PDA

View Full Version : Whats your opinion on this...

top1371
09-12-02, 10:20 PM
What do you think/feel when you see former Marines wearing cammies as they mow the lawn etc... or walk around with cammie covers?

Just checking...

wrbones
09-12-02, 11:15 PM
Other folks can do what they want.

I don't wear cowboy boots or hats. I'm not a cowboy. I don't wear hats much at all, so that's not an issue. For me, the only reason to wear any kinda cammoflage is when yer goin' huntin'. I'll let the other fella do what he wants, it's his house. Just my opinion. It might change.;)

virwar
09-14-02, 10:01 PM
Top,
I've worn my cammie bottoms, combat boots and olive drab T-shirt while doing out of sight ( non-public ) yard work. Never wore the cammie top or cover, I didn't feel it was right to wear the full cammie set and I never wore them on a public work site at all. I personally don't like these guys wearing earrings with purple and orange hair wearing cammies at all, I don't think they earned the right wear them ( through the Marine Corps or any other branch of the service ). I personally don't like to see the cammie cover worn in a public setting ( even if worn properly, and God help the freak I catch wearing my Marine Corps cover all cock-eyed ). I guess my short answer is, if worn properly ( much like a Drill Instructors wear their cammies at the fighting pit or at PT ) and out of public sight, no problem. That's my humble take Top.
Semper Fi
Dave

USMC0311
09-14-02, 10:07 PM
I don't think any Marine Uniform parts should ever be worn by any Marine not active duty; in public.. Its a respect and Honor thing as far as I'm concerned

virwar
09-14-02, 10:26 PM
Top,
I've worn my cammie bottoms, combat boots and olive drab T-shirt while doing out of sight ( non-public ) yard work. Never wore the cammie top or cover, I didn't feel it was right to wear the full cammie set and I never wore them on a public work site at all. I personally don't like these guys wearing earrings with purple and orange hair wearing cammies at all, I don't think they earned the right wear them ( through the Marine Corps or any other branch of the service ). I personally don't like to see the cammie cover worn in a public setting ( even if worn properly, and God help the freak I catch wearing my Marine Corps cover all cock-eyed ). I guess my short answer is, if worn properly ( much like a Drill Instructors wear their cammies at the fighting pit or at PT ) and out of public sight, no problem. That's my humble take Top.
Semper Fi
Dave

Barndog
09-15-02, 04:56 AM
Respect and Honor for the uniform causes me not to wear it in public. I purchased and prepared new camos to wear AFTER I recieved my regulation haircut (right Joe), THEN put them on with Honor, with other Marines.

In no way will I ever dishonor the uniform that I earned.

Semper FI

Barndog

USMC0311
09-15-02, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Barndog
Respect and Honor for the uniform causes me not to wear it in public. I purchased and prepared new camos to wear AFTER I recieved my regulation haircut (right Joe), THEN put them on with Honor, with other Marines.

In no way will I ever dishonor the uniform that I earned.

Semper FI

Barndog
10-4 Tony I don't see anything wrong with You wearing Your Camo's at the Celebration Bro. In the situation we were in You were honoring the Corps.
Such as this ocassion> http://www.usmc0311.com/AFR_Lansing.asp the Pride and Respect is evident :yes:

I was with ya Marine and I do KNOW You are One "Outstanding Marine" Brother!!! Semper Fidelis, Tony

My comment is directed to those that wear uniforms or uniform parts as common atire.

CAS3
09-15-02, 01:23 PM
I am in total agreement. There is no use to wear the uniform unless you are on duty (active or reserve).

If you are a former MARINE, you do not need to wear the uniform. Your actions, physical attributes, civilian attire(NOT A WRINKLE BOMB), demeanor, honesty, integrity and morals will be enough.

