PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Quits in Calif. Headscarf Case

usmc4669
02-28-04, 04:25 PM
LANCASTER, Calif. (AP) - A part-time college instructor accused of ordering a Muslim student to either remove her religious head scarf or leave his class has resigned, school officials said.
Robert Daniel, who taught computer science at Antelope Valley College, submitted his resignation Friday.
The college's board of trustees had been considering disciplinary action against him.
"We could have dismissed him - that was an option," interim college President Jackie Fisher said. "You have two sides to a story, and there was no reason to doubt the student."
the student, Fajr Burhan, complained that Daniel ordered her to remove her head scarf, called a hijab, or leave his computer information science class on Feb. 18.
Burhan, 19, said Daniel told her he did not permit headgear because it might block the view of other students.
Burhan said she refused to take it off and told Daniel the scarf was worn for religious reasons. She said he became "very furious."Seems as if the only religion that you cannot bring into a high school is the Christian religion.
"I had the worst feeling about making this teacher quit or get fired ... and I didn't want to ruin his whole career," Burhan told The Los Angeles Times.
However, she added, "I didn't think he could be fair. Even if he apologized to me, he would have a negative view of Muslims or women who wear the hijab."
There was no immediate comment from Daniel, who had taught at the school since August 2002. No one answered a call Saturday to a phone number for R. Daniel.
Lancaster is located about 70 miles north of Los Angeles.