PDA

View Full Version : Marine succeeds in long road to obtaining U.S. citizenship

thedrifter
03-01-04, 08:43 AM
Marine succeeds in long road to obtaining U.S. citizenship

Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification Number: 2004229214739
Story by Sgt. Danny L. Patterson

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION FUTENMA, Okinawa, Japan -- Like many boys, Master Sgt. Douglas G. Henry had dreams when he was a lad growing up in London. He wanted to be a track and field Olympian, and he most passionately wished to become an American.

Some of Henry’s aspirations were apparent while he was attending London’s Woolwich Polytechnic Secondary School. He participated in track and field events such as the javelin throw, and the 200 and 400-meter dash and played tune percussion for the band for eight years. When he was 16-years-old, he graduated and decided to attend college where he studied graphic design.

Still aspiring to be an Olympian, Henry kept in shape and eventually competed in the London Championships. There, he took 1st-place in the javelin throw, 2nd-place in the relay, and 3rd-place in the 400-meter dash.

Henry, maintenance chief, Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron-465, never became an Olympian despite his success in track and field; however, Henry would not lose sight of his dream to become a U.S. citizen.

Seeking a challenge and an opportunity to make his dream come true, Henry looked into joining the U.S. Marine Corps. Henry discussed the idea with his father and soon contacted a Marine recruiter in New York.

Shortly after contacting a recruiter in Brooklyn, Henry was standing on the famous yellow footprints at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, S.C a few weeks later.

Henry still felt incomplete even after 21 years of accomplishments in the Marine Corps. He began his paperwork to become an American citizen several times, but he was never at one station long enough to finish the process.

“Every time I started the paperwork for citizenship, it seemed like I had to go somewhere,” Henry said. “I have been to Okinawa six times alone on the Unit Deployment program.”

Henry said that even though it almost seemed impossible to achieve his goal, he never let it go. His wife and inspiration in life, along with his kids supported him the entire way.

“My kids are U.S. citizens, so they really motivated me to finish my dream,” Henry explained. “My family has been very supportive.”

From January to July 2003, Henry was deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. When Henry discovered his unit would return to Iraq, he was almost certain his aspirations would fall short once again.

“I had my paperwork in and my wife called and told me I had an appointment for my citizenship in the states on Feb. 29,” Henry said. “I knew I wouldn’t be able to attend the appointment so I thought I would have to push it to a later date…again.”

Henry then submitted a letter to the Immigrations and Naturalizations Service (INS) to explain his situation and a Marine with the squadron at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar hand-carried the letter to the INS office. Later, he received notice that his appointment was moved to Feb. 4.

Although the deployment was approaching and Henry was a key part of the movement, the command allowed him to travel to the U.S. to complete his journey of citizenship. Henry said the news of going home came as a surprise.

“It shocked me at first because I was sure I wouldn’t be able to go,” Henry said. “It made me feel good inside because they cared about my dream. I didn’t expect it at all.”

On Feb. 4, Henry passed his citizenship test. Later that day, he swore in and took the oath to become a U.S. citizen.

“It was like a race I was running,” Henry said with emotion. “Once I finally finished it and won the medal, I had a rush and complete sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.”

Those who have known Henry for a while say they are happy his dream has become a reality.

“I have known Master Sgt. Henry for some time now. He is a mentor to me,” said Gunnery Sgt. Lee M. Marty, maintenance material control chief for HMH-465. “He is a good role model for Marines and anyone striving to become a citizen.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004229215222/$file/Release0078-2004-01low.jpg

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION FUTENMA, Okinawa, Japan - Master Sgt. Douglas G. Henry, maintenance chief for Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron-465, has been in the helicopter maintenance field for 21 years in the Marine Corps. Henry is a London native. Photo by: Sgt. Danny L. Patterson

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/33D65D5DFB87E11E85256E4A000F594D?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: