PDA

View Full Version : semper fidelis

usmc4669
03-03-04, 03:04 PM
semper fidelis "always faithful" Marine Corps motto. What it means to me. Faithful to my country, to my Corps, to my fellow man, to my family, to my wife and most of all to my God.

What does it mean to you?

GySgtRet
03-03-04, 04:22 PM
GOD, CORPS, COUNTRY, FAMILY not necessarily in that order.

Semper Fidelis

namgrunt
03-04-04, 09:15 AM
Semper Fidelis:
I agree with GySgtRet, for "God, Country, and Corps" is my intention when I use it.
For me, "Corps" is part of "Family", so I don't use both words.
It also represents that thing which I honored by the oath I took when I came aboard in 1965. I swore to remain faithful in my promise to Preserve, Protect, and Defend the Constitution of the United States of America, against all enemies, both foreign and domestic. I will consider myself an "available militiaman", prepared to defend this nation in an armed conflict, until the day I can no longer use a weapon.
It also means I would stand back to back with any Jarhead on earth and defend our common cause against all comers.

It is interesting to note that we share our Motto with an allied power. One of England's older units, the Army's Devonshire Regiment, the 11th Foot, also ascribes to the motto 'Semper Fidelis'. This is according to information at the History and Museums Division of the Official Marine Corps website.

Semper Fi(delis)!
namgrunt