PDA

View Full Version : Making the Corps

JMontilone
03-05-04, 11:44 AM
Today I bought Making the Corps... I know there are a few other books out there such as, Boot and Into the Crucible. Any suggestions for a recruit? Thanks.

Ooh Rah
Jenelle

gatormatt
03-06-04, 12:41 AM
Thats a pretty good book. Quick and entertaining pretty much the whole way through.

vfm
03-06-04, 02:35 PM
This is an old one but the title is "See Paris and Die"

RBirch
03-06-04, 03:56 PM
How about adding some humor to it. Does anyone out there
remember ----

BOOTS and BOONDOCKS
The Story of MARINE BOOT CAMP

Robert Birch 1435820
Plt. 373 4th Recrit Training Battalion
Marine Corps Recruit Depot
San Diego, Calif

This was Sept - Dec. 1953

Bob

Justin493
03-10-04, 09:19 PM
Into the Crucible is a good book. I haven't finished it but so far it gives good information on each phase of the Crucible, and from a recruit's point of view.

JMontilone
03-12-04, 12:51 PM
I finished Making the Corps, I really enjoyed it. I had many of my family members go out and buy it as well. Now I am reading JARHEAD: Anthony Swofford. Anyone else read that one? So far its good... Ill let you know what I think when I finish it.

-Jenelle

MillRatUSMC
03-12-04, 01:35 PM
JMontilone, one must read JARHEAD with an open mind.
The leading character must be Anthony Swofford alter-ego.
He takes too many liberties on what make the Marine Corps
There's too much swearing, much of it could have been left out.
If what Lt. General Victor Krulak USMC said ;
"The Corps is more of the spirit, than of the flesh".
It's it the ethos that guides us on being Marines,
Many men and women or women and men have worn the Emblem of the Marine Corps, so Anthony Swofford of the Marine Corps is just one of millions of opinions.
One must live one's "Core Values" like another Marine said;
"They will have to conduct themselves without supervision, even in combat".
That fact escapes many, to their sorry regret.
So, if I might give you some advise, train and live by the "Core Values" that has gotten you this far, those "Core Values" will be enhaned by the "Marine Corps Core Values".
Soon I'll be looking to see you joining our ranks as a United States Marine...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

JMontilone
03-12-04, 07:21 PM
MillRatUSMC,
JARHEAD may not be the best book for a recruit to read, this I have noticed. My desire to one day earn the title of a United States Marine will never be comprimised by other peoples opinions or ideals. I realize that the military life isnt for everyone, but I believe if you join for the right reasons and stay tough and true, you will be successful. I will continue to read Jarhead but merely for the stories it tells not to adopt his views of the Corps.
Thank you very much for the perspective and advice.

-Jenelle

moose
03-12-04, 09:38 PM
Before I shipped I read both Making the Corps, and Into the Crucible. Both are great books. They give you some good insight on what to expect in recruit trainging. But don't go in thinking you know it all cuz' you won't. In fact you'll find that you know nothing at all. But I recommend you read them both. You'll enjoy them.
I also recommend getting a copy for your parents. I got a copy for my mother before I went, and it really helped alot. She was able to relate to and better understand what recruit trainging is about and what recruits go through. (Well understand as much as parents can, which I guess isn't to much...)

So my advise is this: Buy them. Read them. Tell your parents to read them. Go do some pushups, and go for a run. You'll be set.

Moose

jdfairman
03-13-04, 04:43 PM
There was a series gunny in "Making the Corps" named GySgt Camacho. When I was at Ft. Sill for FDC school, he turned out to be my Battery 1stSgt.
He was the epitome of the "tough but fair" philosophy. Awesome Marine.

showershoe26
03-20-04, 11:34 AM
"There is only one book that has inspired me to make the choices I have made."

That book is called: Keeping Faith
By:John Schaeffer
Frank Schaeffer

It is quite simply the best book I have EVER read in my entire life, I recommend it to all hopefulls!

(Very detailed outline on the training at bootcamp!)

tomass
04-11-04, 05:33 PM
If i may make a suggestion, i would have to suggest reading Flags of our Fathers by James Bradley. It is a different type of book and does not describe Marine Corps basic training but gives you a different prespective. This is easily the best book i have ever read, and may ever read for that matter. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

Tom

ernlariv
04-11-04, 07:09 PM
Can some one explain to me what is the crucible?
I never heard of it.

CPLRapoza
04-12-04, 05:30 AM
The crucible is a series of evolutions, designed for recruits to put all the skills they learnin bootcamp to the test. It also focuses on team work, espirt de corp, and leadership. It was adopted by the Commadant at the time General Krulak. Set in place to act as a right of passage. They changed it, but when I went through, as soon as you made the 15 mile hump back to base after the crucible, you dropped packs on the parade deck, formed up in front of the Iwo memorial and your Drill Instructors walked throught he ranks and handed you your first Eagle, Globe and Anchor, and for the first time called you a Marine.

Omega
04-12-04, 01:06 PM
agreed Jarhead doesn't always put the best light on the Corps. But at least I know to never volunteer for the band, Or anything else for that matter. never fall asleep on firewatch. and most girlfriends aren't to be trusted which my cousin learned the hard way while in Iraq.

Swofford is a good writer but I've talked to several former marines and some AD's and they say it's one guy's story. Different people have different experiences it's all what you make of it. You also have to consider that guy had quite a few issues before going in anyway.

