PDA

View Full Version : Tipping Is Plain Stupid!

usmc4669
02-29-04, 10:22 AM
BOTTOM LINE: <br />
So why do we allow this scam, in the form/system of &quot;tipping,&quot; to go on by our participation in this practice? Easy! Mainly because of the massive social pressure on us to do so. <br />

CAS3
02-29-04, 10:29 AM
As a former waitress, I would be piZZed if I didn't get a tip. We are working on an hourly wage of 2.00. <br />
The &quot;better&quot; restaurants include the tip in the check. <br />
Plus, nowadays with everyone paying...

usmc4669
02-29-04, 11:24 AM
CAS3 I think that you may have missed the point. From how I read this, the restaurants should pay the waitress a fair wage to wait on tables.

[QUOTE]Geez, Gunny I think you are getting cranky in your old age. I also think you need to find something better to b!tch about.
I would love to see waitstaff start earning 15.00 an hour but are you ready to pay 40.00 for that steak?l/QUOTE]

CAS3,Now why are you getting on my case? I coppied this off of the web. As for $15.00 an hour to serve me a stake, no way, but you should be paid more than minimum wage by the restaurant or then let then get someone else to wait tables, as for me I always tip more that the 15% if the service is good.

Catz1611
02-29-04, 11:24 AM
I agree CAS..But I don't know Gy. so I can't comment on his crankiness..LOL :D <br />
<br />
I lived in Australia for a couple years..and in that county, you don't tip...HOWEVER you DON'T get the service, you...

GySgtRet
02-29-04, 11:42 AM
Catz1611, CAS3

I have never been a waiter. So knowing that the waiter and waitress may get has high as $2.13 an hour hardley enough to buy anything let alone pay their own bills I let them know how they have done good or bad. If they haven't given the service that I have expected but received at the places that I go I refer them to that person, my form of free advice. If they have done well I let them know and hand them the tip. I don't feel that it would be right to let the IRS get it because some people do better than others and the ones that don't usually make out in some way.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Semper Fidelis

greybeard
02-29-04, 11:42 AM
Who forces anyone to work for $2/hr. Your choice isn't it?
I'd love to be making $15/hr too, and I've never been tipped a day in my life. I get the same service whether I tip or not. Waitstaff doesn't know if you are going to tip, till the end of the meal. How bout ag workers? They make very little too, and don't get tips. IRS? You better be paying them-the rest of us have to. It's income, so it's taxable. If I get a production bonus for efficiency or cost cutting ideas, it's taxable. Why should waitstaff get a break the rest of us do not? Why would anyone take a job where their salary is a crapshoot anyway? Totally dependant on the customer's ability to tip or their generosity. Usually no benefits, and no advancement possibilities. Makes no sense to me.

Do I tip? Almost always. Do I like it? NO! If I wanted to pay salaries, I'd start my own business. Waitstaff gets lower wages because they settle for it. They willingly put themselves in that position, consequently have no room to complain. Solution? No one applies for waitstaff jobs. When the owners/management has to do all the service, they'll be glad to raise wages to min wage or higher.

$40 for a ribeye? Ain't gonna happen. Think about it. $6.50/lb for a good steak. 15 miinutes max for a well done (ruined) steak. 6 minutes for a microwaved spud that costs 35 cents in any store. 15 minutes for brown & serve rolls. Pour yourself a glass of tea-10 seconds. All this is done concurrently. Total cost? Less than $10. Time? less than an hour by any stretch of the imagination. $40? dream on.

And you thought the Gunny was cranky. :D

usmc4669
02-29-04, 11:58 AM
CAS3 said
there is a paper trail and the IRS is constantly on our butts.

To me your tips are earned income and you should have to pay taxes on them.

greybeard now that the way I see it.

Cranky old Gunny.LOL