It really p i s s e s me off to see civilian punks running around in cut off cammie pants. Geez what the hell are they thinkin. The deppers are just as bad at this. They think because they are going into the service that they can wear cammies morning, noon and night. DUMBASSES....They need someone to show them the error of their ways....he he he

Barrio_rat
09-15-02, 01:32 PM
I will agree with most of you that cammies should not be worn as some sort of fashion statement or as regular clothing. Especially by civilians. You can always tell when a civilian is wearing ‘em. But I will wear them while doing yard work, going out shooting or hunting. The bottoms. The tops are a very rare item, for me, to be worn.

To bones not wearing cowboy hats or cowboy boots because he's not a cowboy. Well, I do not consider myself a cowboy. I do not ride. I do not rope. I don't have a ranch and I don't ever plan to work a large spread. I do wear cowboy boots and I do have a cowboy hat that I wear. My reason, they are comfortable and have purpose.

Since I have an array of head attire to choose from, it is rare that I wear the Marine Corps cammie cover unless I'm shooting or going out hunting. I've worn the cammo cover with civvies. It's a comfortable hat and, to me, it's not much different than puttin' a sticker on your vehicle stating Marine. I earned the thing, it's mine, I wear it as I choose. I also have the desert cammo eight sided cover and a desert bush cap, again, I earned ‘em, I wear ‘em. Though I tend to limit it to when I'm out hunting or out shooting - I live in the desert. They were made with purpose and function. I wear ‘em for those very reasons.

Maybe my way of thinkin' is wrong. If so, I'd like to hear reasons why. Why I should never wear any part of that which was my life for six years and helped to make me the person I am today. Something that I consider a positive influence on my life and am very proud to say I've been a part of.

Case in point. I was at a gun show a few years back and had the cammie cover on. There were a few men at one table that had items of some interest to me. One of the men asked me "did ya buy that hat?" said "no, I earned it." To which, he replied "Semper Fi!" I had some other similar occasions over the years. I don't see the harm in letting other Marines know who I am and vise versa.

USMC0311
09-15-02, 01:55 PM
Chill Rat!! ain't no rag time here Bro. The Top was just askin "opinions"! We all have one and You are correct Marine !You earned the right to wear it and since you are not in the Corps now the Regulations of Marine Uniform of the day do not apply. I'm sure You have the discretion and pride to wear your gear in good taste. Semper Fi, Thanks for expressing yer feelings to the rest of us Marine!
Only camo I ever had was the rag on my helmet, and that didn't hide me from no one :alien: ;)

top1371
09-15-02, 04:26 PM
ok, thanks for all your opinions. I guess the reason I started this is because I have 60+ days till I go terminal.

I have been trying to figure out what to keep and what to let go. I dont really care what anyone says.... I am not going to keep the whole issue, I plan to keep one of everything (dont really know why) but plan to keep all my cammies. My initial idea is to wear the cammie bottoms for yard work and hunting..... (take all name tags off) and I myself couldnt wear the cover..... but I could wear a bush cover when mowing the lawn.....

Just my thoughts.....

Jim
09-15-02, 07:33 PM
too right, top. When I first got out the only shoes I had were my issue shoes and boots. Wore those boots until they fell apart, it was the only thing my feet were comfortable in. Wore my cammie trousers and bush hat doing yard work around the house but not around town. Have one set of Nam issue hanging in the closet, not that I can get in them now. Drag 'em out now and again when the kids query me about the Nam. For the most part all my uniforms are gone. I did keep one of each when I got out but that was so long ago that about all that's left is a couple of khaki shirts and my "jungles".
As for other folks, I don't really see a problem with former Marines using their cammies for work or hunting. Although it does stick in my craw when I see folks wearing uniform items from any branch that haven't earned it and are wearing it in a manner that demeans those who have earned it.

Kegler300
09-16-02, 06:28 AM
I agree with several of the posters - not out in public. I personally don't wear any part of my uniform except while at work (still active duty). I've got plenty of rags around the house to wear while working in the yard, washing cars, etc. Several of my friends are retired and like to hunt. They wear their cammies while hunting.
s/f