PDA

View Full Version : Haiti, should we send troops, or should the UN take over.

usmc4669
02-28-04, 11:10 AM
By IAN JAMES

CAP-HAITIEN, Haiti (AP) - Rebel leader Guy Philippe said Saturday he would hold off attacking Haiti's capital for a day or two in response to a U.S. appeal he claimed to have seen on the Internet.

The U.S. Embassy in Port-au-Prince, in a statement issued by telephone to reporters Friday night, appealed to the insurgents to halt their advance on the capital. The United States had already called for Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide to resign.

The dead body of an unidentified man lies in the streets in front of the General Hospital in Port-au-Prince, Haiti Saturday, Feb. 28, 2004. The man was shot dead Friday night. (AP Photo/Rodrigo Abd)

See photo below

greybeard
02-28-04, 12:38 PM
I would say let the blue beanies handle it, but they are so slow and ineffective I doubt the UN could put a force afield before Christmas. It should be a perfect scenario for them tho, but who knows. I'm wondering where OAS is? Haiti is one of the 35 member states. I sure wouldn't look for Canada to contribute. They're bankrupt. I'm guessing we'll let Aristide fall, and hope for new elections. Dang country is so corrupt and poor, it won't matter who is in control.

charlie222
02-28-04, 12:43 PM
I don't think the first military move to help the situation in Haiti should be with any U.N. forces. They can play a part after the first U.S. forces come ashore just like 20 September 1994 when Marine Corps Special Purpose MAGTF Carib landed at Cap Haitien (Operation Uphold Democracy). We hade a presents their until the last 3 or 4 years, but when we started to down-grade look what happen. The Marine Corps has a history in Haiti going back to 1889. charlie222.

namgrunt
02-28-04, 12:52 PM
I'm with Greybeard on this. Let the UN spasmoids handle it. They kept telling us not to move on Iraq. Lets let them handle this on their own without our men standing offshore to pull thier tushies out of the fire in case **it happens.

Like the card dealer said, " PUT up or SHUT up! ", know what I mean.

mrbsox
02-28-04, 04:58 PM
How about we reinforce OUR embassy with ohhhhhh.... maybe a BLT, reinforced of course. After all that IS United States property.

Then, we just DEFEND the Fk out of it. Nobody in OR out with out a Visa. 24/7 control of OUR air space. 24/7 control of OUR territory, people, interests. Board the windows, sandbag the roof, wire the walls, mine the grounds....

Let the whole danm country fall or burn down around it, but DON'T get involved. We don't act, react (except in defense), help, provide, cover, advise, relieve, aid, or anything, without a UN resolution in effect and UN troops in control of the city.

Just a thought !!

Terry

CPLRapoza
02-28-04, 07:49 PM
mrbsox, That's why there is a FAST team there now. They are more then capable of handleing the U.S. Embassy. PLus with the support of the MArine Security Gard Detachment already there, I wouoldn't doubt, that they have already taking the provisions you've stated above. Everything rigth now is going according to SOP. If things worsen to were the Embassy can't be held then there will be and evacuation.