LivinSoFree
04-13-04, 12:46 PM
I've read Swofford's book cover to cover, as well as another one of his shorter pieces. I'll give him this: he sure knows how to make someone think twice, and put a sick feeling in your stomach. But then you have to look at what he's doing. His shorter piece was a very thinly disguised indictment of the US Government and the war in Iraq as entirely motivated by the oil industry. He characterizes the Corps as a horrible thing that ruins lives and leaves empty shells of men. Perhaps in his case, that's true. But in my meager experience, life, and what you do with it, is only what you make of it. Yeah, you might get thrown into some tight spots, certainly Recruit Training will be one of them, and you might take some hits. But in the end, it all comes down to what you take away from it. Having plenty of guys that I grew up with as friends, who are now Marines in all sorts of different areas and MOSs, this only rings more true. Thousands of men and women have stood on those yellow footprints before us, and thousands more will follow us after we have risen to the challenge. The ones before us made it. The ones after us will be counting on our contributions to the legacy of the Marine Corps to help set the standard and see them through. Swofford's book is good as a piece to give you perspective, but I'd suggest taking it with a grain of salt- as I would any other singular work on any subject.

Saurian'sEdge
04-24-04, 01:40 AM
I had the pleasure of being in Sgt Carreys last platoon. If you want to do some research.

12 Dec 1995; 3rd Batt., Kilo Company, Plt 3044.

Now imagine my face when I bought that book..
In the middle of Barnes & Noble

StefanovicN
04-28-04, 01:27 PM
Lucky you Saurian!!!!!

edit: that book was great!

tferg78
04-28-04, 02:01 PM
Flags of our Fathers is another great book. Also, Warning of War is a good one...

Saurian'sEdge
04-29-04, 02:51 AM
"Chesty" by LtCol Jon T. Hoffman, USMCR
THE CORPS SERIES by W.E.B Griffin
"Marine" by Tom Clancy and any "Jack Ryan" novels
"Into the Storm" by Tom Clancy and Gen. Fred Franks USA(ret)
"Blood Warriors" by Michael Lee Lanning
"Stingray" by Mjr Bruce H. Norton, USMC (ret)
"First Recon-Second to None" by Paul R. Young USMC
"Into the Rising Sun" by Patrick K. O'Donnell
"Over There" by Carl Andrew Brannen USMC
"Helmet for my Pillow" by Robert Leckie USMC
"Semper Fi, Mac" by Henry Berry
"The Good War" by Studs Terkel USMC (ret)
"Mission Compromised" by Col Oliver North USMC(ret)
"Warfighting" by CMC Gen. A.M. Gray USMC(ret)
Guidebook for Marines
FM 31-21 Guerrilla Warfare and Special Forces Operations,USARMY
"SAS Handbook"
"US ARMY RANGER HANDBOOK"

Does the CMC still have the reading list? I would like to know.

tferg78
04-29-04, 03:00 AM
yes the CMC still has a reading list

lprkn
04-29-04, 11:12 AM
I found it on a Navy website (http://www.lifelines2000.org/services/library/reading4.asp). Lots of good stuff on that list.

enviro
04-29-04, 11:43 AM
Different people have different experiences it's all what you make of it.

This is so true. I've had friends of mine join the Marines before, during and after I did. Each one has a different take on the Corps. None of them ever regret joining.

As for Lcpl Swofford, I wasn't too happy reading his book. Marines should keep their dirty laundry in house. It's ok to b*tch, in fact, I encourage it. B*tching will keep you busy on those long deployments and make the time go by faster. But that information in the wrong hands can make us look very bad. This is our family. It's nobody's business but the family's business.

The book would have been great had it not been sold publicly. But then, what's the point? Swofford's account of things are very realistic (from what he experienced).

Another thing you should remember is that the Corps changes real fast in a lot of areas. I've been out for a year now and so many changes have taken place. Of course, this is where you'll get the "Back in the Old Corps....." speech from anyone who's been in longer than 2 minutes.

A true story:

Robert Mullen owned Tun Tavern. He's been labeled the first Marine Recruiter. After a long trip at sea, a bunch of merchant sailors were coming in the tavern to get some rum and get drunk. The first guy to enter the tavern sat at the bar where Mullen began to give his pitch.

"Hey fella. We are starting this new organization called the Marines. There will be lots of fighting and you'll get to get off the ship more often."

The sailor replied, "What's the pay?"

"Well, you get 2 dollars a month and as a signing bonus I'll give you a mug of rum and a loaf of bread right now on the house."

"I'll take it!" said the sailor.

So the sailor took his bread and rum and went off to a corner to eat it. Another sailor came in the tavern and Mullen began his pitch again.

"Hey fella. We are starting this new organization called the Marines. There will be lots of fighting and you'll get to get off the ship more often."

The sailor replied, "What's the pay?"

"Well, you get 2 dollars a month and as a signing bonus I'll give you a mug of rum and a loaf of bread right now on the house."

"Naw, I think I'll pass. I'm a big fella and one loaf and one mug just won't do it for me" the sailor replied.

"OK, how about two loaves and two mugs?"

"Sounds good - I'll take it" the sailor agreed.

So the sailor took his bread and rum and went off to a corner to eat it with the other sailor.

"How come you got two loaves of bread and two mugs of rum?" asked the first sailor.

"Well, this recruiter fella up there said if'n I join the Marines, he'll give it to me for free"

"Damn - back when I joined the Marines, we only got.........."