PDA

View Full Version : Student suspended for Marine Corps shirt

thedrifter
03-02-04, 08:23 AM
Student suspended for Marine Corps shirt
Files lawsuit against district claiming First Amendment violation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: March 2, 2004
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

A high school student suspended for wearing a T-shirt with a machine gun and Marine Corps creed is suing the district over its dress-code policy.

Nathan Griggs, 16, and his father, David, brought the suit in U.S. District Court against Fort Wayne Community Schools, claiming the shirt was protected by First Amendment free-speech rights, the Fort Wayne News Sentinel reported.

Elmhurst High School Principal Laura Taliaferro ordered Griggs not to wear the shirt because it was "inappropriate for the school setting."

After Griggs came to school in the T-shirt March 17, 2003, a school official warned he would be disciplined if he wore it again. He wore it the next day, believing the shirt was protected under the First Amendment, the complaint says.

The shirt has an image of an M-16 rifle and the text of the Marine Corps creed, written by a general after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Also known as "My Rifle," it focuses on the relationship between a Marine and his rifle, the Fort Wayne paper said.

Assisted by the Rutherford Institute of Charlottesville, Va., Griggs and his father are asking the schools be barred from enforcing the "offending provisions" of the dress code.

The suit contends the policy is so strict it prohibits protected speech. For example, a student would be barred from wearing a shirt with the city of Fort Wayne seal because it includes a sword, the complaint said.

The district had no response because of its policy to not comment on pending cases, the New Sentinel said.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=37372

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

MillRatUSMC
03-02-04, 09:36 AM
I'm sitting here thinking;
What might we reply;
It's just a T-Shirt with a M-16 and the Marine's Rifleman Creed..
Yet it's against school policy, in this PC world.
Our "Core Values" says we must obey "Lawful Orders".
We swore to defend the Constitution of the United States of America, under that Constitution is that student's right of free speech.
Yet by the Core Values we live, we cannot advise this young man to disobey a lawful order.
All this is happening in the State that I live in, some hundred miles from where I'm typing all this.
I'm torn between his love for my beloved Corps and his disobedience of a lawful order of school policy.
We would advise him to go along with school policy.
It's just a short time till the school year is over...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

USMC-FO
03-02-04, 11:57 AM
This sort of stuff tends to drive me bonkers. I can appreciate "Mill Rats' approach but I believe I would push this issue too with the courts. some questions I would have are: what exactly is the policy, does is specify what is deemed to be "inappropriate' Do they object to the picture of the M-16? or the "Marine Creed"? do they ban ALL t-shirts? etc. you all get the picture I am sure. Perhaps if there was a policy that said NO T-SHIRTS at all were allowed I could be OK with that. But I am bothered, at my core level, with other folks making determainations that one T-shirt is OK but another is not. Again I understand what is going on here and what the schools are trying to do but I just don't think this is the way to do it.

mrbsox
03-02-04, 12:18 PM
To take the thought process further ...

Possibly the order is against OBSCENITY (sp ??)

Vulgar words or gestures, obscene (adult oriented) phrases or grafics. But this also leaves 'obscene' is in the eye of the beholder open to debate. Some will say that WAR and WEAPONS are obscene.

If it's focused on the weapons issue, or the portrayed vison of war demonstrated by the rifle and creed, I must ask...

Does the school have a JROTC program ?? Are they allowed to wear the MILITARY uniform on school grounds ?? What type of image does that portray ??

Does the school have a 'Color Guard' detail for ball games and such ?? Do they carry rifles (same symbolism) in the performance of these duties ??

This sounds like some panty waisted Ahole with authority didn't like what he saw, and got caught abusing the power that is provided to him/her over the student body.

Terry

thedrifter
03-02-04, 12:34 PM
When my wife worked in the School System....(Our Area)
(Young Teens)

In the begining of the year....The school gave out the schools policies to the children....(If parents wanted them they were sent out to them)....Also posted...in the schools office.....

There was a dress code at that time.....Which stated....that the students were not allowed to wear a T-shirts...that contained any curse words, advertising of drugs, beer, etc., tobacco, and fire arms.....If they disobeyed this rule the school has the right to suspend them...

Now since Ellie is a fighter....and Believes that the main purpose of school is to educate Our Children.....She had worked out with the school....That the children who broke the rule....Parents were called and sent out the rules....and the child had to spend the day wearing there T-shirt inside out.....A One Time Deal......
They learned not to where them to school...

She is guessing it is the pic....but the parent should have been given the schools policies and had explained what Rule was broken ....It is Your Right.....

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

namgrunt
03-02-04, 12:40 PM
The time is coming when students will be required to park their brains in the school parking lot before attending classes. It would be interesting to see what other students wear in that high school. I don't doubt you would find dope smoking and drug friendly graphics on clothing, along with curse words from rap songs.

This is the sort of politically correct BS that people like Michael Moore, and his type, welcome with open arms. We as a nation have allowed ourselves to become oversensitized to the 'progressive' elements of our school systems, as well as our local and national news media.

No one discusses the reality that the IMAGE of a firearm is not the same as the handling and use of one. Incidents, like the Columbine Shootings, have everyone panicing at the mere picture of a gun. It is a simple thing to realize when you make something 'forbidden', you instigate curiousity. The curiousity cannot be openly investigated because of the taboo nature of the subject. So kids who want to shock or frighten their neighbors and classmates just use the new panic levels as their tool.

As for the wearing of a visual emblem, in my area, there was a 15 year old student who wore a T-shirt to school with a likeness of President Bush and an extremely derogatory remark, intended as an insult. He was asked to go home and remove his shirt. This 15 year old kid initiated a lawsuit for "First Amendment Freedom of Speech" rights. The ACLU immediately sided with the boy, and the local news media also sided with him. Soon thereafter, the story disappeared from the press without any concrete resolution being reported.
If the ACLU was so quick to defend this boy, where is it in regards to the young man in Drifter's article above?

LONEEAGLE
03-02-04, 02:30 PM
The rights and freedoms of the citizens of "AMERICA" are being whittled away by these lawsuits. Frivilous, time consuming, hard earned tax money spent to decide if some goof ball kid or parent can get away with something, and if not, then sue the damn "WORLD" so they can make some of hard earned tax money awarded to them by a bunch of nimrod juror's who don't want to be there in the first place, so they give the person sueing as much as the law allows, quickly so they can get out of their duty as juror go home, and find a way to sue somebody. Everybody is "SUE" happy....As long as there are laws/rules, there'll always be somebody tryin' to get away with breakin' them. That's why there are "JAILS." THE ACLU? IS NOTHING BUT A BUNCH OF COMMY CLOWNS, AMBULANCE CHASER'S, AND MAKE THEIR LIVING LIKE THESE LAWYER'S WHO ADVERTISE ON TV....TO STIR UP BUSINESS WITH MORE FRIVILOUS LAWSUITS....GREED.
AND EASY WAY TO MAKE A BUCK WITHOUT DOIN' WHAT THEY SHOULD'VE BEEN DOIN' IN THE FIRST PLACE, OBEYIN' THE LAWS/RULES...... IT'S TIME TO STOP THESE SUITS, AND PRIVILEGES, NOT ALWAYS RIGHTS, MUST BE TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION, WHICH THEY'RE NOT.

Devildogg4ever
03-02-04, 04:38 PM
namgrunt expressed it like I would! Regardless of what branch was on the T-shirt, it's stupid to punish a student for wearing a shirt that supports our troops! When is the school system over protecting these students? They keep doing goody, goody things like this, students will go into the real world and freak!!

CAS3
03-02-04, 04:44 PM
Here's my question...

What is a HS student doing wearing a shirt with a USMC creed on it?

Sixguns
03-02-04, 05:12 PM
Yeah, the kid wearing this T-shirt could start the next Columbine, right? I think the school has a lot more to be concerned with than an imprint on a T-shirt. Just because he wears an shirt with an image of a rifle doesn't mean he is hiding one in his locker. I would love to know the school's history with drugs and other teen violence. I bet they spent more time on this one student than the whole issue of violence or deviant behavior in their school. It's not like the shirt stated "I am a trained killer" on it! I bet there is never a kid with a Marijuana leaf on a shirt or some imprint relating to drug use wandering the halls.

Dragon Air
03-02-04, 06:16 PM
I was a senior in HS 91-92 year. We wore buck knives on our belts and had rifles in racks inside our trucks. It was not uncommon to come to school a little tardy during deer season. We had a shooting team, target and skeet. This was only 11 years ago. What the f#$*?!! It seems like the wold has lost its' collective mind.

And before you guys flame me about being a country boy, I went to school was in Metro Atlanta.

btrogu
03-02-04, 07:52 PM
He can't wear that shirt but kids can come to school with their pants hanging down so their a** can hang out. I work for a school system and believe me, they hear law suit , the will settle.

namgrunt
03-03-04, 01:24 AM
CAS
It was never explained where he got the shirt, but it could have been a gift from an uncle or friend who is active service. It had the Rifleman's Creed on it, not some one liner, such as "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out!" That could be considered incendiary. Since it had a machinegun as the pictured weapon, that places it in the realm of non-threat, since fully automatic weapons are restricted to authorized civilian license holders, law enforcement, and the military. It is interesting to note Hollywood has plenty of access to machine guns for their movies, yet are some of the most rabid anti-gun people in the country.

Dragon Air
I've found country boys to be amongst the best markmen I met while in the Corps. Nobody with a sound mind is going to flame you for it. Of course, I can't speak for the newshounds.

tferg78
03-03-04, 03:59 AM
Hell even in california they let you wear shirts that have a sniper on it and say "671 grains of diplomacy" right now that Marine is in 1/4....

benny rutledge
03-04-04, 01:16 PM
I Don't believe the problem is any thing to do with the Marine Corps message.The Corps is a weapon of war and uses guns.The PROBLEM is this generation of kids embraces Handguns like a cell phone.Just part of being cool and "Down with it".Also mentioned,other T-shirts with equally vile and drug based messages,pants falling to the floor,let's not leave out driving in the almost horizontal position while blasting the neighborhood with Profane sonic booms.It the other kids,staring at the weapons on the T-shirt.The teachers do not want students ogling or discussing guns on school property.Don't blame them,they are nervous enough as it is,and have a right to be.Kids feel justified in Swearing at and assaulting authority.Don't matter who,Police,Parents,Teachers alike.If that don't work for em',they just come back with a (you guessed it) handgun.So it's nobody and everybody's fault here.

arnoldyG/2/5
03-04-04, 04:35 PM
Instead of punishing this young man, the faculty, staff and other students should applaud this young man for supporting our troops and taking pride in our armed services.

Semper Fi

Osotogary
03-04-04, 11:24 PM
I hope that this cartoon fits this thread.
Gary(osotogary)

cmbell
03-05-04, 03:40 AM
I agree with _arnoldyG/2/5_. At least he wasn't wearing a shirt with a .357 on it saying "I am going to kill students and faculty.

kentmitchell
03-05-04, 10:26 AM
Maybe someone should send him the tee with "Pain is just weakness leaving the body."
No gun on it, but that's a good slogan for most of today's high school kids, who are wimps, by and large.

SheWolf
03-05-04, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by CAS3
Here's my question...

What is a HS student doing wearing a shirt with a USMC creed on it?

My 14 year old daughter wears one of her brothers black Marine shirts to her high school,, it has a saying on it,, can't remember it off the top of my head....

this reminds me of a story......

one day a friend of mine went to pick her son up at the high school, now in this school, the students are not allowed to wear any kind of bandana,,,,,,

she was sitting in the parking lot and there was a bandana hanging from the rear view mirror,,, a hall monitor (or sidewalk monitor) walked up to the car and told her she would have to remove the bandana from the mirrow,,, so she did....

she took it off the mirror,, put it on, and walked inside the school,,,,,,, and she wonders why her kids had the reputations of being the "bad boys":bunny:

wayne553
03-06-04, 05:12 PM
you know benny I kinda agree with you on this one The disrespect and all started to change in early 60s.

wc

Mood44
03-06-04, 07:22 PM
It is easy for everyone to second guess this situation but remember the student was told the day before NOT to wear the shirt again. He was given a warning...he amd the choice to break the rule. Now, was the rule stupid? Well I can tell you that as high school administrator, you have to draw the line somewhere. He is not in trouble because he wore a Marine shirt, he is in trouble because he disregarded a rule and wore a shirt with a rifle on the front. Trivial? Perhaps but again, where would you draw the line?