PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Enlisting / OCC.

impact
02-25-04, 03:10 AM
First, a great big THANK YOU to the owners/admins/and frequent posters on this forum. I have already learned a great deal from reading your posts and I hope that those with expertise in my area of inquiry can help answer my questions.

Second, I apologize to those of you reading this because I find it important for me to go over my past in order for you to fully understand the scope of my questions.

I am a 2nd semester Junior in college with intentions of graduating in the spring of 2005 with a B.S. in Administration of Justice (parallel to a Criminal Justice degree). I have always been interested in joining the military, especially the Marine Corps., but was unable to act upon my interest. As a student in high-school I was strong academically (graduated 12th in a class of 160 and was a member of the national honor society) and was active in playing soccer (varsity captain for 2 years, MVP 2 years). As I shipped off to college I became very homesick and fell into a state of depression. Suffice to say, I was medically diagnosed with depression and my school work suffered greatly. After 2 1/2 years I was dismissed from school for poor academics.

At that point I decided that my life was going to change, then and there. I attended a community college for a year and earned a 4.0 gpa and now I am at a 4-year school with a 3.7 gpa. The depression is currently in remission and I intend it to stay that way forever. I was faced with an adverse situation and overcame it with sheer determination and dedication. I have my stuff together now, both mentally and academically, and I now know that I can persue the chance to become a Marine.

My questions to you are:

1. Due to my diagnoses of depression does that disqualify me from being able to enlist?

2. I realize that I should attempt to earn a spot in OCC, but I have read that it is highly selective and I feel that having been diagnosed with depression (and my dismissal from my first college) will automatically red flag me so that I will not be chosen. Is this true?

3. Is it common to find college graduates enlisting instead of trying for OCC?

4. Do you have any advice for me?

I have every intention of contacting a recruiter very soon, but I want to approach the situation with as much viable information as possible, which is why I am asking all of you. Thanks in advance to your insight!

jdfairman
02-25-04, 11:00 PM
Check under the Marine Officer Programs thread for a little more info.
As far as your history of depression, its hard to tell. You would have to talk to your area Officer Selection Officer. To be honest, it very well might be disqualifying; however, you need to check into it. I think it depends on the circumstances. You're not being treated for it now.