PDA

View Full Version : 1/3 humps into the lead in annual squad competition

thedrifter
03-07-04, 08:10 AM
1/3 humps into the lead in annual squad competition
Submitted by: MCB Hawaii
Story Identification Number: 200435163041
Story by Lance Cpl. Michelle M. Dickson

MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII, Kaneohe Bay(March 5, 2004) -- The annual Super Squad Competition between the battalions that constitute 3rd Marine Regiment at MCB Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay, has come to a close with 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, coming out victorious.

The five-day competition involved humps, swims, obstacle courses, shooting, tactical fighting and a variety of other difficult activities.

Day one began at 3 a.m. March 1, with a 12-mile hump. Marines were equipped with full gear. At the ninth mile, they jumped off a pier and continued the competition with a 250-meter swim - complete with their gear - before emerging from the water to hike the remaining four miles of the contest to the ranges on K-Bay.

Sergeant Nicholes J. Lentz, squad leader for Lima Co., 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marines, said the wear and tear on Marines is what made things the most difficult throughout the competition.

"The lack of sleep for such an extended period of time, with constant training, is what was the most costly to the Marines," he said. "They had such heart and determination, though, that even that could not hold them back."

After the rifle range, the competition moved to the Kahuku Training Area, where squads competed in multiple missions. Some of the many exercises involved patrolling, offensive attacks and defensive positioning.

"All of them did very well during every phase at Kahukus," said Lentz. "Their defensive tactics were definitely the strong point of being out there."
The squads then moved to Schofield Barracks where they participated in Military Operations on Urbanized Terrain (MOUT) training. The main objective during the exercise was to clear all the rooms in the buildings, and to maintain security of the sectors and town. Since today's wars are bringing a majority of battlefields directly into cities, this portion of the squad competition tested the Marines' skills and abilities required to be successful in an urbanized environment.

During the MOUT phase of the contest, Marines equipped with Multiple Integrated Laser Engagement System Gear signaled when another Marine got "shot," which brought a greater sense of reality to the scenario.

"I really liked playing that part," said Lance Cpl. Thomas A. McManus, an aggressor for the MOUT training with 3/3. "You get to experience the situation from the other side, for once, and do more than just defend yourself."

The competition was a first for Lance Cpl. Kristopher W. Phillips, a team leader with 3/3.

"It was so physically demanding. I think it was the best training I've gotten yet in the Marine Corps," he said. "You really test yourself the entire time on how far you're willing to go to succeed."

After all the hardships and training, Lentz still recommends this training to any NCO thinking about the super squad competition.

"You can learn so much during this competition and really sharpen your leadership skills," said Lentz. "I can also say that during this competition, I have worked with some of the most outstanding Marines I ever could have."

Staff Sgt. Jacob M. Murdock, Alpha Co., 1/3 platoon commander, had confidence that his squad would come out successful from the beginning of the super squad competition.

"Since returning from deployment, all the Marines worked long and hard to train for this event," said Murdock. "I think what really got us through was the dedication and teamwork of the Marines, along with great leadership from the NCOs.

Murdock said for next year's competition, the Marines will train even harder to provide an even better performance.

As victors, 1/3 will fly to Washington, D.C., to receive the gold medal from the Commandant of the Marine Corps at Marine Barracks 8th and I.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200435163422/$file/eyeslow.jpg

Lance Cpl. Michael Berte, of 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, looks through the sights of his M16A2 service rifle for any enemy movement in the distance during the 2004 Super Squad Competition at Marine Corps Base Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay, and Schofield Barracks, both on the island of Oahu, Hawaii. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Michelle M. Dickson

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/F569DFB3FE66871585256E4E00762A79?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: