PDA

View Full Version : Games That Marines Play.

HardJedi
03-14-04, 08:18 PM
Now, Maybe it is just that I was in some crazy units or something, but we used to play some pretty crazy games from time to time.

Gonna list a few here, and see if it was just us, or if others played as well.

GAME 1: Battle Ball
50 guy's to a team, two teams
Played on a football field.
ALL 100 players on the field at the same time.
1 EXTRA large ball on the 50 yard line.

When the wistle blows, the only rule is this. GET THE BALL BETWEEN THE GOAL POSTS OF THE OPPOSING TEAM.

tell you what there was some SERIOUS pain dished out in that game. The ball was about 5 foot in diamiter, and the game lasted about an hour, with breaks every ten minutes or so. LOTS of people got hurt playing that one.

GAME 2: Combat Basketball
10-15 guy's per team
Played anywhere we could, as lon as we had two trash cans and two lengths of rope.

Basically, you set up 2 trash cans, about 30 yards apart, with a ring around each can made by a piece of rope. Going inside the ring of rope was forbidden, except by each teams goalie. Other than that, you played with a baskett ball, and the only other rule was this. GET THE BALL IN THE TRASH CAN!

We played that once in 29 palms, and the company CO tackled this poor kid so hard he got the skin scraped off of half his face! man it was a mess.

and in case anyone was wondering about the units i was in?

3rd Platoon, Charlie Co, 1stBn, 6thMar
1st Platoon, Alpha Co, 2nd LAR Bn

( as well as Security forces, NavMag, Guam)

Was it just us, or did others play silly dangerous games like these?

HardJedi
03-15-04, 07:07 PM
you mean to tell me, that I belonged to the only units in the WHOLE Corps, that played these types of games for fun? Jeez, So what DID you guy's and gals do then?

USMC-FO
03-15-04, 07:19 PM
Played the "battle ball" in the 60's--or certainly a variation of it-- but whatever name it went by has long slipped by the brain housing group. I remember very rough and much fun.

MUDMARINE
03-15-04, 08:43 PM
Combat Rugby or in modern terms Xtream Rugby........

Lots and lots of injuries... but it was fun

airborne_jarhea
03-16-04, 07:29 AM
Combat Soccer...speaks for itself.
Combat dodgeball...the guy with the ball was ruthlessly verbally hazed until he hit someone else.
Flak jacket football

HardJedi
03-16-04, 09:52 AM
AHHHH yes! Flak Jacket Football!

SPeaking of which, there was this one time in 92, on the island of Guam, during super typhoon Yuri, we all put on our flaks and kevlars, and went outside to play. Needless to say, there wasn't much of a passing game for either team with 100 mph winds. And, of course, we got into trouble. The CO First Sgt. came out and caught us, and we ALL ended up with extra duty.

bbailey
03-16-04, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by airborne_jarhea
Combat Soccer...speaks for itself.

We did that too, until we took our platoon commander out for a few days :D

HardJedi
03-16-04, 07:20 PM
LOL, yeah, nothing quite like bieng able to put an LT in his place! (no offense against any officers), but some of them, ya really just wanted to hit, same as some of the enlisted, and I'm sure some of them wanted to take us out, as well. All in good fun, of course.

leroy8541
03-18-04, 04:18 AM
We called it War ball. Remember Dizzy Izzy that was always fun, to watch. Flak Jacket Football in Kuwait during Desert Storm. Chicken, Played with K-Bars and bayonnetts, Doc Benevides hated that one.

HardJedi
01-07-05, 11:31 AM
thought I 'd bring this up and see if any of the new member had anything to add. ( new to this site anyway)

JAG5150
01-07-05, 12:13 PM
I was not allowed to play with my own platoon, I broke another Marines ankle playing football (combat) and tore another Marines pectoral when we were wrestling for P.T. I was however allowed to play when we went up against other platoons.

femalemarine_89
01-07-05, 12:27 PM
Many times we played FULL CONTACT football.. Usually it was the Girls against the guys.. They didnt stand a chance.. We were smaller and faster than they were..

http://www.wtv-zone.com/coplove/Cops/trprcar.gif

JAG5150
01-07-05, 12:36 PM
We know all about full contact.

femalemarine_89
01-07-05, 01:37 PM
LOL.. ohh yeah.. funny isnt it.. I can remember back in highschool when in PE class you always had to play flag football.. Beware that you dont hurt the girls.. Then after I graduated, went in the Corps.. Well at my 10 yr highschool reunion, people were shocked.. Was not the itty bitty thing that they remembered from high school.. I grew up alot.. LOL

grayshade
01-07-05, 02:01 PM
Do I sense a beanstock joke comin' on, or a 'roids thing.

femalemarine_89
01-07-05, 02:02 PM
naw I was just an itty bitty thing in school.. When I left for bootcamp I was lucky to weigh 100 lbs.. and only 5'4.. but when I went back for the reunion I was still 5'4 but was weighing in at 125

grayshade
01-07-05, 02:09 PM
Buffy the Charlie slayer, eh.

femalemarine_89
01-07-05, 02:11 PM
LMAO

grayshade
01-07-05, 02:14 PM
What, no comment, Taminator?

JAG5150
01-07-05, 02:17 PM
At least it wasn't 225 then they would have really talked.

femalemarine_89
01-07-05, 02:19 PM
Yeah yeah yeah.. Taminator.. I like that..LOL.. Might have to be a new nickname.. LOL

grayshade
01-07-05, 02:25 PM
Two and a quarter is alot to talk about.

HardJedi
01-07-05, 02:26 PM
are you saying 225 is FAT? I been at LEAST 225 since the 8th grade! LOL who you calling fat? :D

JAG5150
01-07-05, 02:33 PM
Only if you're 5'4" and a female

grayshade
01-07-05, 02:36 PM
Did I say fat? I simply stated that 225 is more to talk about than say 180. Jedi, I would not say anyone was fat unless they said it was okay, and even than I would feel horribly uncomfortable. Uhh,...your shirt really brings out the color of your eyes. Well, 225 at 5'4" is a bit large.

HardJedi
01-07-05, 02:37 PM
nah, haven't been 5'4 since the 5th grade. and, other than bioligicaly, when still just a poor fetus, don't think I have EVER been female ;)

and Grayshade? I know you weren't calling anyone fat. I was just playing around ;)

JAG5150
01-07-05, 02:43 PM
We have to be politically erect in here caloricaly challenged.

grayshade
01-07-05, 02:47 PM
I know, Jedi, just playing the part, trying to get some laughs. I'm a writer, writing is my eye-candy to the unknownst, before they realize I have them and I drop the hammer. Nice line, Jag, nice line.

garryh123
01-07-05, 02:52 PM
We used to play full contact flag football ! Knocked out many a QB with the old elbow to the chest hit! Touchdown prevention used to be kickin the s.o.b. in the nuts!
Those were the days!LOL

HardJedi
01-07-05, 02:54 PM
kicking in the nads? LOL that is a bit harsh to do on purpose!LOL

then again, we used to walk around " cup checking" each other while in formation. LOL

JAG5150
01-07-05, 02:55 PM
You know what they say, "all's fair in love and war"

femalemarine_89
01-07-05, 07:26 PM
Well there is something that I have not shared from my past.. I was the first female in my High School to play on the JV Football team.. I will have to find the pics to show ya.. I was the smallest on the team and ended up playing fricking center..