PDA

View Full Version : Fifty Years Later, Iwo Jima Photographer Fights His Own Battle

usmc4669
02-29-04, 09:53 AM
By MITCHELL LANDSBERG,
AP National Writer

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Fifty years ago this month, a young Associated Press photographer named Joe Rosenthal shot the most memorable photograph of World War II, a simple, stirring image of five Marines and one Navy corpsman raising the flag at Iwo Jima.

Go to this site to read the story.

http://www.ap.org/pages/rosenthal.html

greybeard
02-29-04, 12:23 PM
Even without the postage stamp, it is the most re-produced and most recognized photograph in the world. There was serious thought given to putting it onn one of the newer US coins-I can't remember which one.

jfreas
02-29-04, 06:37 PM
USMC4669 (Gunny) Don't mean to be picky, but the photo along with the article about Joe Rosenthal is the one taken by Sgt. Lou Lowery a Marine Combat photographer. I know I met him and have an autographed copy of it. If you'd like a copy of the one I have please contact me at jfreas@rochester.rr.com. Semper FI

benny rutledge
03-02-04, 11:08 AM
Gunny 4669,A good post and a GREAT story on Rosenthal.Have you read" Flags of our Fathers" yet? A great read and the real deal.The follow up is "Flyboys" Thanx again,glad to hear old Rosenthal is still with us!!!