PDA

View Full Version : Florida as the Next Florida

usmc4669
03-14-04, 08:55 AM
As Florida, theFloridians went to the polls last Tuesday, Glenda Hood, Katherine Harris's successor as secretary of state, assured the nation that Florida's voting system would not break down this year the way it did in 2000. Florida now has "the very best" technology available, she declared on CNN. "And I do feel that it's a great disservice to create the feeling that there's a problem when there is not." Hours later, results in Bay County showed that with more than 60 percent of precincts reporting, Richard Gephardt, who long before had pulled out of the presidential race, was beating John Kerry by two to one. "I'm devastated," the county's top election official said, promising a recount of his county's 19,000 votes.
Four years after Florida made a mockery of American elections, there is every reason to believe it could happen again. This time, the problems will most likely be with the electronic voting that has replaced chad-producing punch cards. Some counties, including Bay County, use paper ballots that are fed into an optical scanner, so a recount is possible if there are questions. But 15 Florida counties, including Palm Beach, home of the infamous "butterfly ballot," have adopted touch-screen machines that do not produce a paper record. If anything goes wrong in these counties in November, we will be in bad shape.

Florida's official line is that its machines are so carefully tested, nothing can go wrong. But things already have gone wrong. In a January election in Palm Beach and Broward Counties, the victory margin was 12 votes, but the machines recorded more than 130 blank ballots. It is simply not believable that 130 people showed up to cast a nonvote, in an election with only one race on the ballot. The runner-up wanted a recount, but since the machines do not produce a paper record, there was nothing to recount.

Florida senior voters have trouble with electronic voting machines

Theresa LePore Supervisor of Elections for Palm Beach County. She was re-elected, without opposition in 2000.

Theresa LePore is a political opportunist who switches party affiliation for political advantage. "When I ran, I chose Democrat because the incumbent was Democrat and the county registration is predominantly Democrat." A woman after my own heart!

Who will they blame this time?

TracGunny
03-14-04, 09:25 AM
I new we should have closed the border decades ago and kept all those Yankees from moving here... we keep getting the blame for their inherent ignorance... LOL

Osotogary
03-14-04, 03:24 PM
TacGunny,
Are you talking about the New York Yankees? LOL
If a person hails from way out West, say the Pacific Nortwest, is that person still classified as a Yankee?
I never really knew for sure. Enlighten me.

HardJedi
03-14-04, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by TracGunny
I new we should have closed the border decades ago and kept all those Yankees from moving here... we keep getting the blame for their inherent ignorance... LOL

and is bieng from Missouri considered bieng a yankee? WE ARE north of Florida! ( by the way, I lived in JAx, FL for a year, nice town.)

usmc4669
03-14-04, 03:53 PM
Osotogary South Florida, how far south, I lived in Miami back in 69 until 73 and then moved to Gainesville, FL, finely got out of FL altogether in 79. Don't know if I would ever go back, they don't know how to vote there.LOL

CAS3
03-14-04, 04:26 PM
Hey TracGunny...it isn't the yankees that makes Florida what it is.

It is the damn snowbirds!

Osotogary
03-14-04, 04:29 PM
usmc4669,
Miramar- (expanding into the future without my permission) LOL
Middle road between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.