PDA

View Full Version : Okinawa

dikatry
03-16-04, 03:49 PM
Hi, looking for some advice. I’m in my MOS school right now at Camp Johnson and yesterday the let us know our duty stations. I got 1st FSSG at Pendleton which is what I wanted, but a buddy of mine who is having a kid in a couple of months got Okinawa with the 3rd LAR. Well, I told him I was willing to switch with him if they would let us and today we talked to our MSgt and he said to sleep on it tonight and if we still wanted to do it in the morning to let him know and he can have it changed.

My question is. I have never even thought about going to Okinawa until today so I haven’t researched it at all, and now that I have the opportunity to go I would like some info on what its like.

Can anyone here who had been there give me their opinion on what is like. The people, the activities, every thing about you experience there. I have heard that a lot of the local’s don’t like military there, Is this true? Also, I know that they are making it a two-year duty station, have they done this yet? I also wanted to do MSG after a year or so, are you allowed to put in for it when stationed in Okinawa?

Thank you for your help

Semper Fi

GySgtRet
03-16-04, 05:39 PM
dikatry,

Lcpl., I was stationed on Okinawa 3 times, I had two daughters born there. Would I ever go back. In a heart beat. The locals not liking the military? That is truth to a certain degree, but as far as I can tell it is not the general attitude. Just like in the states there is politics, Okinawa is no different. The last time that I was there Dec 89 - Oct 91 there was an Communist Governor on Okinawa (the rock) as some people call it. He tried to get the US banned from Okinawa. This kind of thing has been going on for a long time. I feel that a lot of the attitude may lay with the US Forces, you subject to their laws, etc.... If you could remeber what I was told before I went to Okinawa the first time you may have a good chance of an excellent tour. You represent the United States of America. You are also one of the best Ambassadors that there are in the world being a US Marine. Think of what it would be like if you do get a chance to go there and you have a chip on your shoulders. Right now the temperature is about mid to upper 70's, there is a rainy right about the middle of April. One of the best places to learn how to scuba in the world is on Okinawa. But you probably won't be there much because a lot of the units deploy to places like Korea, Austrailia, Phillipines on occasion. I am not saying that you won't have culture shock because you will. But that is what growing up is all about to me learing different ways and being with different people.

In conclusion, in my opnion tey to go if you can a lot of Marines wind up extending because of what they can do on Okinawa.

I hope that this helps in some way. I almost forgot you can goto through a google search to th Okinawa homepage, sorry I don't remeber the URL.

Semper Fidelis

top1371
03-16-04, 06:40 PM
I spent 11 of 21 years over on the Rock. Three trips. I would have stayed longer or re-enlisted if they would have let me go back.

The training and deployments are great and it is a good place to learn about our Corps.

Most important thing is to get out and see things, dont stay in the barracks.... SCUBA diving is excellent!

dikatry
03-16-04, 06:41 PM
Thanks a lot for your advice Gunny. I'm gonna go ahead and tell the MSgt tomorrow that I wanna go.

Semper Fi

GySgtRet
03-16-04, 07:17 PM
dikatry,

Try going to Okinawa today. Go though google.

It looks like top agrees with me.

Semper Fidelis

leroy8541
03-18-04, 04:29 AM
A bit of advice find a "good" hobby. I have seen alot of good Marines get themselves in a bit of trouble on Okinawa. Scuba diving is excellent, Get out and check the sights on Okinawa, the history is still visible from WWII. The deployments are great. Training is top-notch. There is a whole lot more to do than run Kinville, and whisper alley.