PDA

View Full Version : Marines tote tiny technology to field to pass time

thedrifter
02-26-04, 06:20 AM
Marines tote tiny technology to field to pass time
Submitted by: 1st Force Service Support Group
Story Identification Number: 200422413285
Story by Lance Cpl. Samuel Bard Valliere

CAMP VICTORY, Kuwait(Feb. 24, 2004) -- It used to be that a deck of cards, a paperback and good conversation was all a Marine needed to enjoy the down time of deployments.

Marines and sailors have taken advantage of new smaller, more portable technology and deployed here with laptop computers, personal DVD players, handheld global positioning systems, digital cameras, MP3 players, GameBoys and larger console game systems.

Some Marines bring the gadgets to help them pass the time and keep their minds from dwelling too much on their family and friends back home.

Lance Cpl. Robert G. Moran, 20, with the 1st Force Service Support Group, said that the music and games he brought help him direct his focus on the mission he's out here to accomplish, instead of his life back home.

"I was looking at some pictures the other day and I felt kind of down," said Moran, who can often be found stretched out on his cot playing a video game and listening to a hip-hop album during his off-hours. "All I had to do was put on a CD and relax. I can't let the whole family thing get to me, although I love them a lot."

Moran, a native of San Jose, Calif., spent more than $50 on batteries a few days before he left the states. Others are buying adapters at the local post exchange to accommodate the Kuwaiti power outlets.

Moran said he doesn't worry about the fine desert sand ruining his electronics because, like others, he keeps his CD player and GameBoy in a plastic bag for safekeeping when they're not in use.

Some unit leaders say bringing games and music helps Marines to work better during the day.

"The devices help pass the time and keep up morale," said Sgt. Julius G. Woodley, 25, with Headquarters and Support Battalion, 1st FSSG. "They get your mind off of work at the end of the day so you can come back refreshed the next day."

Not everyone feels that bringing all that entertainment technology is the best way to go, though, and in many tents here, a rousing community game of spades or poker is still preferred over the "solitaire" of video games.

Cpl. Jason D. Crisp, a 21-year-old native of Limestone, Tenn., with I Marine Expeditionary Force's 1st Force Reconnaissance Battalion, said bringing electronic gizmos defeats the purpose of the traditional field experience -- to endure.

"I think not having them makes you a better person because it wakes you up to the things you take advantage of. It makes you appreciate it more," said Crisp, who only brought a set of dominoes to pass the time.

Others, like Master Gunnery Sgt. Gregory S. Jackson, 48, the 1st FSSG's communications chief, who has gone on numerous deployments during his career that spans almost 30 years, agree.

Jackson -- whose only personal electronic item on this deployment is a DVD copy of "Full Metal Jacket" -- claims he doesn't understand the "new Corps'" way of passing time in the field, saying it is grounded too much in spending time alone rather than unit activities.

"They say it's a smarter time now because everyone knows computers, but to me it takes away from just going outside and throwing a ball around and doing stuff together," said Jackson, originally of Renton, Wash. "It's not so much passing the time as it is getting to know the other Marines because you're going to battle with them."

Yet, with all the personal entertainment trinkets getting ever smaller and cheaper, Marines now and in the future will likely be playing cards against a computer and have their face buried in a tiny TV rather than in a book.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004225135454/$file/DVD040219_low.jpg

From left to right, Cpl. Cesar D. Guerra, 24, of Miami, Lance Cpl. Cody S. Braun, 20, of New Philadelphia, Ohio, and Lance Cpl. Mike P. Cellini, 19, of Buffalo, N.Y., watch a movie on a portable DVD player Feb. 19, 2004, at Camp Victory, Kuwait. They are just three of many 1st Force Service Support Group Marines and sailors to bring technology to the field with them to pass the time and make themselves more comfortable while they are away from home. Approximately 25,000 Marines and sailors will be deployed to Iraq and Kuwait under the command of I Marine Expeditionary Force in the coming months, with FSSG making up nearly a fifth of the troops. The Marines are scheduled to relieve Army units in the area west of Baghdad and to to conduct security and stability operations to allow the new Iraqi democracy to get off the ground. 1st FSSG is based in Camp Pendleton, Calif. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Samuel Bard Valliere

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/C814DF740F85D45085256E44006572DC?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

thedrifter
02-26-04, 06:22 AM
BlackBerry PDA changes work habits at Marine Corps Forces Europe HQ

By David Josar, Stars and Stripes
European edition, Wednesday, February 25, 2004

STUTTGART, Germany — Now add a BlackBerry to a Marine’s equipment when he or she is working for Marine Corps Forces Europe Headquarters.

In the past year, roughly 35 Marines assigned to Marine Corps Forces Europe headquarters have been outfitted with BlackBerrys, a cutting-edge personal digital assistant that combines a cellular phone, Internet access, a portable database of names and contacts, and e-mail capability.

The BlackBerry is the size of a thin stack of index cards and sells on Amazon.com for $300 to $400 depending on the model.

“You don’t have to stay at your desk, because you always have your office with you,” said Marine Lt. Col. James E. Nierle, director of communications for Marine Corps Forces Europe, headquartered in Stuttgart.

The BlackBerry frees up users so they can do more than if they didn’t have the technology and had to stay at their desks, Nierle said.

Last week, for example, Nierle was traveling to the Netherlands, and he was able to access and respond to his e-mails while on the train.

Nierle said the command is hoping to increase the number of BlackBerrys it has in the next year.

“We’re pushing the limit of technology,” he said.

Marine Maj. Tim Keefe, public affairs officer for Marine Corps Forces Europe, said that if he needed specifications of a helicopter for a reporter while he was deployed in the field, he could download the information from the Web by using a BlackBerry.

“I wouldn’t have to run to an Internet cafe,” he said.

Within two days of getting his BlackBerry, Keefe said he stopped carrying his cell phone because the PDA had everything he needed in one portable piece of equipment.

Right now, the devices can be used to send and receive only nonclassified e-mails and information, said Larry R. Voss, from Booz Allen Hamilton, a consulting firm hired by Marine Corps Forces Europe to help with technology issues.

To transmit and receive data, such as e-mails, the BlackBerry sends a signal to Marine Corps Forces Europe headquarters, where it’s routed through military computers and a firewall, and then to its recipient, Voss explained.

The information is transmitted in an encrypted format, but the encryption is not secure enough for the U.S. military to use the BlackBerry for classified information, he said.

Voss said he expects technology will be available in five to eight years that would make the BlackBerry usable for classified information. Although the BlackBerry has tri-band cellular phone service, which means it can be used anywhere in the world to send and receive calls, its Internet and e-mail capabilities are limited because not every country — such as Africa and Iraq — has built the networks to handle those functions, Voss said.

Those countries should have that technology soon, he said.

The BlackBerry is an example of the trend toward a mobile, computerized environment, Nierle said, where front-line troops will have immediate access to information.

“It’s not just going to help in the office, but also in tactical situations,” he said.

http://www.estripes.com/photos/20670_224164434b.jpg

David Josar / S&S
A Marine from Marine Corps Forces Europe Headquarters demonstrates the BlackBerry, a personal digital assistant that more than 30 Marines at the headquarters have been issued. The BlackBerry combines a cell phone, database manager, Internet access and e-mail functions.

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=20670

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: