PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Vet organizations?

bobpage
03-10-04, 01:36 PM
That is a question lots of Marines and Sailors are asking here at Camp Pendleton. There was a time 21 years ago when all the Marines and Sailors at LeJeune, returning from Beirut and Grenanda, were met by the VFW and American Legion. Dues were paid for the first year to encourage membership. A lot of them joined.

Gulf War, not a lot of recruitment.

Fast forward to now. Again, no one really reaching out. I was already a member of the American Legion from the Gulf War (had to seek them out). This time I sought out the VFW for membership. Good folks, most dual members of both posts. But they never reached out to me. Or the others. So a couple of months later, we have a welcome home parade, and both are present in the parade. I was the only one recruiting. Same old problem.

There are two things I have found that are happening. One is that the folks are hungry for new blood, but overwhelmed with programs and projects while their membership dries up through death or illness. The other is the lack of infusion (or encouragement) of younger blood. One feeds the other.

I work with another former Marine SNCO, like myself, who is a Chaplain (while I am an RP). He is a Viet Nam vet. So I prodded him to join the VFW with me. He declined. Too bitter about the way the old timers treated the Viet vets when they came home. I can see where that was a problem. Lots, not all, WW2 guys had a we won you lost mentality. Cost these organizations a whole generation of true heroes. In most cases it is too late to get them back.

Maybe not. If I could take a second and appeal to you Viet Nam vets, and vets since then who rate membership to reconsider. We can fix it. Why am I appealing this way? Because no one, read no one, will be fighting for vets rights when these current officers start throttling down their involvement. I read the newsletters, papers and the like. I see the pictures and can see the writing on the wall. We need to get in there and get these kids invloved.

Most people have the view of the Posts as bars with smokey rooms, and lots of drinking. Guess what. They aren't. They are servant organizations. Always involved in furthering veterans affairs, and rights. Some of the old salts keep the drinking part up. But by and large, it is not that way at all. I grew up in an Army town. That certainly was my view of them. But I was a miltary brat, with a family tradition of service. I thought of it as a privilege to join these groups of warriors. Still do. But we need to get the warriors of today involved. They all have opinions and desires. We sure could channel these into action. If not, these organizations will die with the times.

We owe it to ourselves to reinvigorate theses organizations. The Marine Corps League, VFW, American Legion, DAV and the like. All are there for our benfits. All fight for us in Washington. Will we join the fight?:marine:

usmc4669
03-11-04, 06:04 PM
I am a life member of Martin D. Denson Post 6878, Abilene, TX.

TracGunny
03-11-04, 06:50 PM
I know the area Veteran organizations here in Jax, Fl are trying to increase recruitment. Jax Semper Fidelis Society "adopted" the home-town Marine reserve unit, B Co.(-) 4th Assault Amphibian Battalion, and worked closely with the family support operations while the company was deployed to Iraq. Jax Detachment 59 Marine Corps League is "adopting" a ship out of NS Mayport to assist family support operations when the vessel deploys. Several organizations set up booths at area events to attract membership. All to increase awarness of the organizations.

I am surprised that Veteran organizations surrounding large military bases do not show a greater presence to attract members.

namgrunt
03-11-04, 07:56 PM
Sorry to say I'm one of the Vietnam Vets who had "problems" with VFW members when I got out of active service. My having a purple heart didn't matter. I chose not to join any of them at that point.

Its been over thirty years now since I went civilian. I guess I should check out one or two local vets orgs. I shall consider it.

Semper Fi!

CAS3
03-11-04, 08:22 PM
Just so you know,
I work for a veteran organization. Each organization has 2 different sides...service and membership. I work for service. I could care less how many veterans pay their dues. You do not need to pay a dime for me to represent you or assist you with VA questions. I am totally against the politics in these organizations. I don't think there is a "post" out there that does more for veterans than any "service" side does. Posts are like joining any club...you can drink for less. That is the only good I see in a post. I have belonged to many! I rather be on the service side...I was public relations for the Marine Corps League in CT. At least I know I am doing soemthing useful with my time and not just sitting on my asz telling war stories. I understand that comraderie is important and that is why I am a member of Leatherneck. I don't need to see your faces to know you are my brothers!

namgrunt
03-11-04, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the info CAS. I never got to see the other side you speak of, since I was tossed out on my ear by the tavern side seat warmers.

I shall consider it. Thanks.

TracGunny
03-11-04, 09:40 PM
I have been a member of Jacksonville Semper Fidelis Society (JSFS) for not quite a year, and already like what is see/do. The premise is Marines helping Marines through networking (jobs, services, etc.) and physical assistance such as helping a Marine move (done that twice so far), building handicap ramps through the Northeast Florida Builders Association's Builders Care (again, twice), community service projects such as washing/maintenance on the Duval Veterans Memorial Wall, and as noted in the above post help look after the local active duty/reserve members and families.

I just joined the Marine Corps League (MCL) and made one meeting so it is too early to judge that organization. However, after one meeting it seems I will (voluntarily) become involved with Veteran's plans for Super Bowl XXXIX; no lack of recognition for Veterans THIS time! Since most of the members of MCL are JSFS members as well, I expect the MCL to be just as involved in activities outside a bar as JSFS.

...and I have yet seen or been forced to talk to a drunk at either organization...

The Northeast Florida Veterans Council (NEFVC) is an organization whose purpose is to unify Veterans' organization in Northeast Florida, thereby providing solidarity in communicating Veterans' viewpoints and a means of disseminating information on issues before local government which affect Veterans, their dependents, and surviving spouses (please see http://www.jaxsemperfidelis.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=264#post264 ). Over 40 area Veterans organizations are members of the NEFVC...

I guess what I am trying to say is not all Vet groups are "drinking clubs". Surely, there is an organization somewhere near you that does not hold its meetings through a bottle or play "my war/generation had it tougher than you"?

stusrt
03-12-04, 11:00 AM
I'm a Desert Storm vet, and a member of the VFW.
But I must say, the VFW post I hang out at here in Philly is almost all VietNam vets.
Where the heck are all you Desert Storm vets? I think I might be the only one at my post.
Someone paid for my platoon's first year dues after the Gulf War. I let my membership expire, and just recently renewed it. I must say, it does seem like a club for older Marines, most of my unit buddies weren't too interested 12 years either.
Stuart Taylor
stusrt@yahoo.com

jlbayley
03-12-04, 12:38 PM
As times goes on and you get older this may change, at least it did for me. I was discharged in "69 and pretty much didn't give a diddly until my Dad died 2/01 and the Legion provided an Honor Guard...