PDA

View Full Version : American Hero addresses Okinawa Marines

thedrifter
03-01-04, 11:41 AM
American Hero addresses Okinawa Marines
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification Number: 200422919278
Story by Pfc. T. J. Kaemmerer

CAMP HANSEN, Okinawa, Japan -- Motivational speaker 1st Lt. Clebe McClary (ret.) visited Okinawa to help boost the morale of Marines stationed here, Feb. 14-19. He told them the story of his life, gave some motivational remarks and most importantly to him, thanked the troops for keeping the United States safe throughout the recent tumultuous times.

“Marines are ready for combat. I know the training is good and the Marines are ready to go,” said McClary. “I just don’t like calling it a peacekeeping mission because there’s going to be fighting. “It’s not a nice time in Iraq right now. I really pray for these young Marines and respect what they’re doing.”

McClary was invited to Okinawa by Cmdr. Don Biadog, chaplain, Commander Task Force 76, to speak with the troops. McClary accepted the invitation to take the flight half way across the world because he knew the uncomfortably long trip would be worthwhile if his message could help just one person.

“At my age, you’re really proud they still want you,” McClary joked. It is nice to be wanted. People make you think that what you’ve got is what the troops need. As long as I feel like I’m helping somebody, I’ll keep doing it.”

McClary, a Vietnam veteran who received The Silver Star, The Bronze Star and three Purple Hearts for his actions, is the definition of the words “American Hero”.
While assigned as a platoon leader with 1st Reconnaissance Battalion, 1st Marine Division, during the Vietnam War, McClary suffered seven critical injuries to include the loss of his left arm and eye and refused to relent in leading his Marines. His injuries later resulted in his having to bear 34 reconstructive surgeries.

“I’ve been some places I hope and pray these Marines don’t have to go,” said McClary. “It’s hard to say keep your head down, but stay alert, keep a good attitude, listen to your leaders, and learn what’s happening from day to day. That’s the best advice I can give anyone in a bad situation.”

Throughout all McClary”s struggles, his wife, Deanna McClary, a hero in her own right, supported him the whole time. She may have even helped him through his struggles more than she knew at the time. As well as knowing he had the life of his Marines in his hands after receiving his injuries in Vietnam, the main thing he wanted to live for was to see his wife again. The two even wrote the book, “Commitment to Love”, together.

“I want to encourage the wives out there,” said Deanna McClary. “It’s hard but the wife needs to support her Marine. They need to work together because the Marine needs to know his wife will always be there for him.”

McClary spoke with the Marines about being the best person, as well as the best Marine, they could be. He gave remarks on morality, communication skills and good leadership. McClaryps words were inspiring and heartfelt with stories of his past. The Marines he spoke to looked as if his remarks had touched their hearts.

“I don’t see where I’m much different than anyone else,” McClary said. “I’ve had a lot of good influences in my life; my dad, my wife and even my men when I was in the Corps. A lot of people think it’s just the famous people who have influence, but to me it’s the people you see every day. You just take something you like about everyone and use it yourself. There’s a lot of folks who went out of their way to get me here today.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004229193050/$file/Release0073-2004-01low.jpg

CAMP HANSEN, Okinawa, Japan - First Lt. Clebe McClary (Ret.) thanks the Marines of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit Feb. 17 at the Kin Blue Beach for their hard work, dedication and sacrifice in defending the United States with their service in the U. S. Marine Corps. Photo by: Pfc. T. J. Kaemmerer

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/DE78B34EF3406B1185256E4A00027C4E?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: