PDA

View Full Version : Marines run Oahu's perimeter

thedrifter
03-21-04, 06:46 AM
Marines run Oahu's perimeter
Submitted by: MCB Hawaii
Story Identification Number: 200435154849
Story by Lance Cpl. Michelle M. Dickson

MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII, Kaneohe Bay(March 5, 2004) -- "Pain is weakness leaving the body" is a quote used by many Marines.

This weekend, six Combat Service Support Group 3 Marines and one Staff NCO Academy Marine truly felt that saying at the 33rd Annual Oahu Perimeter Run.
"This run is definitely not for the weak; that's for sure," said Robert W. Moffitt, a combat engineer with Engineer Company, CSSG-3, who began the 134-mile relay with the 6.7-mile first leg.

Each member of the relay teams of seven was required to run three legs within the race. However, members couldn't run two legs consecutively, but could have run up to roughly 10 miles in just one leg.

The Perimeter Run is the longest race on the island of Oahu, as it tracks all the way around the entire coastal line of the island.

For a team from MCB Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay, known as the "Angry War Pigs," the race tested their endurance and ability to improve last year's time.

"I had an awesome time last year," said Moffitt. "We had four new members on the team this year, but the camaraderie was still the same."

Daniel Leu, a heavy equipment operator, also with Engineer Co., was one of the first-time runners.
"Moffitt told me about it, and it sounded really interesting," said Leu. "I started out as being an alternate, but then they ended up needing me to actually run the race."

Leu prepared for the race by stretching a lot, to get his body relaxed, and by running and eating healthy.
"Before the race began, I was really nervous; I didn't know what to expect," explained Leu. "I'm really proud now that I've made it. I've never done anything like this before, and honestly didn't know if I ever could."

During the race, team supporters handed out water and cheered for exhausted runners, keeping them motivated.

"I would shout, 'Go Pigs!' when they would all run by; I liked to cheer them all on," said 7-year-old Derrick Robinson, the son of runner Lyle D. Robinson, instructor at the Staff NCO Academy.

At the close of the race, the team ended up a little bit short on its time, compared to last year's.

"Most of us were deployed and only just got back. There was no time to make up for missed training,"said athlete Robinson.

Although they were held back from reaching their goal, K-Bay's Marines said they were very pleased with the outcome of the race. The Pigs said they will be back next year. Not all the same athletes may compete, but several will take up the challenge.
"I want to continue this to carry it on," said Leu. "It's one of the greatest things I've done in a long time."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/947ADD12AD853D1F85256E4E0072554F?opendocument

Ellie