PDA

View Full Version : A Drunk Driver

benny rutledge
02-26-04, 02:02 PM
Recently saw a Nissan truck with this sticker on the back window,A DRUNK KILLED MY DAUGHTER.I felt awfull and couldn't wait for the light to change,it hurt to look at it.It brought to mind my Mother,who while driving a 47'Ford Delux Coupe(split windshield,no safety glass)drove head on into a Milktruck making morning deliveries.She and her Sister(My Aunt Ann)were both ejected thru the windshield and decapitated.This left my active duty Navy Dad with a 4 and 5 yr.old with no Mom,and my Cousin Hillary an Orphan.My boyhood freind Ron DuFour has a road map of scars on his face from being jammed into the windshield of a 65'Plymouth Fury.He was never the same.We all know some one who has been affected by a Drunk driver.Be a Pal,if you know some one about to drive drunk,Grab the Damned keys!I drive 125 miles a day around town and was damn near killed by a Drunk on a cell phone in November.I had a seat belt on,but my only car was a Total loss and my Ribs took a month to heal.Sorry if I bummed you out,I think it's important.PLEASE stay away from your car if you have been drinking,and DO NOT get into a car with some one who has! I love all you guys and don't want you to be in the Marine Obituaries.:no: :no: :no:

namgrunt
02-27-04, 03:44 PM
I hear you, Benny.
I don't drink and drive, but there are plenty of folks who do. I'm hoping they take different routes than I do, because I ride on two wheels when I travel. In an accident involving an auto and a motorcycle, the biker almost always loses the contest, and big time. I guess MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) could also stand for Marines Against Drunk Dipsticks.

Thanks for your concern, neighbor. My condolensces on the tragic death of your family members. Memories like that are forever, like losing good friends in combat, only deeper. Keep the faith.

Semper Fi!

JAMarine
02-27-04, 04:45 PM
This is a Great Topic to bring up this weekend to your kids.

Thanks for the post.

benny rutledge
03-01-04, 11:26 AM
Thanx,you guys for taking the time to read my post.A little background here.....Margerate Mary Blanche Preston and her Sister Ann were my Mom and Aunt.Both had survived the London Blitz by living in the "Tubes".Margerate met my Dad in 48' when he was deployed to England for the Berlin Airlift.My Dad sponsored Mom,her brother John Preston(Aviation writer/Artist)and Aunt Ann into the States.Margerate and Ann were in their early 20's and doing what young people do,in this case partying at the "Staff" club while Dad was on another flight to Midway or Wake.Margerate was driving Drunk and hit that Milk truck while turning into the Driveway.Death was instantaneous for her and Ann.I was 4 my sister Ann was 3.Dad had freinds in Honolulu and we flew there via a Martin "Mars" Seaplane for 3 yrs.Sometimes a simple bumper sticker is all it takes to remind me I am a victim too,I miss my Mom,I hardly knew her and never met Aunt Ann.By the way,John Preston was killed by a Drunk stepping off a Dallas city bus in 85'

G.L.B.
03-01-04, 03:12 PM
In November of last year my best friend from boot camp and I were driving thru a light and were struck on the passenger side of his truck, by a drunk driver who had stole a company dump truck. I was driving his truck because I wanted to see what his new HIMI was all about. He died three days later. Every day I think about how he took my spot guarding the gates of heven, and I break down.
REST IN PEACE Cpl. Slayton

Simper Fi

benny rutledge
03-02-04, 10:59 AM
G.L.B. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss,a dear friend lost is always a tragedy.I used to go to the local tavern for a small pitcher and a Hamburger.I always enjoyed my night out safely.Bob Dylan said it best,"the times they are a'changin".I now keep a quart of my favorite brew in the icebox and do my drinking at home.Two reasons for that change.Safety first,I don't want to feel the pain of causing a wreck or a death,also in Michigan,one or two beers is all it takes to be legally intoxicated.There goes your car,the fines, the lawyers,the judges and the jail cells don't appeal to me at 55.The loss of my car and freedom is too high a price.I deliver in this area,hence all the miles I drive.I see all manner of Idiots on the road.If I spot a drunk I'll call the Cops in a heartbeat.Lets all learn to be safe out there...Semper Fi