PDA

View Full Version : College smarts give new Marine promising start

thedrifter
02-27-04, 07:10 PM
College smarts give new Marine promising start
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 200422717343
Story by Lance Cpl. Jess Levens

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(February 27, 2004) -- Behind his Coke-bottle glasses is a man with the tools to be a commissioned officer but the desire to live the enlisted life, leading Marines from the front with skills that derive from his maturity and extensive education.

Lance Cpl. Brian Walker, guide Platoon 2150, and Company H's top recruit, was forced to put his knowledge and skills to use when he arrived at the Depot three months ago.

Walker's yearning for education began as a high school senior in Houston. Like his dad, he was a reader, but he couldn't concentrate on an area he liked until he met his history teacher.

"Mr. Villemagna really sparked my interest in history," said Walker. "He held class discussions and always interjected as the devil's advocate. He took the opposite stance and started great discussions."

Walker said he admired Villemagna's passion, and he too began to love history.

After graduation, Walker intended to enroll at the University of Texas in Austin to study history, but a problem arose.

"I had to switch to another school at the last minute," said Walker. "I couldn't afford housing. It turns out I was covered for housing but never got the approval letter."

Because of the postal slip up, Walker wound up at Texas Tech University in Lubbock.

"I wanted to go to UT, but I'm glad I went to Tech," said Walker. "It's a good school, and I made a lot of good friends there."

He began as a history major, but after his freshman year, he changed his major to economics.

"I was intrigued by the way the economy works," said Walker. "Economics makes the world work, and I wanted to be involved."

Walker stayed on the books and kept himself content by playing intramural sports with a group of friends. Prior to graduation, Walker knew he would obtain a bachelor's degree in economics, but he decided to earn a second degree.

"Economics and history go hand-in-hand," said Walker. "I realized I was close to a BA in history too, so I decided to take a few extra classes."

His hard work paid off and he earned two degrees from Tech. The next step in his career was law school.

Before being engulfed by law school, Walker had a change of plans. The military suddenly became an option.

"I felt like it would be wrong if I didn't serve my country," said Walker. "I have a couple friends who are Army lieutenants, and I really respect them. I wanted to be the best and everyone knows the Marines are the best."

Walker decided not to join as an officer because he said he wanted a taste of enlisted life.

"I feel like enlisted people work harder and usually get more respect," said Walker. "If I need to become an officer, I will. But I don't feel that need. I'm happy with my decision."

Immediately after joining Co. H, Walker became the platoon guide because of his intelligence and maturity, according to his senior drill instructor, Staff Sgt. Ruben Urquidez.

"His maturity made him stand out from the beginning," said Urquidez. "His education helps him help the platoon. If I tell him what needs to get done, I know he'll do it immediately and without question."

Walker's experience has also helped him as the platoon's leader. The other recruits look up to him for advice and comfort, according to Urquidez.

"A lot of recruits get homesick here and feel like quitting," said Urquidez. "He could always talk to them and remind them of their reward, which is earning the title Marine. He's become a mentor."

Under Walker's mentorship, he and his platoon graduate today. Walker is off to Marine Combat Training and then to intelligence school, where he said he will use his leadership experience and education to help his fellow Marines.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200422717545/$file/RECRUIT_lr.jpg

PFC Brandon Romero of Temecula, Calif., sleeps after lights-out. He'll sleep eight hours before reveille sounds at 5:30 a.m. Photo by: Staff Sgt. Scott Dunn

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/70BF486BE68FD4A885256E47007930C7?opendocument

The Drifter
:marine: