PDA

View Full Version : 3rd FSSG Marines break out the big guns

thedrifter
03-03-04, 06:14 AM
3rd FSSG Marines break out the big guns

Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification Number: 2004229205135
Story by Lance Cpl. Thomas A. Sloan

CAMP HANSEN, Okinawa, Japan -- Through the soles of their combat boots, on the tender, underside of their feet, the Devil Dogs could feel the ground vibrating as each M2-.50 caliber machine gun round was fired down range. While one Marine fired, others looked on, anxiously awaiting their turn to engage a target with the weapon they had spent the last three days learning about.

More than 40 Marines, with different Military Occupational Specialties from various units within 3rd Force Service Support Group, took part in an Automatic Weapons Course Feb. 3 - 6 taught by the Tactics, Readiness and Training section.

The course ended with a live-fire exercise on range seven here where the Marines were able to put their newly gained skills to the test, according to Gunnery Sgt. Eric T. Baker, instructor for TRT, 3rd FSSG.

“The machinegun is the backbone of any squad,” Baker said as he signaled for the next Marine in line to go ahead and take their position behind the weapon. “The machinegun is an awesome machine when employed correctly.”

The AWC is designed to make the Marines more proficient with the M2-.50 caliber machine gun so that they can effectively engage and destroy the enemy.

It is important for these particular Marines to take the course because they all have MOSs that don’t involve training with the machinegun, Baker said.

“We started first by teaching the Marines general and detailed disassembly of the weapon,” the Trenton, N.J., native said. “They need to know how to take apart and put together the weapon before shooting it and also know how to perform immediate action in case of a malfunction.”

The Marines were also taught machine gun employment and gunner’s-rule and weapon’s safety for targeting engagement.

“Gunner’s-rule and weapon’s safety for targeting engagement teaches how to safely engage the enemy while avoiding casualties,” Baker said. “Due to the caliber and velocity of the .50 caliber round, engaging a target too close could result in friendly fire.”

The machinegun’s purpose is to provide direct fire support so a rifle platoon can safely engage the enemy from the side, Baker said.

“An unsafe distance to engage the enemy when a rifle platoon is near would be about 200 meters,” Baker said. “The rifle platoon would run the risk of being hit by a ricochet from the weapon.”

In the final part of the AWC, just before taking to the range, the Marines performed gun drills to make them feel confident with the weapon.

“We had the Marines practice getting the weapon in and out of action,” Baker said. “On my command, they set up the weapon and pretend to fire on the enemy position.”

Throughout the course, Baker encouraged the Marines to ask questions.

“One Marine might have the same question as a lot of other Marines,” Baker said. “Providing that Marine with the knowledge he’s seeking could make the course information more understandable for the rest of the class.”

Baker hopes the Marines will go away from the course feeling more confident with the weapon.

Most of the Marines in the AWC have an MOS that involves very little, if any automatic weapons training. They found the course very helpful.

“The course made me familiar with the weapon and comfortable with it,” said Pfc. Gilbert Sanchez, administration clerk for G-1 operations, Headquarters Service Company, 3rd FSSG. “Going into the course, I only knew what I was taught in Marine Combat Training(MCT).”

According to Sanchez, the immediate and remedial action part of the course was most beneficial.

“Performing the drills made me more confident with the weapon before going to the range,” the 27-year-old Dallas, Texas native said. “I know what to do in case of a malfunction.”

The Marines will carry the knowledge they gained from the course on with them throughout their career with the Marine Corps.

“The training prepared me for my next duty station at Camp Pendleton where I will be with 1st Combat Engineer Battalion,” Lance Cpl. Michael J. Guillory, combat engineer for Transport Service Battalion, 3rd FSSG said. “I will be going everywhere with the infantry and will need to know how to use the .50 cal in case we encounter the enemy at anytime in combat.”

The 20-year-old Pearl River, La., native said the instructors did a good job teaching him everything he needed to know about the weapon.

“They are very motivated and made the course enjoyable,” Guillory said. “I now know I can effectively use the machinegun if I am ever in the situation were I have to.”

For some Marines, the AWC gave them a chance to do something they wanted to do for a long time.

“I wanted to be a machine gunner when I enlisted, but got mechanic instead,” said Pfc. Jarrett C. Freeman, motor transportation mechanic for Support Company, 3rd Transportation Support Battalion, 3rd FSSG. “I was happy to get the chance to learn about and fire the weapon,” added the 20-year-old Baltimore native.

When all the Marines had fired the weapon, they did a quick clean-up and left the range with the know-how and confidence needed to operate the M2 -.50 caliber machine gun. It’s a monster in the shooter’s hands, a monster now under complete control.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004229205323/$file/Release0076-2004-01low.jpg

CAMP HANSEN, Okinawa, Japan – Gunnery Sgt. Eric T. Baker (right), tactics instructor for Tactics, Readiness and Training, 3rd Force Service Support Group, instructs Lance Cpl. Robert F. Taylor, supply clerk for Headquarters and Service Battalion, 3rd Force Service Support Group, to take remedial action to correct a malfunction with the M2-.50 caliber machine gun during the live fire exercise. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Thomas A. Sloan

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/968A65DE7556267785256E4A000A3747?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: