PDA

View Full Version : Mission, quality of life - the circle of life in recruiting

thedrifter
03-01-04, 08:51 AM
Mission, quality of life - the circle of life in recruiting
Submitted by: 9th Marine Corps District
Story Identification Number: 200422512540
Story by Staff Sgt. J.J. Rodriguez

RS TWIN CITIES, Minn.(Feb. 11, 2004) -- Overcoming obstacles in the Twin Cities Recruiting Station is no different from any other station, but these days it seems the only obstacles left to overcome are left to the poolees - the recruiters have triumphed over theirs with RS Twin Cities' record of 39 consecutive months making mission.

More than 80 future Marines from the delayed entry program (DEP_, from three different substations, gathered at the REI Climbing facility in Bloomington, Minn., to test their climbing skills and their mettle against the 60-foot indoor climbing wall.

"It's very important that these young men and women come here and overcome some of their lack of self confidence issues, said Staff Sgt. Frank Rivera, canvassing recruiter, recruiting substation Crystal. "By putting them on the rock they can see for themselves that things can be overcome and challenges can be met."

Recruiters are able to indulge in events such as these because they have established good recruiting plans, which, in turn, enables them to take a little extra time emphasizing certain values to their poolees, according to GySgt. Thomas Larson, assistant recruiter instructor.

"They can actually slow down and enjoy themselves without having to worry about making their mission later on in the month," he said.

"The poolees can also see the level of relaxation on their recruiters and be at ease themselves and focus on overcoming their fear of heights without undue stress," he said.

A recruiter's happiness reflects on his poolees, and a sense of belonging to this unique family drives the poolees to overcome their fears.

"It was a good thing to see the poolees putting a good effort into the wall," said Sgt. Kevin Lawson, canvassing recruiter, RSS Bloomington. "Some didn't seem physically inclined, but they made it. It made me feel good about the caliber of individuals that are going in our Corps today."

"I have lived in many places like Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Eritrea and the Horn of Africa, said Jack Ishkhanian Farrell, a poolee from RSS Bloomington. "I have seen a lot of things I really didn't want to see, but I saw Marines there too, and I idolized them."

According to Larson, the quality of life is directly related to each recruiter's ability to make mission. When mission is made, recruiters get a sense of accomplishment and pride, which is then transferred to not only each poolee but the recruiter's family as well. Happy poolees help the recruiters in the climb to make mission, creating a perpetual cycle of success.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200422513054/$file/Climb1LOW.jpg

Staff Sgt. Josh Wilson, canvassing recruiter for RSS Coon Rapids, RS Twin Cities, demonstrates how to climb the wall during a recent pool function at REI Climbing facility in Bloomington, Minn. Photo by: Staff Sgt. J.J. Rodriguez

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/A0AA420A6F1F1C3485256E4500625408?opendocument

The Drifter
:marine: