PDA

View Full Version : Need some guidance

Booyah!
03-08-04, 10:20 PM
My dad and I have never really gotten along with my father(whom I live with). He keeps threatening me to kick me out of the house and make me move back with my mother. My mother and I don't get along that well and she lives in another city. I am 18 and in my senior year at highschool. I want to finish where I am but I can't stand having my dad threaten me. I am in the musical at school and it shows the 11th through the 13th. He is saying that he will take me out of the musical because he is mad at me.

I am fed up with it and I just want to get out. He doesn't know how it is making me feel. I just want to screm at him and tell him to leave me alone. I just don't know what to do.:no:

I ship out in August, but I don't know if I can stand to stay with my dad and I refuse to move back in with my mother. I am just growing so tired of it. I just don't know what to do...

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-08-04, 11:48 PM
I can't tell you what to do. All I can say is you need to stay out of trouble and finish school. What ever you have to do to make that happen is what you need to do. This is a temporary situation that will pass in a few months. Don't stress it too much.

airframesguru
03-09-04, 06:31 AM
You'll be there soon. Suck it up the best you can. Hope things get better for ya.

MEU Marine
03-09-04, 07:30 AM
Future Devil Dog,

You are going to run into conflicts like this for the rest of your life and there is no better time than the present to start figuring out how to resolve them. You say your Dad is mad at you- and although you didn't tell us, you know what he's mad at you for. Start with that. Sit down with him man-to-man and discuss the issues. He's mad about something that you did or did not do- you're mad about the way he treats you- this is a simple cycle that has to be broken by both of you agreeing on things that you can compromise on. The first thing you have to do is try to understand his point of view and then agree to meet him halfway. Life is about compromise. Running away from your problems with your Dad by going to live with your Mother is not the way a Marine does business. Marines solve their problems head on by dealing with them. If it takes a compromise, then you make that compromise and move forward. Don't run away from your issues with your Dad- they will not get any better with age. Don't run away from your family life by joining The Corps. Running will never make you a better man- solve your problems and then come join us.

Semper Fi.

thedrifter
03-09-04, 09:10 AM
You don't say when this conflict started.....

We don't get along with everyone....even Our Parents......Are you like your Dad?....Did you ever discuss Your decision with Your Dad about joining the Marines?.....Is Your Dad having a hard time dealing with it?(Stress)(Let him talk with Your Recruiter)...Do you have too much time on Your hands?(Maybe think about getting a job for those extra hours)

You can always talk to another adult, close family member, counselor, preist....but the Main Person should be Your Dad.....
Sit down and see if You can work out things with Your Dad.(Compromise)...You might want to include Your Dad...in Your functions....that he can see why You want to become a Marine...
Talking and Working together can help Your last few months....a better experience.....

The Drifter
:marine:

vision836
03-09-04, 04:33 PM
My dad and I hardly ever got along at home while I was in high school.When I joined the Corps he told me I was nuts and I'll be home in two weeks. Well after 13 weeks and meritorious PFC he saw me walk across the parade deck with the other Marines and it was his proudest day. I hope you can work things out with your dad and he can watch you graduate too. Semper Fi.

Booyah!
03-10-04, 04:21 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. I am trying to talk with him so wish me luck.

jasultan
03-12-04, 12:30 PM
Me and my dad never go along, but the letters he sent me in boot camp, told me that no matter what he was proud of me and the fact that I had joined the MARINE CORPS, as per my sister made his eyes shine with pride. Remember when you earn the title, you have all of us. We don't leave MARINES behind and believe me things will change when you come back from boot camp. Your whole out look on life inculding your family will change. Just hang in there until you ship out.