PDA

View Full Version : New generation of soldiers deploy from Virginia unit that took historic loss at D-Day

thedrifter
03-07-04, 08:14 AM
New generation of soldiers deploy from Virginia unit that took historic loss at D-Day

By Chris Kahn
ASSOCIATED PRESS
12:02 a.m. March 5, 2004

BEDFORD, Va. – National Guardsmen marched into the National D-Day Memorial one day before being deployed in the war on terrorism, remembering the last time their storied company saw battle.

The citizen-soldiers from the 116th Infantry Regiment included about 50 members of Company A, First Battalion, a unit that brought a generation of pain – and later pride – to the rural farming communities in central Virginia.

The last time Company A fought was 60 years ago, as Allied forces attacked Normandy, France, hoping to break Hitler's grasp on Europe. While storming Omaha Beach, 19 of Bedford's 30 fighting men in Company A were killed – a devastating loss for a city of 3,200. It was the largest per-capita loss for any American community from the D-Day invasion.

"It's just wonderful, seeing this," said Pvt. Maxwell Wilson, 22, who had never been to the memorial before. "To think about World War II and everything that went down on D-Day. ... I'm ready to do what I signed up to do."

Children waving flags and veterans greeted the guardsmen as they entered the sprawling campus of polished granite. A high school band played "America the Beautiful" as Gov. Mark R. Warner walked through the rows and shook each soldier's hand.

"I hope you carry these images with you as you go and do your duty," Warner told them.

Roy Stevens, a former guardsman with Company A who took part in the June 6, 1944, Normandy invasion, shared with the soldiers and crowd of hundreds what it felt like to liberate a war-torn region.

"We did it before, and we can do it again," Stevens said.

The National Guardsmen said they were not sure where they were going for the next 18 months, though many said they suspect Afghanistan or Iraq. Officially, they have been transferred to the 3rd Battalion and were scheduled to join the rest of the group Thursday night at Fort Bragg, N.C.

After the ceremony, the 95 guardsmen gathered at the Bedford Armory, Company A's headquarters and training area, for a few final moments with their families before boarding buses for North Carolina.

For everyone, the past few weeks have been a blur of parties and packing and final dishes of mother's fried chicken.

Sgt. Tim Compton, 23, of Stuart, pushed up his wedding date by several months and married his 17-year-old sweetheart, Melissa, 13 days ago. Outside the armory, the two clutched each other at the hip, whispering together as Compton's mother and father stood quietly by, waiting for the buses to come.

"I'm glad to begin serving my country, but I have so much that I'm leaving behind here," Compton said.

Near the front door, Wilson's mother, Irma, said she is trying to be brave for her son, though thinking about where he's about to go still makes her cry.

"I kept thinking of other things he could do: be in an office or teach in a classroom," Irma said, tears welling in her eyes. "But he chose the Guard. I have learned to accept that."

After about an hour, the buses finally came, and the guardsmen hugged their families one last time before lining up again in formation.

Chaplain Joel Jenkins asked God to protect every guard member "until that day when we have peace in our land."

Then, one by one, the guardsmen barked "whoa" as their name was called and jogged to take their seat.

The "Bedford Boys," as Company A's previous generation became known, inspired the building of the National D-Day Memorial.

Since it was dedicated in 2000, the foundation that oversees it has become a center for D-Day research. This year, foundation officials plan to unveil a first-ever census of everyone who fought at Normandy on D-Day.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/military/20040305-0002-bedfordguard.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: