PDA

View Full Version : Career Opportunity??

Marines4life
09-10-02, 07:23 PM
It has been brought to my attention that a former Marine from my old unit is having trouble getting back into the Corps. The reason for wanting back in is because he has not been able to lock down successful employment in the civilian sector, the reason he got out was because of an ugly seperation and bereavement and as a result he has unfortunatelyu claimed himself 3 DWI's ( all of which has been taken care of and dealt with) and his wife has left him. In our last convo he relayed to me that he was told that the Corps now considered him to be unhireable. I've spent 8 yrs. with him and I know this Marine to be an outstanding NCO and I prided myself to work with him. He is a Team Player and I would gladly seek his presence in combat. My question is... A Marine such as this is at his wits end and with the country in it's current state, would'nt it make sense that if this is his way of living and that the Corps is what he was good at...should we leave him out to dry?

Sixguns
09-10-02, 07:39 PM
For reenlistment. The RE (Reenlistment Code) is entered at time of spearation in accordance with Seps Manual. If the first digit is a 3, it would require a waiver for reenlistment. If the first digit is a 4, there is no reenlistment authorized. There are ways, through the VA, that an RE-4 can be overturned or upgraded. With such an upgrade a waiver can be obtained to process a reenlistment package. There is a lengthy process to get all this done. Have him check the DD214 and most likely his next move will be to contact the VA and discuss upgrading his RE code.

As if that isn't enough to cause someone to give up, once he upgrades his RE code and applies for reenlistment, the Marine Corps decides what rank, MOS and duty assignment he would be considered for as part of his reenlistment. Basically, a deal is offered by the Corps and if not accepted by the Marine, there is no counter-offer. So, essentially, he has one shot to take reenlistment authority and use it. If he declines, there is no second chance.

SF,

Marines4life
09-10-02, 07:55 PM
SixGuns- Thanks for the hasty reply... He has a RecStat of 1A.
I think that The recruiters don't want to do the leg work. Which is fine, I could see why they'd rather not get involved with all of the waivers, but, He'll do whatever it takes and take whatever he can get. What is discouraging to him is when he hears " There's nothing we can do" or " the Corps isn't hiring right now". This guy desperatley needs to get back in, it's all he knows. I'll do as you advised and get him to the VA. But, what would be the next possible course of action for him?

top1371
09-10-02, 08:43 PM
I would send him to see the "Prior-Service Recruiter" he could call the RS (not the RSS or PCS) to find out who and where it is. A regular recruiter does not handle re-enlistment of Prior-Service Marines.

Along with that, the DUI's will still be a problem, even if they have been taken care of.

Semper Fi,

LadyLeatherneck
09-10-02, 10:07 PM
I have a question! :D And I'm being serious here so maybe
you can answer my question Sixguns. You know how when you
sign your contact it's for 8 years, 4 active and 4 in the IRR. Is
it possible to go back in the IRR without having to be an active
reservist if you have broken time?

Barrio_rat
09-10-02, 11:27 PM
I've got an answer. Most recent that I know of. I was talking with a Marine recruiter a couple months ago at a county fair. He has a guy, prior service, that he's trying to get back into the Corps. This guy wants back in and has some major qualifications. The reason, at least at the time, that this Marine was not allowed back in the Corps is because too many Marines are staying in. There is no room for 'em. CMC is not allowing any prior service Marines to come back in at this time, no matter what the re-enlistment code. From what this recruiter stated, the guy is checking in every few weeks to see if there's been any change in status. Hope this has helped.

docmeyer
09-11-02, 05:52 PM
So there I was, career Marine, DI, Staff Sergeant, college degree, no black marks on my record...then I pi$$ed off the Depot General(PI), he said "bringeth thou head on thee platter", and out the door I went after 12 years, and a kick in the pants RE4.

Wrote my congressman, HQMC said that I was rotten to the Corps and they wouldn't upgrade my code.

Put it on the backburner, years later, it burned me up again, I wrote HQMC, they said you knew what you were getting and time isn't going to change anything.

So now my plea sits in front of the board of naval appeals.

I have an opportunity to join a Army National Guard IT unit as a network security engineer, if only I had a RE3 (I know but at least I can work towards retirement).

Want to know what I did to pi$$ off the Depot General while I was a DI? Send me a PM, all I ask is that you please keep it private.

~d
:banana:

SGT T
09-12-02, 11:08 AM
TO THE MARINES RE CODE AND HIS 3 DWI'S. I WORK FOR AN RS I CAN TELL YOU WE WILL DO THE LEG WORK. RIGHT NOW UNLESS HE HAS ON PRIOR REENLISTMENT WHILE ON ACTIVE DUTY..WE CAN NOT DO ANYTHING WITH HIM UNTIL JAN 1 2003. ALSO DID HE GET HIS DWI IN THE CORPS OR OUT OF THE CORPS. IF HE RECIEVED WHILE IN THAT MEANS REGARDLESS OF HIS 1A HE HAD 3 SERIOUS OFFENSES WHILE IN AND THE MAKES HIM NONQUALIFIED FOR REENLISTMENT. I HAVE NO DOUBT THAT HE IS AN OUTSTANDING MARINE AND BELIEVE I WISH I COULD CHANGE THE RULES BUT THE TRUTH IS THAT UNLESS HE CAN GET CMC TO WAIVER HIS DWI IT WOULD NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE FOR HIM TO REENLIST.

Marines4life
09-12-02, 06:13 PM
;) Thanks for the hasty responses.
Again, I've checked his recstat, it's 1A ,from what I can tell after 8 yrs. he does'nt have a blemish in his SRB which means he rec'vd the DWI's outside the Corps. His last one was rec'vd in 1999.
Top- I've taken this guy up to Prior Service and they've rejected him because of the waiver situation, but I think the problem is alittle bit deeper for 2 reasons. As someone stated, the Corps is'nt hiring because there's no room,due to recent events, and finally, the character of this guy is being judged before he is actually being looked at.
I have shown him all of your responses and he appreciates the fact that there are still Marines out there that understand when one of there own is down.
SGT T- if you could send me a PM with a detailed list of what it is you actually need for "foot work" purposes, I'll be sure that you get what you need in a timely manner. From one "Bone Roller" to another.
DOC- Whatever it was, I'm sure it was done in perfect Marine Corps Fashion...