)

usmc4669
03-25-04, 07:02 PM
I have keep the truth to myself and now it is time to tell all of you BOOTS the real story. What Units Define the Corps? There's only two and that is two Marines not a Unit MOS or Division, those two Marines was and will always be the units that defines the Corps. Now we can end this discussion once and for all. See their picture that I have posted for you.

Semper Fi

Gunny

SSgtOfMarines
03-25-04, 08:48 PM
This is the lamest excuse for a "Grunts are better then anyone else" thread that I have ever seen.

0861/3043~~~~ 2 time combat vet.. enemy never asked for my MOS

HardJedi
03-25-04, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by SgtOfMarines
This is the lamest excuse for a "Grunts are better then anyone else" thread that I have ever seen.

0861/3043~~~~ 2 time combat vet.. enemy never asked for my MOS

Sorry you feel that Way Sgt. though mayeb if you had ACTUALLY read the whole thing, you would know that that is NOT what this is about at ALL!

Of course, no one FORCED you to post, did they?

Semper Fi

0351teufelhund
03-26-04, 03:16 AM
the entire marine corps, regardless of MOS, makes the marine corps the best fighting unit in the world. but the 03s are the backbone of the marine corps. i am biased, as i am an 0351, but the grunts in the **** are what ppl think about when the term "Marine" comes up in conversation. that said, we wouldn't get very far without supply, air, motorT and everyone else that enable the 03s to kick ass on the battlefield.