PDA

View Full Version : Marines take a plunge in helo dunker

thedrifter
03-04-04, 06:44 PM
Marines take a plunge in helo dunker

Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification Number: 200422919213
Story by Cpl. Ryan D. Libbert

CAMP HANSEN, Okinawa, Japan (Feb 27, 2004) -- The water rushes into every orifice of your body making it hard to think, making it hard to breathe. Your body is thrown around from the violent impact as you are placed into a small chamber with rising water quickly consuming it. The panic that sets in normally leads service members to drown during a helicopter crash into the ocean, but with proper training Marines are starting to gather confidence in surviving such a horrific event.

The Helo Dunker located at Camp Hansen is the main tool in teaching Marines how to survive a helicopter crash over water. By placing Marines in a chamber resembling the troop area of a CH-46 Sea Knight or CH-53 Super Stallion helicopter, the device develops survival techniques for Marines according to Armando Alonso, site manager for Survival Systems USA’s Okinawa office.

“Our purpose is to instruct Marines on how to properly egress a ditched helicopter anywhere in the ocean,” Alonso said. “The Marine Corps has been using the helo dunker on Okinawa since August of 2002.”

The helo dunker, also referred to as the Modular Amphibious Egress Trainer or MAET, has been a part of educating Marines in water survival for several years.

The helo dunker has become more prominent in training Marines recently Seven Marines lost their lives via drowning in the Pacific Ocean after a deadly helicopter crash off the coast of Miramar, Calif. in December 1999. The following investigation proved the helo dunker should be used more often to properly train Marines when a similar event occurs again.

Since its development, the Marine Corps has installed a helo dunker at Camp Pendleton, Camp Lejeune and Hawaii with the newest on Okinawa.

“Since the installation of the helo dunker on Hansen we have trained almost 2,000 Marines on how to properly egress a helicopter,” Alonso said. “We cannot determine exactly how many lives the MAET has saved, but we have received testimonials from individuals who have survived a crash by applying what they have learned here.”

The helo dunker is lowered into the water at 2.5 meters per second via a mechanical system. It also has the capability to spin around while being lowered giving more realism to the training while disorienting the Marines in it.

“Before I went through this training I never thought about a helicopter crashing when I’m riding in it,” said Lance Cpl. Robert A. Vasquez, antitank assault guided missleman from Company G, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment. “I think this is the most realistic training Marines can get without actually crashing.”

After training nearly 2,000 Marines on advanced water survival, Alonso reflects on the success of the helo dunker and is proud to have educated Marines on how to properly egress from a helicopter.

“The most common fear Marines have before going through the process is being in an enclosed space with a seat belt on as water rushes in over your head,” Alonso concluded. “When it is all done and over with I think each Marine has a higher level of confidence in surviving a ditched helicopter.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200422919234/$file/Release0071-2004-01low.jpg

CAMP HANSEN, Okinawa, Japan - Lance Cpl. Robert A. Vasquez, antitank assault guided missleman from Company G, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, assumes his crash position inside the helo dunker moments before being submerged. The helo dunker is designed to give Marines a realistic experience of crash landing in a ditched helicopter over water. Photo by: Cpl. Ryan D. Libbert

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/7BFBE3BA2750514385256E4A0001EDAA?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: