PDA

View Full Version : Terrorists in the Merchant Marine?

marinemom
03-04-04, 04:32 PM
U.S. Probe Spots 9 Terror Suspects in Merchant Marine <br />
<br />
Updated 1:57 PM ET March 4, 2004 <br />
<br />
<br />
By Caroline Drees, Security Correspondent <br />
<br />
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A 14-month investigation by the...

Lock-n-Load
03-04-04, 06:42 PM
"The Calvary to the rescue"....I have a close relative who is giving alotta consideration to joining the Merchant Marine...he states once employed by the MM his home port is Norfolk, Va...plying his trade to the Atlantic and Mediterranian Seas...two [2] months at sea and 30 days off in each quarter...I told him I'm against this job as his talents/skills are good enough for a career close to family, friends and gridlock...with your timely post, marinemom, I think he'll come to his senses now and leave the terrorists to Homeland Security...I'll sleep better tonite...thank you, marinemom. :marine:

usmc4669
03-04-04, 07:31 PM
We had one in the Army, remember? Who knows we could have them in the Navy, Air Force and also in the Marines

Merchant Marine POW's and MIA's

by Captain George W. Duffy

On September 19, 1998, I was the keynote speaker at the rededication of a POW/MIA memorial on the grounds of the former Pease AFB at Newington, NH. Conversion of the base to civilian use required that the memorial be moved and rebuilt in a position adjacent to the New Hampshire Air National Guard HQ. I agreed to speak on the condition that my remarks would pertain only to U.S. merchant seamen POWs and MIAs.

Slightly over 10 years ago, this could not have been. Then, I was not considered to be a veteran. Then, I did not have the right to wear this POW medal. For over 40 years following the end of WWII, Congress after Congress rebuffed the attempts of WWII merchant seamen who were attempting to gain the veterans status promised us by President Roosevelt shortly before his death.

Finally, in 1988, in response to a legal action, a Federal court judge in Washington ruled that the government was in error and that our service in WWII was to be considered active duty.[./b]

[b]reat injustice was made right!

ertheless, it was a rather hollow victory because the only benefits available to most of us are a flag for our coffin and a grave marker. And for me - the POW medal!

elate this history to provide a back drop for two narratives I wish to deliver today: The merchant seaman POW. The merchant seaman MIA.

the 168,000 persons who sailed in the U.S. merchant marine in WWII it is highly improbable that any one of them ever gave a thought to the possibility of being taken prisoner. The chance of losing one's life to a torpedo, or a bomb, or a kamikaze was an accepted risk, but to become a prisoner was literally unimaginable. The numbers prove my point: 509 men and 1 woman captured [609 including 2 women according to some sources].

Go to this web site to read the rest of the story

http://www.usmm.org/duffymerchant.html

greybeard
03-04-04, 07:58 PM
Off topic, but did you almost blow way today Gunny? Turned a semi trailer over in our yard at work, and tore another's roof off. The news said 80 mph wind. I believe it.