PDA

View Full Version : A Hunting Trip

Barrio_rat
09-15-02, 03:08 PM
A good buddy of mine sent me this. It's a good story and I thought I'd share it with you. Hope you enjoy it.

-------------------------------

I went out for my annual coyote hunting trip the last week of August.

The first day I had to deal with thunderstorms so I decided to do some scouting. Managed to stay ahead of the storms and didn't get struck by lightning.

The weather was much nicer the second day. I took a break for lunch and decided to drive around and spot coyotes. I managed to get a few photos of the little tricksters as they were hunting for rodents.

I spotted one coyote in a field and decided to stop and watch him. He was moving forward then laying down in the hay stubble. He appeared to be stalking something...then I saw the Llamas...who had already spotted the coyote that was stalking them and were looking nervous. I drove on and stopped in at the nearest farm. I told the folks there that a coyote was stalking their livestock. They told me to "shoot that darn coyote!" There wasn't much cover so I jumped into a ditch that was parallel to the road. I walked it for about 1/4 mile then slid under the fence. I hunkered down and fast walked through a field of alfalfa and got within 200 yards of the coyote before he realized something was amiss. He was looking nervous so I opened up with my BushMaster AR-15. The 40 grain .223 Winchester Supreme Ballistic Tip bullet made short work of this Llama eating rascal. I packed the coyote back to the farm and showed him to the rancher. They thanked me and asked if I'd like to have lunch.

This was the first coyote to fall to my AR-15. Others were taken later during the hunt. I also ambushed my first raven. I'd spotted it hunting bugs as I walked in search of more coyotes. I passed it up since I didn't want to alert the song dogs of my presence. When I returned along the same path I noticed the raven was still hunting so I decided to take a shot. The .223 put him down hard!

My trip was short but I had a great time. It's always nice to spend time outdoors.

Sniperone
09-15-02, 09:13 PM
Great pic Bro! Hunting season is just starting up here in the northeast.....will be posting some hunting pic's of my own! Keep your powder dry!

Barrio_rat
09-15-02, 10:42 PM
Sorry for any confusion on the above posting. That is not my story, as I stated it is something a buddy of mine sent me. It is his rifle and his kill. Wish it was my rifle, I've seen it. Nice piece of equipment there. He's a good man. Goes semi-tactical with the varmints. He would have made one hell of a Marine. Did his time in the AF but I don't hold that against him as he still has tact and bearing. Again, sorry if I let on in any way that that was me.